Welcome DT Scott Matlock, Boise St. (Round 6 #200)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hadl2Alworth
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
    This guy certainly had to earn it. Both parents died when 10 or so - got passed around multiple foster families in Idaho.. Jumped on as a gray shirt at BSU & worked his way on up to team cap. The kind of self starting fortitude it takes to become a pro football player without at least one blood parent driving him? Kid sounds like he's worth rooting for.
    That would suck. No doubt about it. But in my case it might have been a blessing.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Look, we all know the Bolts badly need D-line help. And they addressed it with Tuli and hopefully Matlock at least turns into a solid rotational player...I think the Bolts made two solid picks here in a serious PON...
      He will be in the rotation this coming season and will challenge for a starting spot in his second year…I expect he will be getting a lot of reps early in the season with otito and austin both coming off of serious knee injuries, scott will take advantage of that opening and establish himself on the roster going forward…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Boise St. aint a joke program...very respectable program for the size of the school, and the area of the country...

But the program doesnt compare to the teams in the SEC, Big ten, etc.

Can hardly wait for our pro staff and coaches to get their hands on this self made kid...might unlock a real beast here...
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I think some of you are getting a bit over the tips of your skis on this kid. You've got him single-handedly solving all rush defense deficiencies, running jumbo blocking assignments to pull (or push) Herbie across 3rd/4th and 2 plays, even running TE routes to score TDs at will.

I'll wait to see him play a few snaps and I seriously doubt coaches will be overloading him with gadget scheme contributions across all units during TC. They just want another IDL player that can sub in and not be a liability/weakness. his next assignment will be contribute on the lines for ST plays. trick DL-turn-OL-turn-Eligible play switcharoos will be so far down the list, i would be surprised we see even one in 2023.

They don't need a rookie IDL to be their magic jumbo blocker in offensive sets. they have more than 5 OL players on the active roster every week that are bigger and have more experience and skill blocking. They don't need their rookie IDL to be their magic secret TE - they got better TEs there too. This ain't Boise Fucking State anymore, this is the goddamn NFL.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              I think some of you are getting a bit over the tips of your skis on this kid. You've got him single-handedly solving all rush defense deficiencies, running jumbo blocking assignments to pull (or push) Herbie across 3rd/4th and 2 plays, even running TE routes to score TDs at will.

I'll wait to see him play a few snaps and I seriously doubt coaches will be overloading him with gadget scheme contributions across all units during TC. They just want another IDL player that can sub in and not be a liability/weakness. his next assignment will be contribute on the lines for ST plays. trick DL-turn-OL-turn-Eligible play switcharoos will be so far down the list, i would be surprised we see even one in 2023.

They don't need a rookie IDL to be their magic jumbo blocker in offensive sets. they have more than 5 OL players on the active roster every week that are bigger and have more experience and skill blocking. They don't need their rookie IDL to be their magic secret TE - they got better TEs there too. This ain't Boise Fucking State anymore, this is the goddamn NFL.
              I'm guilty of being really hyped for this kid since they drafted him in the 6th round, I feel it's going to be remembered as a steal, I don't know if as big of a steal as Salyer but still, I had a late 3rd early 4rth round grade on this kid when I started looking into him, he has off the charts leadership skills to along with an underrated athletic profile and he does have 33 1/4" arms that he knows how to use very well with strong hands and good closing burst...aside from his physical attribute he has that warrior mentality and is durable as fuck, on one occasion I saw him get rolled up on during a game refused the trainers rolled over to as standing position from laying flat on the ground walked it off and stayed in the game before they could force him to miss a play...he's a really tough bastard and that is important...I thought that he would get drafted in the late 3rd or early 4rth so for the chargers to get him in the late 6th round I got all excited about the value of the pick...

I'm not saying he's going to come in and blow up at the NFL level but he is a major upgrade over what we had in the rotation, matlock is gaziano's replacement who in turn was tillery's replacement so what you get here is a guy that is on par with those two as far as his pass rushing ability, he has a toolbox, BUT unlike those two guys his run stuffing ability is at a much higher level, he stacks real nice and sheds like a boss because he is able to use those 33" plus arms to keep guards and centers away from his body...this guy is a LOT stronger than both tillery and gaziano...So in my opinion they upgraded the quality of the depth at IDL with this kid and I believe he will be a starter by year two year three at the latest...

matlock is a guy that the mountain west has known about for years, he has been if not the most then one of the most double and triple teamed players in the mountain west...now he comes into the NFL and he will not be commanding double and triple teams like he's accustomed to, so I expect his game will get a nice boost as he will no longer be one of the primary focuses of offensive teams...with joey, mack, TnT, SJD, Fox, and those guys playing next to him he will get the types of looks from offenses that he could've only dreamed of in college...with his lateral quickness, his strong hands, initial get off, and combined with him no longer being a primary focus he's going to feel like he's been let out of jail...I expect him to turn some heads in TC and to be a key reserve on this defensive line in 2023 with the potential to become a starter by 2024...
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I'm guilty of being really hyped for this kid since they drafted him in the 6th round, I feel it's going to be remembered as a steal, I don't know if as big of a steal as Salyer but still, I had a late 3rd early 4rth round grade on this kid when I started looking into him, he has off the charts leadership skills to along with an underrated athletic profile and he does have 33 1/4" arms that he knows how to use very well with strong hands and good closing burst...aside from his physical attribute he has that warrior mentality and is durable as fuck, on one occasion I saw him get rolled up on during a game refused the trainers rolled over to as standing position from laying flat on the ground walked it off and stayed in the game before they could force him to miss a play...he's a really tough bastard and that is important...I thought that he would get drafted in the late 3rd or early 4rth so for the chargers to get him in the late 6th round I got all excited about the value of the pick...

I'm not saying he's going to come in and blow up at the NFL level but he is a major upgrade over what we had in the rotation, matlock is gaziano's replacement who in turn was tillery's replacement so what you get here is a guy that is on par with those two as far as his pass rushing ability, he has a toolbox, BUT unlike those two guys his run stuffing ability is at a much higher level, he stacks real nice and sheds like a boss because he is able to use those 33" plus arms to keep guards and centers away from his body...this guy is a LOT stronger than both tillery and gaziano...So in my opinion they upgraded the quality of the depth at IDL with this kid and I believe he will be a starter by year two year three at the latest...

matlock is a guy that the mountain west has known about for years, he has been if not the most then one of the most double and triple teamed players in the mountain west...now he comes into the NFL and he will not be commanding double and triple teams like he's accustomed to, so I expect his game will get a nice boost as he will no longer be one of the primary focuses of offensive teams...with joey, mack, TnT, SJD, Fox, and those guys playing next to him he will get the types of looks from offenses that he could've only dreamed of in college...with his lateral quickness, his strong hands, initial get off, and combined with him no longer being a primary focus he's going to feel like he's been let out of jail...I expect him to turn some heads in TC and to be a key reserve on this defensive line in 2023 with the potential to become a starter by 2024...
                i'm fired up now! LFG!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

i'm fired up now! LFG!
                  LOL, if you think I'm bull shitting, go listen to the last 'move the sticks' episode with Daniel Jeremiah, he said on his podcast that he had a solid 3rd round grade on Matlock...

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Our IDL as of today are.....????
                    Austin Johnson, Morgan Fox, Sebastian Joseph Day, Otito Obognna, Scott Matlock, Jerald Clark....am I missing anyone?
                    If that group is healthy, and rotated properly, no reason our interior defense shouldn't be WELL improved this year.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                      Our IDL as of today are.....????
                      Austin Johnson, Morgan Fox, Sebastian Joseph Day, Otito Obognna, Scott Matlock, Jerald Clark....am I missing anyone?
                      If that group is healthy, and rotated properly, no reason our interior defense shouldn't be WELL improved this year.
                      On passing downs don’t be surprised to see Bosa, Tuli or Mack in there too …

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

LOL, if you think I'm bull shitting, go listen to the last 'move the sticks' episode with Daniel Jeremiah, he said on his podcast that he had a solid 3rd round grade on Matlock...
                        Not, I’m excited to see him play. I’m an Aztec Alum, i see Boise St all the time.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Thanks for this. I didn’t know anything about him but the highlights and reading I did made him seem more of an insider pass rusher than run stopper. I appreciate your insights

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X