• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

The TE position has been disregarded and devalued by the Chargers for a long long time....and this has affected fans who have grown used to having almost zero production from the TE position.... which is really sad....

in the days of Gates and Winslow, when there were critical 3rd downs, we(and defenses) all knew the ball was going their way and most likely it was complete for a first down or TD....
    just like KC and kelsey today.....

the top 4 TE's in the NFL were in the championship round!......

most of the last several or more SB's have been won by a team with great QB and great TE with no great diva WR's.....

last great WR to win a SB was probably Rice..... even Denver won SB's without great WR's but great QB and great TE...Sharp....

all the bad teams that draft great WR's high (like top 5) never win the big one... same is true for those who draft the top RB's.....

this is because in playoffs, you are playing teams that at least hafe a good enough defense to stop the run or take away one star WR..... and WR's take longer to get open than great TE's....

if you have a running game, a great TE keeps your drives alive so you can keep pounding the ball.....

Bowers is the best pass catcher in this draft after MHJ.... and both are generational....

Unlike moist great receiving TE's, Bowers is great as a RB/FB and is a very good blocker which is t=really rare

Parham has some talent but cannot block and cannot show up every week!!!.... last years TE's had almost zero impact on our games...they either dropped passes or were injured and could not play....

Chargers will be using 2 TE's most of the time...... with ONE or 2 WR's.... Bowers would be the best most impactful playmaker we could add to this team....

Chiefs and NE hav e proven you dont need number one WR's....if your have a great QB and great TE..... and Bowers has highest floor of any player in this draft and he might be best TE prospect in NFL history! ...based on many experts..... and remember, Harbaugh tri9ed really hard to recruit him because he was the ideal harbaugh type TE.....

I've hear that Reid would love to trade up for hm because kelsey is close to retirement..... and Reid understands that teams cannot afford a Diva WR past 4 years

If we draft Nabers, he will be under contract for 5 years but we will be forced to trade him away after 4 because he will demand 30-40 million per year in his second contract......

TE's.... even the top TE makes a fraction of that.....
    The tight end position has not been devalued by this team for a long, long time. We had Gates from 2003 through 2018. We drafted Hunter Henry in the second round in 2016. Telesco made a bad decision paying for Bryan Bulaga instead of re-signing Hunter Henry in 2020, but it's not like we haven't had a good or even great tight end for several decades.

Bowers is not a very good blocker. He needs to work on that.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

Bowers is a playmaker !

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        Bowers is a playmaker !
        I am tempted to get him at #5. Wished there was a way to trade down and still get him at 11.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          That is interesting considering I searched for the workout yesterday and they said he and Mims didn't run a 40 but Bowers did drills.

Maybe he ran one later idk and 4.53 is pretty damn good to me if he indeed ran it.
          ​​​

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I am tempted to get him at #5. Wished there was a way to trade down and still get him at 11.
            Who's to say there *isn't*? Lots can happen.

The possibilities are endless, and when THAT's the case, usually the most boring thing happens and everybody's disappointed. lol

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

The TE position has been disregarded and devalued by the Chargers for a long long time....and this has affected fans who have grown used to having almost zero production from the TE position.... which is really sad....

in the days of Gates and Winslow, when there were critical 3rd downs, we(and defenses) all knew the ball was going their way and most likely it was complete for a first down or TD....
              just like KC and kelsey today.....

the top 4 TE's in the NFL were in the championship round!......

most of the last several or more SB's have been won by a team with great QB and great TE with no great diva WR's.....

last great WR to win a SB was probably Rice..... even Denver won SB's without great WR's but great QB and great TE...Sharp....

all the bad teams that draft great WR's high (like top 5) never win the big one... same is true for those who draft the top RB's.....

this is because in playoffs, you are playing teams that at least hafe a good enough defense to stop the run or take away one star WR..... and WR's take longer to get open than great TE's....

if you have a running game, a great TE keeps your drives alive so you can keep pounding the ball.....

Bowers is the best pass catcher in this draft after MHJ.... and both are generational....

Unlike moist great receiving TE's, Bowers is great as a RB/FB and is a very good blocker which is t=really rare

Parham has some talent but cannot block and cannot show up every week!!!.... last years TE's had almost zero impact on our games...they either dropped passes or were injured and could not play....

Chargers will be using 2 TE's most of the time...... with ONE or 2 WR's.... Bowers would be the best most impactful playmaker we could add to this team....

Chiefs and NE hav e proven you dont need number one WR's....if your have a great QB and great TE..... and Bowers has highest floor of any player in this draft and he might be best TE prospect in NFL history! ...based on many experts..... and remember, Harbaugh tri9ed really hard to recruit him because he was the ideal harbaugh type TE.....

I've hear that Reid would love to trade up for hm because kelsey is close to retirement..... and Reid understands that teams cannot afford a Diva WR past 4 years

If we draft Nabers, he will be under contract for 5 years but we will be forced to trade him away after 4 because he will demand 30-40 million per year in his second contract......

TE's.... even the top TE makes a fraction of that
              That bolded part of your post is exactly the argument that they use to justify taking WR high, you get 4-5 discounted years or WR play as opposed to taking a TE high and you have a younger player making what more accomplished veterans are making, but nobody seems to focus on contract #2 like you did right here, the WR value argument is all about the short term and nothing about what comes later...there is no question that Kelce is a better value than the highest paid WR in the NFL, it's been proven...
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Bowers is not a very good blocker. He needs to work on that.
                I *do* think that being a Plus blocker is going to be a requirement for making the Bolts' roster, moving forward, with very few exceptions. (Hello, Darius Davis!!)

Harbaugh wants "shove it down their throat" to be the name of the Chargers' game, so I expect this year's draft class to reflect that.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post
                  Just did a sim and we get rome at 11 and Latham at 23
                  Where do I sign this petition?!?

Comment

• Critty
                    Dominate the Day.
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

That is interesting considering I searched for the workout yesterday and they said he and Mims didn't run a 40 but Bowers did drills.

Maybe he ran one later idk and 4.53 is pretty damn good to me if he indeed ran it.
                    ​
                    I know everyone is crazy about Bowers. But I didn't like some of his route running. And then I didn't like that so many of his catches and yards was by design and then ran over college players. Not that it doesn't make sense to get ball in his hands, but that was college level and it was on a team that was really good at blocking. I don't see the production translation to NFL. His style looks like he won't ever play 17 games. So in my view he is overrated prospect that will end up on IR. I know it's harsh critic but it's drafting players about projection of production at next level. I think if I'm drafting a player top 15. I want a player that is plug and play for a decade. He could be that. But I'd rather have a BPA of OL or DL that early in draft.
                    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

With a deal with MIN,

At 11 : B. Bowers, T. Fuaga or B. Murphy
                      At 23 : C. Dejean, B. Thomas or J. Verse

Not bad at all but can I have a 2nd or a 3rd en plus.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

I know everyone is crazy about Bowers. But I didn't like some of his route running. And then I didn't like that so many of his catches and yards was by design and then ran over college players. Not that it doesn't make sense to get ball in his hands, but that was college level and it was on a team that was really good at blocking. I don't see the production translation to NFL. His style looks like he won't ever play 17 games. So in my view he is overrated prospect that will end up on IR. I know it's harsh critic but it's drafting players about projection of production at next level. I think if I'm drafting a player top 15. I want a player that is plug and play for a decade. He could be that. But I'd rather have a BPA of OL or DL that early in draft.
                        You are spot on about one thing, he definitely played against college players while he was competing in college football, but isn't that true for literally every single player in this draft except for that one Canadian DB that's eligible for the draft? Some might argue that he faced the highest caliber of players outside of the NFL because of the conference he played in but yeah, they were still college athletes, you're right...
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                          With a deal with MIN,

At 11 : B. Bowers, T. Fuaga or B. Murphy
                          At 23 : C. Dejean, B. Thomas or J. Verse

Not bad at all but can I have a 2nd or a 3rd en plus.
                          J. Verse at #23? that just seems so incredibly unlikely to me, arguably the best or perhaps second best pass rusher in the entire draft falling all the way to 23, did they find a joint in his bag at the combine or something?

Comment

Working...
                          X