• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
    Nic Melsop, OT. A man amongst boys. Moves well, attacks downfield, overwhelms everybody.

The chargers must really like him, Meslop got guaranteed money from the chargers on top of his signing bonus, I don’t remember the chargers doing that before, they mist’ve gotten into biding war with another team for his services…

I think his total guarantees come out to like 25k (don’t laugh) but I just don’t remember the chargers doing that before, perhaps they have and I just never heard of it…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Besides Clark, there are two other edge rushers and a safety that have a chance. The safety looks promising, good speed and size.
      By now we could safely make the argument that the chargers scouting department has had as much success as any other NFL team in finding players in UDFA…

Guys like, Bennett, Binn, Plummer, Dielman, Tolbert, Floyd, Carney (?), Welker, Parker, Gates, Davis, Ekeler…and I’m forgetting a bunch…there was a time when I could rattle off a more complete list but these are the ones that come to mind now…I think soon we’ll be able to add a couple more guys if they continue to stick to the roster, guys like ogbonbemiga, layne, sarrell, hall, clark, dicker….
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

The chargers must really like him, Meslop got guaranteed money from the chargers on top of his signing bonus, I don’t remember the chargers doing that before, they mist’ve gotten into biding war with another team for his services…

I think his total guarantees come out to like 25k (don’t laugh) but I just don’t remember the chargers doing that before, perhaps they have and I just never heard of it…
        The Bolts have traditionally been cheap with UDFAs and have not gotten into bidding contests before, IIRC.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

The Bolts have traditionally been cheap with UDFAs and have not gotten into bidding contests before, IIRC.
          As I understand it, there is a total budget for UDFAs that teams cannot exceed. So if they pay big bonus money to one UDFA, a team will be able to sign fewer UDFAs, collectively.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

It's the little things like these that could end up making a difference.
            props to the front office for reaching further into that penny purse.

Also, what's it say about how highly they value Max Duggan to use their only 7th round pick instead of Meslop or Clark who they've either negotiated more money or more guaranteed.

...Herbert better watch his back, okay no not really.
            Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

That's hysterical, watching him bulldoze anybody he touches. This is a Trey Pipkins-like acquisition, only it's a UDFA signing, not a 3rd round draft pick.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

It's the little things like these that could end up making a difference.
                props to the front office for reaching further into that penny purse.

Also, what's it say about how highly they value Max Duggan to use their only 7th round pick instead of Meslop or Clark who they've either negotiated more money or more guaranteed.

...Herbert better watch his back, okay no not really.
                Herbert may not be physically ready to compete at the beginning of training camp, he may not pass his physical. The Bolts had to get a qb out of the draft, they couldn’t go into TC with one active qb. And they couldn’t risk the UDFA market being able to provide another decent qb.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

From Nic Melsop interview. He certainly knows what it takes to succeed at this level.

If you could sell yourself in one sentence what would you say?

A dominating physical and athletic lineman that finishes through the whistle and has the IQ to see the whole picture.

If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be?

I would compare myself to David Bakhtiari. This is because he may not be the biggest tackle in the NFL but he uses his athleticism to dominate the opposing team. He also has great footwork and elite hand placement.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

My 2 favorite to make the squad are
                    NT/DT Jerrod Clark
                    S AJ Finley

maybe DB Mullen, but I’ll give him another year to develop before making the 53.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

They signed a few UDFAs from REALLY small programs. (Campbell? Samford? Lane College? Ball State? Delta State?!?) Most of those guys get blown out of the water pretty quickly, but every once in a while you find an Austin Ekeler.
                      Yep...these Sammy Small Schoolers look good on tape, but could turn into Pip-like projects. Still, they're worth a look...

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Herbert may not be physically ready to compete at the beginning of training camp, he may not pass his physical. The Bolts had to get a qb out of the draft, they couldn’t go into TC with one active qb. And they couldn’t risk the UDFA market being able to provide another decent qb.
                        I tore the cartilage between some ribs in August one year, and it wasn't until the following May that it felt healed. I found myself thinking the other day that right about NOW is when Herb should be at 100% and feeling no ill effects from his injury.

If Herb couldn't pass a physical now, how the hell did he manage to pass a physical to play the final 16 games of the 2022 schedule?!? <squints and shakes head>

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

That is actually the opposite of the truth. Under Smith they typically paid more for UDFA than other teams and it was a big part of their success. Several (most?) of this crop got guaranteed money ranging from $20k to over $100k for Clark.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X