Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    Hairston wasn't signed to be a starter. Watt's going to get a shot but he's going to have competition.
    Watt was installed as the starter early in practices last year with no competition for the starting job. All the team's comments have always talked him up as the starting center because he is so smart. They do not talk about him having a future as a starting OG, or as a backup C/G. Their intended plans for him seem pretty clear to me.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      Watt was installed as the starter early in practices last year with no competition for the starting job. All the team's comments have always talked him up as the starting center because he is so smart. They do not talk about him having a future as a starting OG, or as a backup C/G. Their intended plans for him seem pretty clear to me.
      Maybe Watt is smart but the Chargers braintrust doesn't seem to be.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Then start Stephen Hawking at Center if he's so smart.
        Wat
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
          Wat
          He'd probably play more games than Wat.

Comment

• bonehead
            Undrafted
            • Jul 2013
            • TBD
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
            He'd probably play more games than Wat.
            He makes the players around him smarter
            Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• CTrout
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
              Wat
              Making the line calls could be a real problem.....

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

So you're saying he's the starter no matter how he plays? Their intended plan is to spite everyone and start Watt at C no matter what? Really? Their intended plan for Flowers was to kick ass. He didn't, so he lost his job. Their intended plan for Gordon was ROY. He sat a lot. Their intended plan for Derek Cox was to get Pro Bowl considerations. He sucked so bad that he lost his job midseason and was eventually cut.

I'm aware of what they have said about Watt. I am also aware (and believe they are as well) that Watt looked pretty bad at center last year. I get that they may want him to play C and that barring some other move, he will get first crack at the position. But I really doubt that they would keep plugging him in there knowing he sucks. And I am hopeful that if one of the top C prospects is available when we pick that they will give very strong consideration to it, because at best it creates healthy competition. At worst it provides us with reassuring depth along the line.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I felt that Watt was getting pushed around a little bit last year when he played my problem with him. Strength or technique? I don't know.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

So you're saying he's the starter no matter how he plays? Their intended plan is to spite everyone and start Watt at C no matter what? Really? Their intended plan for Flowers was to kick ass. He didn't, so he lost his job. Their intended plan for Gordon was ROY. He sat a lot. Their intended plan for Derek Cox was to get Pro Bowl considerations. He sucked so bad that he lost his job midseason and was eventually cut.

I'm aware of what they have said about Watt. I am also aware (and believe they are as well) that Watt looked pretty bad at center last year. I get that they may want him to play C and that barring some other move, he will get first crack at the position. But I really doubt that they would keep plugging him in there knowing he sucks. And I am hopeful that if one of the top C prospects is available when we pick that they will give very strong consideration to it, because at best it creates healthy competition. At worst it provides us with reassuring depth along the line.
                    it's not up to me. all I'm doing is pointing out nothing has changed from statements the club has made about Wat? being the Center (despite observed suckage) and they love "continuity" and are probably not holding the injuries and musical chairs at OG against him to require a change to what they were doing. The SD beat writers keep penciling him in there too every time they mention OL status, FWIW.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

it's not up to me. all I'm doing is pointing out nothing has changed from statements the club has made about Wat? being the Center (despite observed suckage) and they love "continuity" and are probably not holding the injuries and musical chairs at OG against him to require a change to what they were doing. The SD beat writers keep penciling him in there too every time they mention OL status, FWIW.
                      Of course it's not up to you. That's not what I meant. I meant that your argument is that the team is going to push him into the position no matter what happens in TC, PS or regular season. He's the guy, period. I don't buy it for the reasons I supplied. Right now he's the starter bc we don't have much else. What else do you want them to do, issue a press release that he's not the starter pending acquisition of someone better? I don't care what Potsie and Mr Personal Agenda have to say.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Of course it's not up to you. That's not what I meant. I meant that your argument is that the team is going to push him into the position no matter what happens in TC, PS or regular season. He's the guy, period. I don't buy it for the reasons I supplied. Right now he's the starter bc we don't have much else. What else do you want them to do, issue a press release that he's not the starter pending acquisition of someone better? I don't care what Potsie and Mr Personal Agenda have to say.
                        Which one is Potsie and which one is Mr. PA?

Comment

• SDFan
                          Woober Goober
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Dolores, CO
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

I don't really have an argument here, just an opinion and observation that it seems to me the club is acting as if there were some unfortunate setbacks in the plan to groom Wat? as the fixture at Center, but will simply pick up where they left off moving in that direction. Thus, I don't feel they are believing they need to look at bringing in someone else to push him or compete with him and that would just delay and complicate the process of him settling in for the long term. I don't get the sense they believe Wat? at Center is anywhere near a failed experiment at this point and would not expect them to prioritize getting someone better to start the way many of us here do. Even if there is a highly regarded OC available at 1 of our early picks, I expect them to take an ILB, Edge rusher, S, WR or pass catching TE to groom behind Gates before taking an OC. I could be wrong, but that's how I'm reading things right now.

Comment

Working...
                          X