Welcome LB Daiyan Henley, Washington St. (Round 3 #85)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Leonard for the Colts admitted he was playing around 220 most of his Allpro season with them, at one time weighing in the teens, and said he wants to keep playing lighter...

Fewer power backs and TEs that look like smallish OTs...fullbacks nearly extinct...and a game that has sped up and become centered around the pass...it has become more important for speed, range, and agility in our LBs, vs guys having that extra weight to bring some thump...and brains...in todays game, you gotta know where to be, and get there FAST!
    Definitely LBs have gotten smaller. And you're right, the emphasis is more on speed with how the game has evolved. It's not a position I've paid much attention to. I thought you had to be Brian Urlacher size (6-4, 258) to be successful. Micah Parsons is 6-3, 245. Donnie Edwards was one of my favorite players when he was with the Bolts. He played at 6-2 227. Some claim he was a liability against the run, but he was a great pass defender. He led the Chargers in INTs in 2005 & 2006 I think.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Henley could EASILY be the best coverage LB the Bolts have had in a long time. I'm less certain how he'll hold up in run support, and of course, a lot depends on how well the Bolts' D-line can clog running lanes.

For Henley to shine in coverage, he'll need his teammates to create the kind of pass pressure that forces hurried and/or ill-timed throws.

Very curious to see what Henley can do. With Eric Kendricks in the lineup, Henley will have competent play next to him, along with vet guidance. You can't put a price on that.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
        Henley could EASILY be the best coverage LB the Bolts have had in a long time. I'm less certain how he'll hold up in run support, and of course, a lot depends on how well the Bolts' D-line can clog running lanes.

For Henley to shine in coverage, he'll need his teammates to create the kind of pass pressure that forces hurried and/or ill-timed throws.

Very curious to see what Henley can do. With Eric Kendricks in the lineup, Henley will have competent play next to him, along with vet guidance. You can't put a price on that.
        He’s on the slighter side but in college he sliced thru defenders like a Ginzu knife. Not every great rush support LB is huge. He likes to hit and is a great tackler; when he tackles, the runner stops or goes backwards - ain’t no 5 yard side saddle drag along ride for him. (At least, that was him in college - tbd in pros of course).
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Every coverage LB benefits from hurried/ill-timed throws, even crappy ones. But yes, hopefully Henley is as good as touted.

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
            ain’t no 5 yard side saddle drag along ride for him. (At least, that was him in college - tbd in pros of course.
            I read the current average NFL RB is now at 215lbs. Having 225lb LB's are a non-issue.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

I read the current average NFL RB is now at 215lbs. Having 225lb LB's are a non-issue.
              really? I know they've trended lighter but 215 sounds like a SS average. Dylan's 225 will be 230 by camp, then maybe 235 opening day, it'll be fine, I suspect you are right - speed and not getting all caught in the wash is more important than an extra 10 lbs - he will be dodging guys that are 300 lbs, strength on strength isnt the way to go about that.

Comment

• AK47
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2019
                • Send PM

really? I know they've trended lighter but 215 sounds like a SS average. Dylan's 225 will be 230 by camp, then maybe 235 opening day, it'll be fine, I suspect you are right - speed and not getting all caught in the wash is more important than an extra 10 lbs - he will be dodging guys that are 300 lbs, strength on strength isnt the way to go about that.

I read from here https://operations.nfl.com/inside-fo...he-nfl-player/

"Running backs today average just shorter than 6 feet, and 215 pounds. On those terms alone, Nagurski would not be outmatched. But today’s runners use their size to hide behind the massive linemen blocking in front of them, and spend countless hours in training to develop the acceleration and lower body strength to speed through holes and fight for extra yardage."

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

I read from here https://operations.nfl.com/inside-fo...he-nfl-player/

"Running backs today average just shorter than 6 feet, and 215 pounds. On those terms alone, Nagurski would not be outmatched. But today’s runners use their size to hide behind the massive linemen blocking in front of them, and spend countless hours in training to develop the acceleration and lower body strength to speed through holes and fight for extra yardage."
                  oh snap, my bad. I read too fast - thought you said "the average LB..." not RB. regrets. yeah, that sounds true for RBs.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Definitely LBs have gotten smaller. And you're right, the emphasis is more on speed with how the game has evolved. It's not a position I've paid much attention to. I thought you had to be Brian Urlacher size (6-4, 258) to be successful. Micah Parsons is 6-3, 245. Donnie Edwards was one of my favorite players when he was with the Bolts. He played at 6-2 227. Some claim he was a liability against the run, but he was a great pass defender. He led the Chargers in INTs in 2005 & 2006 I think.
                    I liked Donnie too. Still have a jersey. When he was getting called "ankle biter" for pulling down a got away ball carrier and getting drug, where the hell were his teammates? I could see him being the first tackler but why was he the only tackler? I don't think this team plays that way.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I liked Donnie too. Still have a jersey. When he was getting called "ankle biter" for pulling down a got away ball carrier and getting drug, where the hell were his teammates? I could see him being the first tackler but why was he the only tackler? I don't think this team plays that way.
                      Henley’s college tape says what it says - he’s decisive, incisive and he slices thru defense to the ball carrier to square up and deliver straight up punishing tackles. He plays strong, great technique for a recent LB convert, very few tackles are biting at ankles or as I said the other day “5 yard side saddle ride along tackles”. If he translates that style and ability to the NFL he will be a fucking home run and rival TT’s one and only great R3 pick in a decade, Slayer.

I see he is undersized by historic measures, but like a couple i also see the trending to lighter faster LBs that can do more than just clog up the middle on rush defense. Where Edge used to be 270+, we’re now seeing guys in 240s succeed there. Same at traditional ILB position. Lighter can work but gotta play tough. I love this pick, I think he projects well to modern defense but he’s gonna have to go prove it on the field.

No Bolt rookie besides QJ is a superstar lock yet - I feel similar to Tuli - I think the anatomical measuring tape “experts” just missed this guy - Best defensive player in Pac12, led the nation in sacks, a TFL machine, dude is a relentless baller and I expect he is a starter next year when the CAP bill comes due and one of our $20M+ edge starters need to go. But he’s gotta come show it.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Henley’s college tape says what it says - he’s decisive, incisive and he slices thru defense to the ball carrier to square up and deliver straight up punishing tackles. He plays strong, great technique for a recent LB convert, very few tackles are biting at ankles or as I said the other day “5 yard side saddle ride along tackles”. If he translates that style and ability to the NFL he will be a fucking home run and rival TT’s one and only great R3 pick in a decade, Slayer.

I see he is undersized by historic measures, but like a couple i also see the trending to lighter faster LBs that can do more than just clog up the middle on rush defense. Where Edge used to be 270+, we’re now seeing guys in 240s succeed there. Same at traditional ILB position. Lighter can work but gotta play tough. I love this pick, I think he projects well to modern defense but he’s gonna have to go prove it on the field.

No Bolt rookie besides QJ is a superstar lock yet - I feel similar to Tuli - I think the anatomical measuring tape “experts” just missed this guy - Best defensive player in Pac12, led the nation in sacks, a TFL machine, dude is a relentless baller and I expect he is a starter next year when the CAP bill comes due and one of our $20M+ edge starters need to go. But he’s gotta come show it.

I wish I shared your enthusiasm for Tuli.

Production is nothing to sneeze at, but his tape at USC just screams tweener.

Hope I'm wrong.... they need him to succeed.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I wish I shared your enthusiasm for Tuli.

Production is nothing to sneeze at, but his tape at USC just screams tweener.

Hope I'm wrong.... they need him to succeed.
                          I hear ya. Tween between what and what? DE and DT? DE and LB? I think back to Micah Parsons - whose measurables to me screamed tweener and I feared he was too light for Edge lined up over an OT. He’s 240’s lb. I don’t see Tuli working the interior OL a lot - but who knows how they will all be deployed.

It’s an IF. Production was more than just nothing to sneeze at - he led the country in sacks, #2 in TFL where #1 played Liberty’s opponents. We should know in a couple months either way.

Comment

Working...
                          X