• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

We do not know his mindset. But if he wanted a trade and doesn't get it - will that carry over to the field. Ek seems like a professional - just do not know

I have always thought his value was a 4th round pick. But I also think there is value even if its a 5th round pick because of the cap space. For the Chargers to succeed next year, Ekeler cannot have 100 catches and 18 touchdowns. His role would be diminished which means his value in free agency next year would go down.
    If TT is doing the picking there is no value in a 4th or 5th round pick, except perhaps as leverage to move up in the draft.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

I think the Chargers need an infusion of speed and playmaking ability on the offensive side of the ball: whether that is RB or WR

And if the Chargers have Ekeler, Williams, Palmer, Allen and a TE back on the roster with Spiller and Kelley - where is the infusion going to come from.

I guess that is why I am a proponent of moving on from Ekeler.
      Wait you want to move on from Ek, but you're OK with a backup WR? FYI, Ek was the most productive player on offense last year. I get that
      he wants more money than the Chargers are willing to fork out, but Ek wouldn't be the first one out the door if I had a choice.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

pretty simple.... Ek is seeking McCaffrey monies, and TT has a history of taking care of his own, and so.... guessing the hold up is w/guaranteed dollars ??
        5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Wait you want to move on from Ek, but you're OK with a backup WR? FYI, Ek was the most productive player on offense last year. I get that
          he wants more money than the Chargers are willing to fork out, but Ek wouldn't be the first one out the door if I had a choice.
          Most productive player - and not blaming him - but that wasn't a good offense. The running game needs to improve and the passing game needs to become more vertical. In those two scenarios, the value of Ekeler declines. If Ekeler is on the roster in 2023 and he has close to 100 catches and 18 touchdowns - thats not a good thing for the Chargers in all likelihood.

As for back up WR or 5th round pick - its more about moving on from a player that doesn't want to be on the team. Its that simple

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Doesnt seem like the Ekler camp is very flexible. I mean they played the drastic trade me card very quickly here.
            If you truly believe you should get at least 10mil as your floor. But are looking for 12 or more. And Chargers are only willing to go as high as 8.5mil on the extension.
            Then Ekeler says well can I get a trade so I can get paid what I think I'm worth. And Chargers granted him permission to try.

He may find there are no teams willing to give 10mil or more and his best offer is roughly the same number Chargers were at.
            Who has it better than us?

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Trend not looking good for Ekeler getting more money. Williams just got a three-year, $12 mil deal. Montgomery got a three-year $18 mil deal. Jacobs and Barkley got the $10.1 mil tag (and Ekeler is not in their class).

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

If you truly believe you should get at least 10mil as your floor. But are looking for 12 or more. And Chargers are only willing to go as high as 8.5mil on the extension.
                Then Ekeler says well can I get a trade so I can get paid what I think I'm worth. And Chargers granted him permission to try.

He may find there are no teams willing to give 10mil or more and his best offer is roughly the same number Chargers were at.
                I suspect he comes back and plays out his contract this year and hopes he has a good year and the RB market goes up next year.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Most productive player - and not blaming him - but that wasn't a good offense. The running game needs to improve and the passing game needs to become more vertical. In those two scenarios, the value of Ekeler declines. If Ekeler is on the roster in 2023 and he has close to 100 catches and 18 touchdowns - thats not a good thing for the Chargers in all likelihood.

As for back up WR or 5th round pick - its more about moving on from a player that doesn't want to be on the team. Its that simple
                  The offense not being good had nothing to do with Ekeler. In fact just the opposite, without Ekeler last year our offense would have been far worse.
                  Ekeler doesn't have to have 100 catches and 18 TDs for the Chargers to succeed. That doesn't mean he's not a big part of the offense.

A better blocking scheme and a complement RB to Ekeler is what we need to improve the running game. Getting rid of Ekeler means the offense
                  takes a step back unless they find 2 RBs, each with different strengths. Spiller, Kelly and Co are not going to cut it.

The cowbell RB in the NFL is more or less dead. There are less than 5 guys that can carry the ball 300+ times and be successful.
                  The vast majority of teams are going with 2 or more RBs. We have one that is excellent at what he does. We just need another different type.
                  That's on TT and his failure not Ekeler.

I don't remember Ekeler saying he doesn't want to be on the team. The problem as usual is the money. He believes or wants to be paid at
                  the top end, usually with an extension and guaranteed money. The Chargers don't want to go there, so he's seeking employment elsewhere.
                  Don't know if it's going to work, but the situation is he's choice and the Chargers. Mutual disagreement.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I guess Ekeler isn't in touch with MG III or wasn't paying attention.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                      I think this is being allowed by the Bolts to gauge his value by other teams. Common practice in this business. Let other teams show what they think he is worth. However just because we are so close now...i do not mind upping his pay this season to the franchise tag number. Small reward. But you have to make concessions when you have a QB set to hit 50M per. Easier position to get right in the draft. At least for many other teams. I also would not mind Zeke relief duties if he is cheap. Or Fournette. Maybe they want to SB run and audition for another small contract. Team said it wants to get better in the run game...in my mind i thought it could mean adding to the OL...but its possible they are targeting RB. You dont say that with Spiller and Kelley and Ekeler on the roster. Chase Brown in the 3rd intrigues me. He has a scary first cut. I dont know how many ankles ive seen him break on film. Has some Pollard in him. But also reminds me a little of Ryan Matthews.

Absolutely on board with a drafted RB now. I thought AE would for sure get a new deal with us just because he defies nature and aging etc. But he needs a comp piece. A good one. He has said so himself.
                      Agree on RB but don't want Zeke or Fournette. Those two are beat up.

Draft pick. Bijan, and I also like Chase Brown and his laser one cut, also like Rochon Johnnson and yeah, Gibbs and Spears.

As for a cheap vet, I like James Robinson, D'Onta Foreman, D'Ernest Johnson....in that order. Foreman though not much of a pass catcher.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree on RB but don't want Zeke or Fournette. Those two are beat up.

Draft pick. Bijan, and I also like Chase Brown and his laser one cut, also like Rochon Johnnson and yeah, Gibbs and Spears.

As for a cheap vet, I like D'Ernest Johnson, James Robinson, D'Onta Foreman.
                        If Bijan is as good as some people claim we are not getting him at #21. That means one of those other guys and then we'd need another RB
                        because Kelly and Spiller are not going to replace what Ekeler does. Kellly is same type as Ekeler, but not as good. Spiller almost the same
                        size as Kelly and hasn't shown anything. Doesn't look like a power back or a Ronnie Harmon type.

Why don't we pay Ekeler, cut ties with Kelly and Spiller and draft a decent RB?

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

Hmmm maybe they don't wanna pay Eke more because they Are targeting Bijon in the 1st???Hmmm...

Comment

Working...
                          X