• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Stats can be deceiving at the college level. In 2002, Charles Rogers caught 68 passes for 1,351 yards and 13 touchdowns at Michigan State. That same season Andre Johnson had 52 receptions for 1,052 yards and nine touchdowns for Miami. Rogers ran a 4.4 at 6-2, 202 pounds. Rogers went second overall in the 2003 NFL Draft, one spot ahead of Johnson. Rogers ended up being one of the biggest busts in NFL history. Johnson was just voted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame (well overdue). Anquan Boldin went in the second round of that same draft, after running a 4.71 at the Combine. There are stories like this all over the place.

As far as Nabers goes, this quote from an anonymous scout sums up how I feel about him:

“He is what he is right now,” said a sixth scout. “He’s topped out. Against the Alabama corners his production all came against zone coverage over the middle. When he was manned up he struggled. But he has straight dog in him once he catches the ball.”

People have made too much of that performance against Alabama. He also struggled against Florida State's Renardo Green, who's projected to go in the third round of this draft. What's he going to do against Patrick Surtain, Sauce Gardner, and the other top corners in the NFL? He also doesn't seem to be the type of player who fits in Harbaugh's system--schematically or personality-wise.

As I said earlier, we'll see how it goes.

He was productive against Arnold ... he just wasn't matched up much against him.
    Struggled?

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

If that is indeed the scenario (and I don't think it is) then the obvious pick @#4 will be the obvious pick @#5. I think most people believe that obvious pick is MHJ. He's probably the best player in the draft... QB or non-QB. Just my opinion. #1 players can command a price. If it's not enough... move on be glad the 4 teams in front of you handed you the #1.

In the end, the Cardinals will take MHJ... and be grateful that the 3 teams in from of them handed them #1. Oh, and WR just happens to be the Cards biggest need. They would be foolish to trade back to #11. They would be out of the running for the Big-3. And while they may dangle their newly acquired picks, what would be the point...?

If the Cards screwed me... I'd screw them right back. And I think Hortiz's latest comments have insinuated just that.
      take the huge haul of draft picks and move back up for Nabers/Odunze, or stay put and pick up Bowers,
      not that complicated.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

This anti wide receiver crusade is getting ridiculous ....
        Bill Walsh supposedly saying that wide receivers are a dime a dozen when he had Jerry Rice and John Taylor on his Super Bowl 49er squads.

Just wow!

Did you hear the one about Vince Lombardi saying he never really need talented offensive linemen, just disciplined?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

He was productive against Arnold ... he just wasn't matched up much against him.
          Struggled?
          The scout did not mention Arnold's name. He said, "When he was manned up he struggled." Nabers was also matched up against Kool-Aid a couple of times and did hardly anything.

Struggled may be too strong of a word, but I think productive on your part is, as well.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

This anti wide receiver crusade is getting ridiculous ....
            Bill Walsh supposedly saying that wide receivers are a dime a dozen when he had Jerry Rice and John Taylor on his Super Bowl 49er squads.

Just wow!

Did you hear the one about Vince Lombardi saying he never really need talented offensive linemen, just disciplined?
            Is that from the same person who said Taliese Fuaga never went to class at UCLA?

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Is that from the same person who said Taliese Fuaga never went to class at UCLA?
              Stop pointing fingers. If you were being honest here, you'd admit that YOU never went to class at UCLA, either! Hypocrite!

LOL

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

Interesting article on NFL.com that highlighted 3 trade up scenarios. Using the Jimmy Johnson points chart they showed 3 "premiums" paid by teams jumping into the top 10. The NY Giants jumped to 3 and paid a 21% premium according to the chart. The Jets moved from 10 to 7 and paid a 14% premium to the titans for the honor. Last they had KC jump to 9 (to get Bowers) and they ponied up a 22% premium according to the JJ chart.

I found this very interesting as I had just read an article on Hortiz stating that it would take more than a "fair trade" to move out of 5. "They have to make it attractive for us" was his quoted statement. I love what he is doing there by greasing the skids so to speak for any team(s) that wants to make an offer. To me it's a succinct go big or don't call message to anyone wanting 5. It is so refreshing to feel like we have the right guy in that job and he is playing by his rules. I cannot wait to see what the next week brings.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                  Nutty's Mock:

It hasn't changed much over the last few weeks. It is OL-Centric and has some Michigan players where they slot.
                  It starts with a trade-back with Minnesota. We get #11 and #23. No more. No less. The Cardinals do the obvious and take MHJ @#4.

#11 RT Taliese Fuaga: Best run blocker in the draft.
                  #23 LB Edgerrin Cooper: QB Hunter. A lot of the same traits that JH and JH like.
                  #39 DT Kris Jenkins: Michigan know-how.
                  #69 CB Mike Sainristil: Michigan know-how. Slot corners fall. Tough.
                  #105 WR Brendan Rice: Jerry's son knows how to run routes. Perfect for play-action.
                  #110 RG Zak Zinter: No more messing around @RG. Salyer can be depth @RG and @LT.
                  #140 TE Jared Wiley: Good at run/catch. Development.
                  #181 S Josh Proctor. Tough, physical.
                  #225 RB George Holani. FA Dobbins pushes RB down my mock. Holani is tough.
                  #253 EDGE Jaylen Harrell. Minter used him as pass rusher and dropped him into coverage a lot.
                  Lockstep...lol....working on my final...first draft I had 69, 105, 110, and 140 the same...im doing a no trade, but if its 11 and 23, I woulda predicted Latham and Dejean, Colson at 37, and hit DT in the third...but we got the same vision...prediction wise, anyway.
                  The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Struggled?
                    Why are people calling a Bama game he nabbed 10 rec for 170 yards, 1 TD as a struggle?

I’d take that struggle every Sunday …
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

This makes zero sense ..... was Hortiz drugged?
                      You'll have to watch the presser yourself... but basically he's saying that they have to anticipate what each team in front of them will do... and have a plan for each scenario.

He was not trying to predict what each team would do... which is what some people were trying to suggest.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

The difference is that my invention didn't fake a quote from a legend,

and I'm willing to stand by my statement

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

take the huge haul of draft picks and move back up for Nabers/Odunze, or stay put and pick up Bowers,
                          not that complicated.
                          Cards take MHJ... not that complicated.
                          We trade with Minnesota... not that complicated.

Comment

Working...
                          X