First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

I think the O-line is still a big priority for TT. He just re-signed Barksdale and Hairston, to steady, solid guys with the ability to move around and play different positions. Every o-line needs these types of guys. After the whiff on Franklin last season, don't expect him to go out and over pay on any o-lineman. I do think he will add to the line with a reasonably priced guy a week or two from now when the market prices settle in. Adding someone like Wiz would be great since it gives us the chance for a drafted center to learn behind a vet and the chance to move Watt back to guard (where he belongs). I would not expect much more than maybe one more FA and then I think TT will fill the depth with a couple of picks.
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
      I think the O-line is still a big priority for TT. He just re-signed Barksdale and Hairston, to steady, solid guys with the ability to move around and play different positions. Every o-line needs these types of guys. After the whiff on Franklin last season, don't expect him to go out and over pay on any o-lineman. I do think he will add to the line with a reasonably priced guy a week or two from now when the market prices settle in. Adding someone like Wiz would be great since it gives us the chance for a drafted center to learn behind a vet and the chance to move Watt back to guard (where he belongs). I would not expect much more than maybe one more FA and then I think TT will fill the depth with a couple of picks.
      I haven't seen ANY indication the team feels Watt should be starting at OG for them- have you? They seem to have the blinders on that he is THE CENTER OF THE FUTURE and nothing else matters to them and nothing will change the course of him becoming our starting Center. There has to be something behind the scenes driving this beyond the results the rest of us see when he actually plays in games. Maybe it's a Rivers preference they are honoring or John Spanos order that isn't being challenged? I'm not an expert on OL play and attributes, but if they did end the Watt OC experiment I can't see him being handed an OG starting job either and benching either the high priced Franklin or more consistent and larger Fluker who was a 1st round RT and still on an affordable rookie contract that they need to get a really good feel for as he nears FA. If they were to add Wiz or Vasquez on a reasonably priced 1-2 year deal, that would further complicate the OG situation. Too bad we don't have a local beat writer who would actually press MM & TT for a real answer on the club's reasoning on pushing Watt.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I'll be very curious to see what the new OL coach makes of all this.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          I'll be very curious to see what the new OL coach makes of all this.
          Which is a good portion of my point: The reasoning - this year - SEEMS to be that pigs (with lipstick) can be coached up to play at a reasonably solid level. And, let's be honest, "reasonably solid" would be a HUGE improvement over the last 2-3 years for this OL.

But you can't get blood from a stone. IF this OL was anchored by, say, two REALLY SOLID players - pick any two spots on the OL - then, sure, the Barksdales, Watts, Hairstons, and Dunlaps of the world would probably be sufficient to achieve "reasonable solid-ness".

But trying to coach up 5-7 journeymen types into a well oiled machine is asking too much of your coaches, IMO.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • SoDak
            • Technology Director
            • Send PM

I actually liked Hairston last year.

Couldn't have been easy, I think he played both Guard positions, and Left Tackle(and maybe filled in at RT at some point?)

This was an inexpensive signing, for a guy who can help out. I think this changes bupkiss when it comes to the draft, however it does tell me they think Tunsil won't be there, and they're looking at another guy for that high pick (Bosa? Ramsey? Buckner?).

This does not prevent them from drafting another Tackle, Guard, or Center later in the draft.

Fleet, I do think Center makes sense... could solidify that position, and moving Watt back to Guard could solidify that position? (maybe? if he stays healthy? he was healthy in college?)
            "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              Which is a good portion of my point: The reasoning - this year - SEEMS to be that pigs (with lipstick) can be coached up to play at a reasonably solid level. And, let's be honest, "reasonably solid" would be a HUGE improvement over the last 2-3 years for this OL.

But you can't get blood from a stone. IF this OL was anchored by, say, two REALLY SOLID players - pick any two spots on the OL - then, sure, the Barksdales, Watts, Hairstons, and Dunlaps of the world would probably be sufficient to achieve "reasonable solid-ness".

But trying to coach up 5-7 journeymen types into a well oiled machine is asking too much of your coaches, IMO.
              I don't see a pig in this poke and think you are too harsh in your assessment. The big thing is injuries and do we have 5 guys who can play nearly all the 2016 snaps together starting from camps and continuing all season long for continuity. The team SEEMS to feel we do/can. Assuming Watt as the starting OC is already the weakest link and most injury risk, but Dunlap had 2 pretty good years for us before last year and Franklin only missed 1 game in 4 years before last year, but healthy they are a solid left side. Barksdale was solid if unspectacular last year and year's previous and Fluker when healthy is solid, but suffers when playing through injuries. All are multi-year vets and IMO don't need "coaching up" as much as health and playing time together after buying into the new blocking schemes.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Heatmiser
                BetterToday ThanYesterday
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I'm with you, Coach. Hairston was a very nice surprise last season and an unexpected bonus. I read a lot of question marks about him prior to his signing but they were mostly about heart and desire, not talent. I think last season he showed a lot of heart and desire -- playing hurt and playing all over the line. I think when healthy he is an average starter and an above average reserve. And he did not get a big contract or a long one, so he is not going to suddenly lose motivation. The OL free agents out there presently all have big question marks associated with them -- that is why they are still out there. And there was not much out there to begin with, which is why a guy like Schwartz, who is ok but not great, got an enormous contract. The only stellar player out there was Alex Mack and the CHargers made a play for him but did not want to pay a 30 yr old center what Atlanta did. I find no fault with Telesco in this position group so far. He may end up signing one of the guys on the list above at a discount for one year, just like he did with Barksdale last season.

TG
                Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• BoltBalls
                  Always keep eye contact!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • SD!
                  • Send PM

I think most of the OL issues last year were offensive scheme based. Reich was terrible. We had injury issues in 2013 with Whisenhunt but the offense and OL was much better than '14 and '15 anyways. Having said that, I do hope they can get a decent center in FA or the draft and I wouldn't be disappointed at all if Tunsil drops to us and we pick him. Hairston is a decent swing OL, this is a good depth signing.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                    Rinse, repeat.

What's that definition of insanity, again? The (very flawed) model needs to change. If it doesn't, the results won't change, either. Every year the poor OL play is blamed on: the coaches; the scheme; the injuries; the blah, blah, blah. Hairston, Watt - even Barksdale - would be nice DEPTH players. But to rely on them...
                    Hairston wasn't signed to be a starter. Watt's going to get a shot but he's going to have competition.

Your predictable negativity is noted, however.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                      nothing else matters to them and nothing will change the course of him becoming our starting Center.
                      Um, a little over the top maybe?

I can't see him being handed an OG
                      Of course not, "moved back to guard" likely means backup G/C with the potential down the line to replace the guys ahead of him if his play warrants it.

If they were to add Wiz or Vasquez on a reasonably priced 1-2 year deal, that would further complicate the OG situation.
                      Everyone formulates it this way "reasonably priced." Not usually the nature of the beast. Vazquez isn't likely to sign that kind of deal unless he's starting. I could see them potentially offering him a shot at the right side in winner take-alls with him and Fluker or him and Barksdale but again, I'm not seeing him leaping at that.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                        I'm with you, Coach. Hairston was a very nice surprise last season and an unexpected bonus. I read a lot of question marks about him prior to his signing but they were mostly about heart and desire, not talent. I think last season he showed a lot of heart and desire -- playing hurt and playing all over the line. I think when healthy he is an average starter and an above average reserve. And he did not get a big contract or a long one, so he is not going to suddenly lose motivation. The OL free agents out there presently all have big question marks associated with them -- that is why they are still out there. And there was not much out there to begin with, which is why a guy like Schwartz, who is ok but not great, got an enormous contract. The only stellar player out there was Alex Mack and the CHargers made a play for him but did not want to pay a 30 yr old center what Atlanta did. I find no fault with Telesco in this position group so far. He may end up signing one of the guys on the list above at a discount for one year, just like he did with Barksdale last season.

TG
                        Bingo

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                          Hairston wasn't signed to be a starter. Watt's going to get a shot but he's going to have competition.

Your predictable negativity is noted, however.
                          And your predicable ass-hole-ish-ness needs no such trumpeting.

And now your campaign to be the next President of the Pollyanna Club seems to be paying off. LOL!

So tell me something, professor...what's gonna change the outcome when the same pieces are in place? Luck? Better coaching? Everyone is going to (suddenly) stay healthy? True, the off-season isn't over (and the Draft isn't here yet). But unless you're hanging some hope on something a bit more scientific then homerism (or 4-leaf clovers) - or you (laughingly) expect Telesco to shoot his wad in the Draft on 1st- AND 2nd-round OL guys - I'd love to hear your pompous opinion about why we should all be doing cartwheels over the status quo.
                          Last edited by QSmokey; 03-16-2016, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X