Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Doubt you will get Gibson AND a 3rd
    I'd take Gibson and a 5th. I mocked Gibson to us back them but as a 4th rounder. He went sooner, 3rd round I believe.

Not sure why Washington would want to trade him but they do have Brian Robinson. However he isn't much as a recieving RB.

Gibson was a reciever they gave carries to in college and Washington converted him to RB.

Comment

• LarryAW
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It sucks for the guy. I get it. He probably outplayed that contract. Through no fault of his own - -Lombo loved those little dump offs as the running game was not good and injuries to WRs and Telesco thought Michael Bandy and Jason Moore were NFL calibre players (note:: theyaren't)

But moving forward - with where his numbers and production SHOULD BE - he is being paid the right amount I think. In a normal offense, he would be a solid 3rd down option who gets 400 yards rushing and maybe 60 catches on the year.
      With his stats, I understand his position, and I understand he wants a long-term contract (career-threatening injury).

He's been used too much, but now that Lombardi is history, I don't see that happening again. Teams are probably waiting for him to cause problems and pick him up after he's released. I hope it doesn't come to that. He's valuable, just not as valuable as he thinks he is. No idea what planet Spotrac is on. ;-)

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

Though I usually look at Over-the-Cap, I have a link to Spotrac. This is DEFINITELY why Ekeler thinks he's worth $12+M.

Austin Ekeler contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

Market Value
        • 3 yrs, $38,466,350
        • Avg. Salary: $12,822,117
        • NFL Rank: 164
        • RB Rank: 3
        Current Contract
        • Free Agent: 2024
        • Avg. Salary: $6,125,000
        • NFL Rank: 330
        • RB Rank: 13

Honor your contract. I don't see them giving money back when they suck.
        Yup. That's where the upwards of $12M came from. California dreamin.

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

With his stats, I understand his position, and I understand he wants a long-term contract (career-threatening injury).

He's been used too much, but now that Lombardi is history, I don't see that happening again. Teams are probably waiting for him to cause problems and pick him up after he's released. I hope it doesn't come to that. He's valuable, just not as valuable as he thinks he is. No idea what planet Spotrac is on.
          ;-)
          Seems that Spotrac is coming up with value compared to other top RB production. That’s the challenge is the past two years he has been as productive as any RB in the league.

The other BIG issue for Ekeler is that he has ZERO guaranteed money remaining on his deal. If the team wants him to show up and participate in off-season workouts. training camp and preseason games they should guarantee his 2023 salary. If he gets seriously injured before final cuts he will get nothing. If I were Ek I wouldn’t step foot on the field until my salary for this year is guaranteed or I get an extension with up-front $.

I’d like to see them sign him to an extension that adds 2yrs and $15m to his current deal, with at least $10m in a signing bonus. That would give him the security he deserves and a modest raise, but takes into consideration the desire to reduce his workload. It would effectively be a 3-yr $21M deal with an out after yr 2. I think he’s got at least 2 more great years before we see some decline.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

Seems that Spotrac is coming up with value compared to other top RB production. That’s the challenge is the past two years he has been as productive as any RB in the league.

The other BIG issue for Ekeler is that he has ZERO guaranteed money remaining on his deal. If the team wants him to show up and participate in off-season workouts. training camp and preseason games they should guarantee his 2023 salary. If he gets seriously injured before final cuts he will get nothing. If I were Ek I wouldn’t step foot on the field until my salary for this year is guaranteed or I get an extension with up-front $.

I’d like to see them sign him to an extension that adds 2yrs and $15m to his current deal, with at least $10m in a signing bonus. That would give him the security he deserves and a modest raise, but takes into consideration the desire to reduce his workload. It would effectively be a 3-yr $21M deal with an out after yr 2. I think he’s got at least 2 more great years before we see some decline.
            Well they offered him more money - per reports - they just didn't agree on the dollar value

you are right, they can say here is your money guaranteed for this year

If they had made different moves with players like Allen, Bosa &/or Mack - I think they could have extended Ekeler - but, they took the other route and not sure its smart to just keep adding to 2024. I think at this point - it should be wait and see how this year goes. The Chargers cap is ugly next year if this thing goes sideways. And there gets to a point where cutting guys doesn't get you the cap space you need if you keep digging the hole

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

Is it true if a player is under contract and gets injured during Team activities that they can just cut him and pay zero? I didn’t think they still could do that per CBA but will step aside for the experts to weigh in.

he’d risk future contract years, true on that.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Is it true if a player is under contract and gets injured during Team activities that they can just cut him and pay zero? I didn’t think they still could do that per CBA but will step aside for the experts to weigh in.

he’d risk future contract years, true on that.
                I am not sure but I did see something a while ago that the CBA protects players from injury related issues. What a team can do is cut the player under contract if his guaranteed
                money has been paid (sans injury). So for example if the Chargers want to move on from Ekeler assuming no injures they can cut him since his guaranteed money has already
                been paid. In such a case the Chargers would take a $1.5M dead cap. That's what happens when you turn contract money into bonus which for the cap is spread out into future
                years.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

I am not sure but I did see something a while ago that the CBA protects players from injury related issues. What a team can do is cut the player under contract if his guaranteed
                  money has been paid (sans injury). So for example if the Chargers want to move on from Ekeler assuming no injures they can cut him since his guaranteed money has already
                  been paid. In such a case the Chargers would take a $1.5M dead cap. That's what happens when you turn contract money into bonus which for the cap is spread out into future
                  years.
                  Why do teams do injury settlements if they can just cut a guy and not pay him? It’s not guaranteed money, is it? I’d think players lawyer would tell them to pound sand if they didnt want to pay money guaranteed by contract.

I’ve read some players have an injury clause that allows the team to pay less if the player is on IR - some are 50% while injured. I don’t know of a clause like that is in Eke’s contract. still murky to me … where is our resident legal expert Trumpy?
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Why do teams do injury settlements if they can just cut a guy and not pay him? It’s not guaranteed money, is it? I’d think players lawyer would tell them to pound sand if they didnt want to pay money guaranteed by contract.

I’ve read some players have an injury clause that allows the team to pay less if the player is on IR - some are 50% while injured. I don’t know of a clause like that is in Eke’s contract. still murky to me … where is our resident legal expert Trumpy?
                      They can't just cut and not pay him when there is an injury involved. That's where the CBA stepped in and had injury settlement dialog in the contract. But without injury they can
                      cut a player without cause and not pay him IF his guaranteed money has already been paid. That is the situation with Ekeler, as it stand no injury involved and his guaranteed
                      money has already been paid. If we cut him it would same some cap space at the expense of losing his services.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Though I usually look at Over-the-Cap, I have a link to Spotrac. This is DEFINITELY why Ekeler thinks he's worth $12+M.

Austin Ekeler contract and salary cap details, full contract breakdowns, salaries, signing bonus, roster bonus, dead money, and valuations.

Market Value
                        • 3 yrs, $38,466,350
                        • Avg. Salary: $12,822,117
                        • NFL Rank: 164
                        • RB Rank: 3
                        Current Contract
                        • Free Agent: 2024
                        • Avg. Salary: $6,125,000
                        • NFL Rank: 330
                        • RB Rank: 13

Honor your contract. I don't see them giving money back when they suck.
                        ^ This. Ekkie knew what he was doing when he signed that $24 mil four-year extension with a $6 mil signing bonus in 2020...he's lucky the Bolts signed him as a FA and gave him the chance to even play in the NFL...PLAY OUT YER CONTRACT, DUDE!!!
                        (Oh, and don't pull a Moaning Mel either, or I'll start calling u "Extravagant Ekkie"...)

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                          Ugh. You just reminded me that Staley is still the coach

Comment

Working...
                          X