Clear All
  • bonehead
    Undrafted
    • Jul 2013
    • TBD
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    In a weird way I agree. McCree's reaction was just what he's been trained to do all his life. But upon catching the ball, there was no need to advance the ball. In the case of Florence, it was just completely idiotic. Upon having made a huge stop, there was no reason in the world to come into contact with a Patriots player. So stupid it's just inexplicable. BTW, IIRC he was in coverage on a Caldwell TD where he just allowed himself to get played and he committed another bonehead play on a mindless PI in the third quarter. It embarrassed me bc I had been a big advocate of drafting him.

As a sidenote, watching that game reminded me of what it was like to have a really good D. Haven't seen that in years.
    Yeah that's the driver for me, one player got excited to make a play and overreacted the other was just being a douche who lost his cool
    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• BlazingBolt
      SLAM DUNK!
      • Jun 2013
      • East County San Diego
      • Bolt fanatic
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
      Dude. It was 4th down. He should have fucking knocked the ball down. We would have had the ball farther up field and a first down. The game would have pretty much been over. We had fucking Tomlinson in the greatest year pretty much any running back has ever had.

How the hell is this an argument? It's like arguing whether it was a good idea for the redneck to shoot fireworks out his ass.
      There was 6 minutes left in a one possession game, no he shouldn't have knocked the ball down or dropped to knee. For definitive proof look at what happened to GB vs SEA when they were up 2 possessions and the guy went down instead of returning the ball.

You are just emotionally blinded by this like so many Charger fans are unable to use your brain to process the situation.

We had Tomlinson in the greatest year any running back ever had and we went 3 and out with the game on the line. Whether tied or ahead by one possession the pressure is on the offense to do the same thing. We couldn't do it after the game was tied so the argument we would have put the game away if McCree didn't turn the ball over is a major revisionist wishful thinking.

Plain and simple we failed to put the Patriots away. The McCree decision was not idiotic, if he scored on the INT return or got us in FG range that was the correct decision. He just needed to protect the ball better.
      migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

You're crazy. Bat the ball down and get possession at like our 38. Run some time off the clock. Get about 30 yards and kick the decisive FG. If we don't score, get Scifres to do his thing (he had already had quite a good game) and pin the Pats deep in their end and put the pressure on them to score on a long drive. "If" he scored? What were the odds? The pick was in traffic in the middle of the field. He was surrounded by Pats.

IMO, the emotional lift the Pats got from the Brown recovery was the difference in pretty much feeling defeated vs getting new life. Yes, 6 mins is a long time but I just don't see how we get possession there and just go 3 and out.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
          There was 6 minutes left in a one possession game, no he shouldn't have knocked the ball down or dropped to knee. For definitive proof look at what happened to GB vs SEA when they were up 2 possessions and the guy went down instead of returning the ball.

You are just emotionally blinded by this like so many Charger fans are unable to use your brain to process the situation.

We had Tomlinson in the greatest year any running back ever had and we went 3 and out with the game on the line. Whether tied or ahead by one possession the pressure is on the offense to do the same thing. We couldn't do it after the game was tied so the argument we would have put the game away if McCree didn't turn the ball over is a major revisionist wishful thinking.

Plain and simple we failed to put the Patriots away. The McCree decision was not idiotic, if he scored on the INT return or got us in FG range that was the correct decision. He just needed to protect the ball better.
          Yes. You're right. A long return by McCree was more likely than Tomlinson doing something good.

It's just my inability to use my brain and to process the situation that doesn't let me draw that conclusion.

And batting the ball down on fourth down in order to get better field position is only an idea I came up with because I am blinded by emotion.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-24-2016, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

You're crazy. Bat the ball down and get possession at like our 38. Run some time off the clock. Get about 30 yards and kick the decisive FG. If we don't score, get Scifres to do his thing (he had already had quite a good game) and pin the Pats deep in their end and put the pressure on them to score on a long drive. "If" he scored? What were the odds? The pick was in traffic in the middle of the field. He was surrounded by Pats.

IMO, the emotional lift the Pats got from the Brown recovery was the difference in pretty much feeling defeated vs getting new life. Yes, 6 mins is a long time but I just don't see how we get possession there and just go 3 and out.
            I agree with you!
            Let's argue about it.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I agree with you!
              Let's argue about it.
              OK, Kaczynski!

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I almost broke my father-in-law's TV during that game. Won't watch it again. I feel ill just reading this thread and thinking about it now.
                Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• Iowachargers
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Dow City, Iowa
                  • Send PM

Wasn't there a 4th and 16-19 late in the game for the Patriots that they converted? Believe Caldwell against Jammer. Went out and shoveled the driveway of snow. Lot of swearing. Imagine what the neighbors thought.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                    SLAM DUNK!
                    • Jun 2013
                    • East County San Diego
                    • Bolt fanatic
                    • Send PM

Yes, 6 mins is a long time but I just don't see how we get possession there and just go 3 and out.
                    That's exactly what we did the next time we had the ball. If we were able to do more than 3 and out we may have won the game. The situation was pretty much exactly the same except the score was tied....the offense still needed the same results just as badly as the game was on the line whether McCree fumbled or the game was tied.

The only time Defensive players bat the ball down is on hail mary plays and even that back fires some times. Whether or not it was 4th down pretty much every player would intercept rather than bat down. After the INT going down on his own would have been a mistake although not as bad a mistake as fumbling.

Reality is only a fool takes a knee with 6 minutes left in a one possession game regardless of the situation.
                    Last edited by BlazingBolt; 03-25-2016, 10:10 AM.
                    migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Is this still an argument? I don't get it.

I spent 2 hours in line trying to vote the other day thinking, "I'm a fucking idiot for wasting my time." But, then I took a good listen to the other people in line with me and realized I just don't understand human beings. Then I looked at my phone and thought Bonehead deserves some rep and why is Stinky spelling stuff correctly nowadays. Then I thought, like I often do, this smart phone is ruining my life - it's a terrible addiction. I did a lot of thinking because I live in Maricopa County and that voting line was yuge.

Bat the ball down.
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-25-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                        That's exactly what we did the next time we had the ball. If we were able to do more than 3 and out we may have won the game. The situation was pretty much exactly the same except the score was tied....the offense still needed the same results just as badly as the game was on the line whether McCree fumbled or the game was tied.

The only time Defensive players bat the ball down is on hail mary plays and even that back fires some times. Whether or not it was 4th down pretty much every player would intercept rather than bat down. After the INT going down on his own would have been a mistake although not as bad a mistake as fumbling.

Reality is only a fool takes a knee with 6 minutes left in a one possession game regardless of the situation.
                        Actually it wasn't 'pretty much' the same situation at all because as you point out, the score was tied. That makes a huge difference. Huge. In fact, I'll go you one further. It was on the drive where McCree screwed the pooch where NE was and looked defeated. Getting the ball back allowed them to get the tying scores. It gave them new hope and new life. So it's completely alike, except that it was totally different.

People point out the bat-down option in demonstrating that the minimum effort was required on his part to pretty much seal the deal. So OK, he picks it off. He didn't need to try to score. It was highly unlikely he would anyway if you look at the traffic he was in--see Troy Brown stripping him.

Disputed by what happened.

That said, agree to disagree except on the point that players are inclined to catch the ball vs bat it.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Is this still an argument? I don't get it.

I spent 2 hours in line trying to vote the other day thinking, "I'm a fucking idiot for wasting my time." But, then I took a good listen to the other people in line with me and realized I just don't understand human beings. Then I looked at my phone and thought Bonehead deserves some rep and why is Stinky spelling stuff correctly nowadays. Then I thought, like I often do, this smart phone is ruining my life - it's a terrible addiction. I did a lot of thinking because I live in Maricopa County and that voting line was yuge.

Bat the ball down.
                          Sherriff Joe is looking for you.

Comment

Working...
                          X