• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I don’t think we need to move up. If he goes earlier then you just go BPA and look at Charbonet in the second or third.

I’ve seen a few mocks with Bijan. Imho the value of Bijan at 21 is too great to pass up.
    At 21 - I would agree.
    trading up to me - especially with a pick in rounds 2-4 is just not good long term strategy from a roster build perspective (and cap) with Herbert coming due. And as it is, right now, Bijan is probably the ONLY player I am staying at 21 for. Everybody else, if you can move back - get one more pick on Day 2 - I would do that.

Comment

• gzubeck
      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
      • Jan 2019
      • Tucson, AZ
      • Send PM

If I'm moving up it's to the #3 spot for Will Anderson.
      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Tds and preventing tds how did our 27-0 lead and touchdowns do for us? A strong running game with a back who can make bad run blocking look average not a back who makes bad blocking look worse, can win games your passing game puts you ahead on.

I juries last year would have been mitigated with a complete running back to keep defenses honest. Our rookie LT played very well and our OL was forced to pass block over and over allowing teams to Tee off on Herbert and force errant throws because we lacked a run game.

A truly multidimensional back is needed on this team to allow Herbert to not have to do it all. Ekeler for his strengths still puts all the weight on Herbert.
        We didn't get to 27-0 by running the football. Our defense did that. I'm sorry but no RB no matter how good can overcome bad blocking. LT had bad games,
        so did Sanders. When the blocking stinks (ours does) the running game doesn't work. No blocking means no running game.

True we lacked a run game, because we couldn't block. That forced us into the short passing game. We have a multi-dimensional RB his name is Ekeler, turns out
        he can run and pass catch pretty well. What you want is a 230lb guy that can plow into the LOS and fall forward for 2 yards when nothing is there.

We don't have that guy, neither do the 49ers but they are a great running team. Want to know why? They run a blocking scheme that works for their personnel.
        Unfortunately Lombardi was not that guy. He ran the offense he knew, which due to injury fell short. Remember that under the same Lombardi, Herbert had his best year.

In the Jags game they dared us to beat them in the air, and we couldn't. 3 points in the second half didn't help. Once Davis went down our defense was toast. Can't
        blame Ekeler for that.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
          If I'm moving up it's to the #3 spot for Will Anderson.
          The would cost the current first and second, plus the future first and second
          Cardinals are probably not dropping back that far

Chargers cannot afford to use that much draft capital. Plus an additiional 4.5m in cap space would be needed. I think Telesco needs just solid singles and doubles.

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The would cost the current first and second, plus the future first and second
            Cardinals are probably not dropping back that far

Chargers cannot afford to use that much draft capital. I think Telesco needs just solid singles and doubles
            I know this...it was a comparison to all the Bijan fanatics who want to move up to 5-9th pick. I don't know why people are not on the Myles Murphy Bandwagon. i rate him up there close to a Will Anderson Athletics-wise. I would even move up a couple of spots to get him. He's like 95% Will Anderson and definitely will be disruptive.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

It sure can with 27-0 games…
              We didn't get to 27-0 by running the football. Once there a running game would have worked. Unfortunately we don't have one. The primary
              reason: Poor blocking schemes, bad run play design. Fix that and Ekeler is fine. With that said if Bijan is there @21 take him. He's going to be
              pretty damn good in the NFL.

He's a playmaker and that's exactly what the Chargers need more of. However I am not moving up to #5 or #10
              to get him. It would cost us too much for a team that has many other needs with no cap room and a franchise QB to sign.
              As I've said previously if he falls below #15 I would be on board to trade up to get him. It would cost us a 3rd. With TT's
              history on 3rd rounders, no problem.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I know this...it was a comparison to all the Bijan fanatics who want to move up to 5-9th pick. I don't know why people are not on the Myles Murphy Bandwagon. i rate him up there close to a Will Anderson Athletics-wise. I would even move up a couple of spots to get him. He's like 95% Will Anderson and definitely will be disruptive.
                Oh gotcha. Hell I think moving up to the mid teens to get Bijan isn't smart - let alone inside the top 10. To get to Chicago - it would cost a current 2nd and a 2024 3rd or somnething along those lines

So maybe 1/2/future 3rd for 1/current 4th

I agree with you Telesco needs to do his job and find good players that can fill in the gaps and are productive players. The Chargers shouldn't need stars - they have Herbert - they need a bunch of role players that are productive.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Jacobs doesn't rush for 174 in every game. He does it against us and other weak defenses against the run. Raiders lost the their PO game. So it's not that they were great,
                  We were miserable stopping the run. This was not something new, we were bad all last season and this last one too.

They were unbalance because our run blocking stinks. Take a look at how many times we ran left, versus the right side. Why? The answer should help you out.
                  We were decent to good at pass blocking when there were no blitzing or we didn't face elite edge rushers. Once teams blitzed or they had an elite guy Herbert was
                  under constant pressure. Thus all the dump offs. They were not designed plays, it was what Herbert had to do to stay alive.

If you want to run the ball fix the blocking. Then we can talk about Bijan. By the way if he falls to #21 I wouldn't hesitate to take him. I'm just not giving up the farm
                  to get a RB, any RB. There are other options that are also pretty good. If we think we really need a RB we should be able to get one in the 2nd or 3rd round.
                  They lost their playoff game by one TD to the team that went to the Super Bowl. Everyone else in the AFC path lost to that same team, don’t make it sound like they lost to Indy. I didn’t say they were great, Oakland is never great. I said they beat us in the WC clinching game by running the ball. They did, I didn’t say they are the greatest rushing team ever. I said they beat us running the ball. Why did i? Because you said to the effect that rushing doesnt win games. and its true it doesnt always, nothing is “always” - but It took me 3 seconds to remember an important game where it did.

we can talk about Bijan now too. He won’t fall to 10, LAC won’t get to draft him, but I can imagine what our offense would be like with LT & Barry Sander’s love child for another … what, 5 weeks?

I have the vision to see it. Everyone told Nikola that alternating current was crazy whack voodoo. Then they ripped him off and stole it and got stinking rich. Someone is gonna steal Bijan and on every future birthday, LT and Barry will bake the sweetest cupcakes ya ever tasted.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Charbonet doesn’t have the quickness of Bijan. Charbonet is great but he is missing the quickness to get up to top speed that Bijan has. Otherwise he’s really good and I wouldn’t hate it if we go WR rd1 and Charbonet rd2.
                    Charbonet is not as quick, he is also not as fast. He’s a good prospect, would upgrade our current RB group. But he’s no Bijan.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

They lost their playoff game by one TD to the team that went to the Super Bowl. Everyone else in the AFC path lost to that same team, don’t make it sound like they lost to Indy. I didn’t say they were great, Oakland is never great. I said they beat us in the WC clinching game by running the ball. They did, I didn’t say they are the greatest rushing team ever. I said they beat us running the ball. Why did i? Because you said to the effect that rushing doesnt win games. and its true it doesnt always, nothing is “always” - but It took me 3 seconds to remember an important game where it did.

we can talk about Bijan now too. He won’t fall to 10, LAC won’t get to draft him, but I can imagine what our offense would be like with LT & Barry Sander’s love child for another … what, 5 weeks?

I have the vision to see it. Everyone told Nikola that alternating current was crazy whack voodoo. Then they ripped him off and stole it and got stinking rich. Someone is gonna steal Bijan and on every future birthday, LT and Barry will bake the sweetest cupcakes ya ever tasted.
                      LOL on this comment!

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

We lost to them by 3. What's the point? They lost.

They beat us by running the football because our run D also stinks just like our run blocking. We also had bad coaching, bad in game decisions, bad pass blocking.
                        That beat us more than what the Raiders did.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Charbonet is not as quick, he is also not as fast. He’s a good prospect, would upgrade our current RB group. But he’s no Bijan.
                          Not even sure he would unseat Kelley at this level. Maybe, dunno for sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X