• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
    In my memory of that game, LT was averaging like 6 yards per carry, but they stopped feeding him early in the 3rd quarter.

The tough thing about that loss is it wasn't like one or 2 crazy plays turned it, the Pats needed the alignment of like 10 or more critical events to squeak out a win, and everything fell just right for them, capped by that int fumble.
    They didn't stop feeding him the ball. They just didn't have a ton of long drives bc they had such good field position, and the pass was there. But if Mother McCree bats the ball down then we were going to ride LT for the last 4:30 on our way to a TD or FG that would have iced it.

Your second line I disagree with. That's how I always remembered it. But in watching it today, there were a lot of dumb things that we did that, yes, in a playoff game were dumb. But they didn't kill us. We recovered in some way. But Florence's headset = 3PTS. And McCree's fumble = emotional swing from "These guys just beat us" to "New life!" in 3 seconds = TD. Two plays changed the outcome. The others would have just made the outcome more decisive for us.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
      The game was the perfect game to just give LT 40 carries and we would have won comfortably. Patriots had no answer to him, really.

To be honest, even if McCree has just knocked it down...I am in no way convinced it was "game over." There were still 6 minutes left and I could easily see us going 3 and out and giving them the ball again.
      Off your meds today, Sybil? If he bats it down with 6min left, wouldn't we likely have given them a steady diet of LT who; as you state in the previous sentence, the Patriots had no answer for? Barring some other unforeseen knuckle headed play by Shaun Phillips, I think we would've ridden LT from our 38 to at least get a FG, which likely would have put the game out of reach at that point. Well, unless Kaeding did his impersonation of Kaeding kicking for money in playoff games.

1). Vincent Jackson not dragging his toe on what would have been a long TD pass.
      Yep. That was so close to being a TD. That was his mistake, bc he just needed to put that second foot down.

2). Clinton Hart dropping an easy tipped ball for an INT early in the first quarter that would have set us up deep in Patriots' territory.
      That would have gone a long way toward salting the game away early. Also, we ran that prevent shit before half and gave them an easy drive right before half.

3). Rosie Colvin making this LUCKY ASS one handed INT somehow on this swing pass intended for LT.
      Actually, it was Rivers who was lucky. We was lucky that he overthrew Colvin just enough to make the catch a challenge. This was a classic one of these Rivers plays where he tries to get too cute on a play he should just give up on. Normally they look uglier than this one. But he just tries to make a play rather than just throwing it away and huddling up. I have nightmares about us being in the SB holding on with a one pt lead and Rivers pulls one of those and we lose.

Colvin was all over LT. Rivers under threw it. He needed to throw it hard enough that LT had to reach out for it or that it would go out of bounds. Colvin was a bitch afterwards, but he made a good play. Hard to remember, but Rivers was just a kid then. We were 'babying' him with the gameplan all season.

That game was the ultimate cluster fuckery of cuckold proportions.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        What is galling about the whole thing is to this day, he still insists that it was the right thing to do (trying to run it back) and that he'd do the same thing again.
        It was the right thing to do and he should have done it...the mistake was not protecting the ball better. It would have been idiotic for him to drop to a knee after picking that ball off.

There was too much time left in that game to take a knee. Look what happened to GB against Seattle. We needed to score again to put that game away. Even if we didnt the offense needed to do something.

If Marlon McCree should have taken a knee then that means the offense should have taken a knee. We needed offense to close out that game. Returning an INT is offense.

If the offense went 3 and out that turnover was only a matter of field position, there was still plenty of time left. The offense did go 3 and out the next time they had the ball with the exact same situation of score and run clock to win.

It was a one possession game with over 6 minutes left....the defender shouldn't stop playing just because of a turnover.
        Last edited by BlazingBolt; 03-23-2016, 04:27 PM.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
          It was the right thing to do and he should have done it...the mistake was not protecting the ball better. It would have been idiotic for him to drop to a knee after picking that ball off.

There was too much time left in that game to take a knee. Look what happened to GB against Seattle. We needed to score again to put that game away. Even if we didnt the offense needed to do something.

If Marlon McCree should have taken a knee then that means the offense should have taken a knee. We needed offense to close out that game. Returning an INT is offense.

If the offense went 3 and out that turnover was only a matter of field position, there was still plenty of time left. The offense did go 3 and out the next time they had the ball with the exact same situation of score and run clock to win.

It was a one possession game with over 6 minutes left....the defender shouldn't stop playing just because of a turnover.
          Dude. It was 4th down. He should have fucking knocked the ball down. We would have had the ball farther up field and a first down. The game would have pretty much been over. We had fucking Tomlinson in the greatest year pretty much any running back has ever had.

How the hell is this an argument? It's like arguing whether it was a good idea for the redneck to shoot fireworks out his ass.

Comment

• sandiego17
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
            Dude. It was 4th down. He should have fucking knocked the ball down. We would have had the ball farther up field and a first down. The game would have pretty much been over. We had fucking Tomlinson in the greatest year pretty much any running back has ever had.

How the hell is this an argument? It's like arguing whether it was a good idea for the redneck to shoot fireworks out his ass.
            WTF? I agree.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
              I think it was on third down after a sack. So they would have punted. Instead they got the ball back +15 and picked up enough yards to get a FG.
              OK thanks, it literally happened right in front of my seats, I hate that asshole more than McCree by a long shot
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Screeme
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                If I stumbled upon the replay of that game I'd change the channel. I still can't watch it.
                This..

I can't bear to watch it. We played, probably, our worst game of the season; and still were in position to win. That is how good that team was. It just makes me sick to my stomach to even think about.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                  WTF? I agree.
                  Well, it ain't politics. It's the San Diego Chargers, which is more important. Ronald Reagan would want us to join forces and ensure a San Diego Super Bowl title.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
                    OK thanks, it literally happened right in front of my seats, I hate that asshole more than McCree by a long shot
                    In a weird way I agree. McCree's reaction was just what he's been trained to do all his life. But upon catching the ball, there was no need to advance the ball. In the case of Florence, it was just completely idiotic. Upon having made a huge stop, there was no reason in the world to come into contact with a Patriots player. So stupid it's just inexplicable. BTW, IIRC he was in coverage on a Caldwell TD where he just allowed himself to get played and he committed another bonehead play on a mindless PI in the third quarter. It embarrassed me bc I had been a big advocate of drafting him.

As a sidenote, watching that game reminded me of what it was like to have a really good D. Haven't seen that in years.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post
                      This..

I can't bear to watch it. We played, probably, our worst game of the season; and still were in position to win. That is how good that team was. It just makes me sick to my stomach to even think about.
                      But if you go back like I did, it isn't that way really. We dominated...dominated... 90% of that game. We had a bunch of fuckups for sure, but only a few of them really killed us. A lot more of them were missed opportunities to put the game away.

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

sigh
                        sigpic

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
                          sigh
                          I feel 'sigh' about it like I feel 'sigh' about 14-17 to Houston in 1980. Those were teams that legitimately could have won and probably should have won Super Bowls. Only times in my lifetime that we've had dominant units on both sides of the ball. But in both cases just let winnable playoff games slip away.

Comment

Working...
                          X