Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of worry over nothing. It's not like they won't get him under contract.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
      Lots of worry over nothing. It's not like they won't get him under contract.
      I'm not worried about that. I'm more worried that if he misses too much time, he'll potentially limit what we'll get out of him this year.

Comment

• Wheels
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        I heard a radio report on this last evening from 1 of the guys that does Chargers pre-game and he said it appears Bosa's father is influencing this because he only lasted 3 years in the NFL. IIRC, they said his uncle played and only lasted 3 years as well. They don't see it as him being greedy and potentially double-dipping if Bosa was let go after 3 years- but instead making sure he gets paid all of his original contract if HE only lasts 3 years as well.

Also, speculation that because Tom Condon is the agent he's trying to break the standard of offset language as a precedent, so he becomes known as the guy who can get the most $ for players no matter if they are released before a contract ends- and this attracts more players to his practice.
        Isn't it offset language? So if you're out of the league, there is no offset, and the Chargers would owe him whatever his contract stipulates.

Honestly, this is one of those things where the negative PR for the player seems to make this a bad move. He'll have collected a lot of money by then, and fans are not sympathetic to the idea he's entitled to double-dip as a reward for being a failure.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Nailed it.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

The stadium issue puts pressure on Stingy McSpanos to get a deal done, so Condon seized the opportunity.
            He just doesn't realise he is dealing with a complete moron.
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
              The stadium issue puts pressure on Stingy McSpanos to get a deal done, so Condon seized the opportunity.
              He just doesn't realise he is dealing with a complete moron.
              Dean Spanos interview:

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                Isn't it offset language? So if you're out of the league, there is no offset, and the Chargers would owe him whatever his contract stipulates.

Honestly, this is one of those things where the negative PR for the player seems to make this a bad move. He'll have collected a lot of money by then, and fans are not sympathetic to the idea he's entitled to double-dip as a reward for being a failure.
                yes, its the offset- but the rub is if he's cut after year 3, but signs with another team- BOTH teams pay him his contracted salary that year. That's the double dipping thing. Chargers think they shouldn't have to pay if he lands elsewhere (theoretically), though I find it unlikely they will be cutting him at all. Funny how they don't mind hiring coaches like Marty & NOrv that are still being paid by their former teams, but don't want it to happen to them.
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

Funny how they don't mind hiring coaches like Marty & NOrv that are still being paid by their former teams, but don't want it to happen to them.
                  Not sure I can blame anyone for that.

Comment

• Faded blues
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2013
                    • Send PM

Condon is trying to claim it's more than just offset language and no one is buying what he is selling.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

yes, its the offset- but the rub is if he's cut after year 3, but signs with another team- BOTH teams pay him his contracted salary that year. That's the double dipping thing. Chargers think they shouldn't have to pay if he lands elsewhere (theoretically), though I find it unlikely they will be cutting him at all. Funny how they don't mind hiring coaches like Marty & NOrv that are still being paid by their former teams, but don't want it to happen to them.
                      That's right . Just because Dan Snider is a dumbass don't mean they have too be.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

The other thing that supposedly has Condon annoyed is the chargers like to spread out the bonus money. Instead of a single lump sum bonus, the Chargers spread a lot of the bigger bonuses out. They are still fully guaranteed, just you have to wait to get the money.

The only way it can really bite the player is if they get caught breaking the morals clause to their contracts before the bonus is paid. But they would be subject to losing the money and repaying the bonus even if they got it right away.

Bosa is going to have a hard time getting a lot of sympathy from the Chargers, or a lot of other small market teams. Lots of teams defer bonuses. A lot of the highest paid players on the Chargers have bonuses like this. Rivers has had them, and I would have to check, but I am pretty sure it was on every contract. It can also give teams some felxibility in how they handle the cap, which is a bad thing to mess with as players usually are being very mercenary about things.

Sure, they are NFL teams and can probably get the money anytime they need it and give it to Bosa upfront, but if you just shelled out a ton in FA, have lots of pots in the fire, then cash flow can get tricky, especially if the Spanos family has some of their NFL money earmarked for other things. I think the bigger issue is that Chargers like giving defered bonsus and if they relax their stance with Bosa, no one will take them, so they have to stick to their guns. Condon is going to have to bend on this. He still gets his money and that is that.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          The other thing that supposedly has Condon annoyed is the chargers like to spread out the bonus money. Instead of a single lump sum bonus, the Chargers spread a lot of the bigger bonuses out. They are still fully guaranteed, just you have to wait to get the money.

The only way it can really bite the player is if they get caught breaking the morals clause to their contracts before the bonus is paid. But they would be subject to losing the money and repaying the bonus even if they got it right away.

Bosa is going to have a hard time getting a lot of sympathy from the Chargers, or a lot of other small market teams. Lots of teams defer bonuses. A lot of the highest paid players on the Chargers have bonuses like this. Rivers has had them, and I would have to check, but I am pretty sure it was on every contract. It can also give teams some felxibility in how they handle the cap, which is a bad thing to mess with as players usually are being very mercenary about things.

Sure, they are NFL teams and can probably get the money anytime they need it and give it to Bosa upfront, but if you just shelled out a ton in FA, have lots of pots in the fire, then cash flow can get tricky, especially if the Spanos family has some of their NFL money earmarked for other things. I think the bigger issue is that Chargers like giving defered bonsus and if they relax their stance with Bosa, no one will take them, so they have to stick to their guns. Condon is going to have to bend on this. He still gets his money and that is that.
                          The bonus issue is the real one, I think. The offset stuff is very standard - just about every team does the same thing the Chargers do there. But spreading the bonus out is a little more unique. The only way it hurts the player is he does not get all the money at once and loses the time value/investment opportunity. Maybe it also impacts how much the agent gets in commission and when he gets it? I don't know. But I doubt a 20 year old kid is worried about losing 5% return on money for one year when he is looking at several million dollars coming his way suddenly. And sometimes spreading money out has a tax savings associated with it for the player. Condon is probably trying to break this practice of the Chargers and using Bosa as his pawn. This is why I feel agents are bottom feeders who claim to look out for their clients but really look out for themselves. They don't care about the player or about football/the fans. Condon likely tied these two issues together so he can later publicly say that his side moved and is willing to accept the offset (that everyone else in the NFL already accepts).

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X