• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Asela
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2014
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    The Rams and Jaguars are the only 2 teams in the league that don't do offsets.
    Unless I misheard from the interview with former agent Joel Corry from the radio, he said there are ONLY 2 teams in the NFL that agree to player's requests on the offset clause and it's the Rams and the Jags. He said the Jaguars front office see no importance to the Offset language.

The problem is that since the new CBA, the Jags have perennially been in the top 5. Since the new CBA has been in place, the Jags have drafted 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, and 5th. Bosa agent refers to the contracts of the last 2014 and 2015 3rd overall, but both times those were the Jags. The other top 5 picks did not have the offset language unless they were either the Jaguars or Rams (according to Joel Corey).
    Last edited by Asela; 08-24-2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• sandiego17
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Asela View Post
      Unless I misheard from the interview with former agent Joel Corey from the radio, he said there are ONLY 2 teams in the NFL that agree to the offset language and it's the Rams and the Jags. He said the Jaguars front office see no importance to the Offset language.

The problem is that since the new CBA, the Jags have perennially been in the top 5. Since the new CBA has been in place, the Jags have drafted 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, and 5th. Bosa agent refers to the contracts of the last 2014 and 2015 3rd overall, but both times those were the Jags. The other top 5 picks did not have the offset language unless they were either the Jaguars or Rams (according to Joel Corey).
      Kind of agree with the Jags, it really is meaningless, top-5 picks on that kind of guaranteed money aren't getting cut. But a player holding out for the right to double dip if he sucks enough to get cut by a team that owes him guaranteed money is silly anyway.

Comment

• RTPbolt
        Charger Fan till the end
        • Jun 2013
        • North Carolina
        • Send PM

At this point i put this on Bosa and his crew. He is going to miss the majority of the camp he needed to prepare for how to compete in the NFL. At this point he shouldnt start day 1 as he wont be ready. Hes a second stringer until he shows he can play the full playbook.

He is really making a mistake. The team has other players....Bosa has no other team. Have fun not playing Bosa...great way to start your career.

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

-- The Chargers want to break up Bosa’s signing bonus, which is worth roughly $17 million of the $25 million Bosa is going to be paid by San Diego.

-- There has not been a No. 3 overall pick since the new CBA has been ratified whose contract included both offset language and a split signing bonus.

The Chargers are using public relations to leverage a rookie to take an unprecedented deal. They’re calling him out on social media for turning down “best offers” and then making passive-aggressive statements like “we’ll restructure our offer since Joey will be unable to contribute for the full 16-game season."

And you wonder why that organization has found it so difficult to get a new stadium in San Diego.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The stadium line is from the author of the article.
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Asela
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2014
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
            Disagree (shocking). Offering more than what others got is fair. It was on the Chargers until they got to this point. Once they did, its on Bosa. If the differential is peanuts and you are already getting more than everybody else, why still hold out for those peanuts and risk busting and costing yourself millions more in the long run? I get the blame Spanos until proven otherwise, I agree with it, but at this point its proven otherwise. They should have offered 85% a long time ago, but they are there now.
            I'm so PO'ed at the Bosa camp, I'd like to see him suffer by losing money. I have no problem if the Chargers give a take it or leave it contract, and toss Bosa back to the draft where he will likely lose 17 million guaranteed. Bosa doubtfully will get any endorsement or advertising contracts anytime soon. That's also money his agent should've been working to get for him.

The family should fire the agent, because this agent is not working for Bosa, the agent is working for his own reputation and recruiting of future clients.

The family is not honest with itself, only the Chargers rated Bosa this high, and 99% of the analysts felt the Chargers over-drafted Bosa. They really should be grateful they are getting so much money. Even if he was drafted as the 4th overall, that would've cost him ~$1.5+ million (from what I've heard a commentator mention).

Bosa himself may be a good kid, but the family is greedy and calling the shots I suspect.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
              SLAM DUNK!
              • Jun 2013
              • East County San Diego
              • Bolt fanatic
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargerkdb View Post
              I think there is more at play as well. I don't think Team Bosa thinks Chargers are a good fit and they want an "out". The fact they haven't made any concessions tells me they've always intended this to be a bitter holdout. His mom was right, they should have pulled an Eli.
              If this was the case why wouldn't they just say it's the case? Why would he be all excited when he was picked? Why would they be making contract demands at all? If this was the case why wouldn't they have pulled an Eli because that's not what they are doing.

This is a contract negotiation. The Chargers could easily cave but they have their reasons. Bosa's side could easily cave and their reasons seem questionable. Demanding 94% when 85% is offered...its the same amount of money either way...it's an asinine reason to be holding out.
              migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

The only way out for Bosa now is to fire the agent. Because he can't just call up the team now and accept the last offer without losing face. Somebody has to take the fall for the failed negotiating strategy and it won't be Bosa.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Asela
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2014
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                  Kind of agree with the Jags, it really is meaningless, top-5 picks on that kind of guaranteed money aren't getting cut. But a player holding out for the right to double dip if he sucks enough to get cut by a team that owes him guaranteed money is silly anyway.
                  Well unless you're you have habit like Jags WR Justin Blackmon or Josh Gordon and keep getting suspended by the league. Those types of situations worry teams giving a lot of money to a young kid that hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet. But, yeah I thought the best solution was for the Chargers to give him the offset language and make a very public statement that it's a unique situation with the stadium vote and the first time the Chargers have drafted as high as the 3rd overall in the new CBA era. The Chargers have a lousy PR strategy, they should've been very public on how they were doing their best to get Bosa into camp, and educate the public why Bosa is asking for more than his fellow draftees relative to position.

Coaches and FO don't get the benefit of Offset clauses. If they are fired and then hired by a new team, the money owed to them from their former team gets reduced by the amount they are paid by the new team.
                  Last edited by Asela; 08-24-2016, 03:55 PM.

Comment

• Asela
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2014
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                    http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/s...-salary-082416

-- There has not been a No. 3 overall pick since the new CBA has been ratified whose contract included both offset language and a split signing bonus.
                    According to former agent Joel Corry, ONLY the Jags and Rams bow to the agents in terms of offset. That statement by Fox I suspect is incorrect, because I'd expect a former agent to be much more informed about contract language than any reporter. The confusion is that the Jags have owned the 3rd overall pick the past 2 years, so it's not a concession of the 3rd overall pick, its a concession of the Jags.

"most teams structure deals containing minimum base salaries in the final three years with the remainder of a player's salary in annual rosters bonuses that become fully guaranteed on the third or fifth day of training camp. Every team, with the exception of the Jaguars and Rams, now require offsets with salary guarantees for draft picks."

Comment

• Rugger05
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

It's Deja Vu!!!

For Chargers fans, Wednesday's statement from the team about defensive end Joey Bosa may have seemed like deja vu all over again.

Chargers taking page out of familiar playbook

Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2016, 5:37 PM EDT
                      Unknown
                      Getty Images
                      For Chargers fans, Wednesday’s statement from the team about defensive end Joey Bosa may have seemed like deja vu all over again.

A dozen years ago, the Chargers threatened to take money off the table during the holdout of quarterback Philip Rivers.

“Negotiations have broken down,” Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith said in August 2004. “Prior to the training camp report date, we made an effort to get Philip signed. Also, during the past week, we exchanged ideas and could not come to an agreement. On Friday, we offered a great deal to Philip. We also notified both Philip and his agent, Jimmy Sexton, that the offer will stand until 5 p.m. Sunday evening and if not accepted, the final offer will be pulled off the table. . . . We also informed them that the package we talked about and offered will now only go down in value.”

The Rivers holdout had some of the same perspective-based disagreements that allowed the team to cling to a set of principles premised on paying less, and that allowed the player to cling to a set of principles premised on getting more, with the team locked into the spot at which Rivers was picked and the Rivers camp applying a quarterback premium.

“The offer we made to Philip is not a slot offer at No. 4, but in fact, an offer that exceeds [those of] No. 2 Robert Gallery and No. 3 Larry Fitzgerald,” Smith said. “We believe it’s a great offer. Jimmy Sexton has been informed several times that the Eli Manning-Tom Condon deal with the New York Giants was of no concern to us before, no concern now nor will it be in the future. This is very unfortunate and disappointing but it is what it is.”

The Rivers deal eventually got worked out, and presumably the Bosa deal will, too. Otherwise, he’ll re-enter the draft in 2017 and the Chargers will get nothing for him.

It’s hardly the first holdout in San Diego, but with a stadium vote looming and all hands needed on deck in order to win as many games as possible before November 8, it could be the last holdout in San Diego. But not the last holdout for the Chargers

Comment

• FiftyFive
                        Dean Spanos is a traitor!
                        • Dec 2014
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                        Why should the Chargers cave?
                        Because they won a whopping 4 games last year, they're coming off a PR nightmare of a season off the field, they need to improve the on-field product for the stadium vote to have any chance of passing, they have to pay out the whole bonus anyway so it shouldn't matter whether or not it's all upfront, etc., etc.

The real question is why the Chargers ever drew a line in the sand on this to begin with. It makes no sense on its face and they have never once provided a logical explanation. I for one smell a rat and think the Spanos family is hiding something.

Comment

• Asela
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2014
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Rugger05 View Post
                          “The offer we made to Philip is not a slot offer at No. 4, but in fact, an offer that exceeds [those of] No. 2 Robert Gallery and No. 3 Larry Fitzgerald,” Smith said. “We believe it’s a great offer. Jimmy Sexton has been informed several times that the Eli Manning-Tom Condon deal with the New York Giants was of no concern to us before, no concern now nor will it be in the future. This is very unfortunate and disappointing but it is what it is.”
                          As soon as the 2004 draft trade went down, I knew it would be a problem on Rivers' contract. The Chargers should've been smarter enough to tell AJ at the time, that if you swap players its going to be a mess. Much better if they traded picks and leave it at that, because as the team with the 1st pick, our rookie allotment in the draft was a bigger amount and an agent is always going to try and get as much of that allotment as possible.

The 2004 draft is a lousy example to use, because it was a very unusual trade. I can't think of any other trade since 2004, that included the swap of players just drafted (at the top of the draft) and then additional draft picks. It's sloppy reporting to not look closely at all the details to see if this is a normal situation or a very unusual situation they use as the example.

Comment

Working...
                          X