• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChargerTrader
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2018
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Without a trade-back, I don't see a RT @#37 as a sure thing in the draft. You're gambling that Morgan or Suamataia will be there @#37. FA RT are free agents for a reason. None of them can dominate in the run game like Fuaga.

Fuaga + #23 pick can not be matched by [insert favorite prospect here]. The #23 pick will not be a ham sandwich or bag of Doritos. It will be full-blown meat-and-potatoes. Something for Minter to sink his teeth into... not mere table scraps.

Get your later round WR or TE. Get your WR and TE in FA.
    Value @WR in the 4th round is worth researching. That's why we're visiting those guys this year. Early 4th round this year is WR heaven.
    I would be super happy with Fuaga at #11. Harbaugh has stressed protecting Herbert and the run game.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post

While I agree with you that there can be an upgrade over Pip. I just don’t see them doing that this year. There have been glimpses of Pip being good enough and that was with below average Oline coaching. I do think Pip will have a bounce back year under this regime and coaching staff.

My prediction is because Hortiz loves picks. They are going to coach up Pip this year and make him a quality RT. They will then turn around and trade him next offseason for an extra pick and draft his replacement next year if they don’t draft a RT this year at some point. They could take RT Roger Rosengarten and develop him this year to take over next year.
      Absolutely, Hortiz loves picks! #11 and #23 gets him exactly what he wants (RT/LB). Also, there is no better year to upgrade Pip than this year. If you have a dominant run-blocking RT @#11 then you take him. Plumpkins wasn't Joe's pick. He has no emotional ties. He's simply building the team his coaches are asking him to build. Dominant RT and versatile, blitzing LB... done! Moving on to pick #37... where I will find a DT that can push the pocket and stop the run.

That's how you build a team... not obsessing over "generational" this or that.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargerTrader View Post

WR Thomas JR would be in my cluster at that point as well.
        Yep... and throw in the forgotten man, Keon Coleman.
        But man... the 4th round. There are Puka Nacua and Tank Dell prospects there...

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Without a trade-back, I don't see a RT @#37 as a sure thing in the draft. You're gambling that Morgan or Suamataia will be there @#37. FA RT are free agents for a reason. None of them can dominate in the run game like Fuaga.

Fuaga + #23 pick can not be matched by [insert favorite prospect here]. The #23 pick will not be a ham sandwich or bag of Doritos. It will be full-blown meat-and-potatoes. Something for Minter to sink his teeth into... not mere table scraps.

Get your later round WR or TE. Get your WR and TE in FA.
          Value @WR in the 4th round is worth researching. That's why we're visiting those guys this year. Early 4th round this year is WR heaven.
          I can think of better OTs and guards getting drafted in round 3 than wide receivers.

Ty Hill was there because he was a creep and even the ethically challenged Andy Reid was afraid of bad publicity in drafting him earlier.

Rams get Nacua in round 5, and now every one thinks day 3 is a reliable option.

Every time the draft is loaded at one position, that position gets culled quickly.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargerTrader View Post

WR Thomas JR would be in my cluster at that point as well.
            Many/most think he won't make it to #23 .... somewhere around the late teens seems to be where he goes in mocks.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
              BTW, when did Pip suddenly become a bad run blocker?

That was his strength a few years ago, and I remember going through a few games watching him ball out in run blocking,
              wondering why Staley preferred twinkle toes starting over him in that last Raiders game debacle.
              The day we picked him. He never reaches his landmarks in the run game. The only thing he can do at an NFL level is combo block... which everybody can do. We started thinking he was good when he rose above the 50's pff grade (after 4 years). Storm Norton beat him out in Year 3. Storm Norton! Roman/Harbaugh will expect better.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

The day we picked him. He never reaches his landmarks in the run game. The only thing he can do at an NFL level is combo block... which everybody can do. We started thinking he was good when he rose above the 50's pff grade (after 4 years). Storm Norton beat him out in Year 3. Storm Norton! Roman/Harbaugh will expect better.
                Nonsense

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Yep... and throw in the forgotten man, Keon Coleman.
                  But man... the 4th round. There are Puka Nacua and Tank Dell prospects there...
                  The WR class is deep, with less of a drop off than at the OT and IDL positions.

​​​​​I think people also forget that if you can give your QB an extra second to make a decision, they can make any WR look good. Brady used to have hours in the pocket sometimes to find an open WR.

Let's build out the Online and front seven D first.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

So is "Nabers is the best WR I've ever scouted"... It's OK to lie during Liar's Month. It's kind of expected.
                    ok bro, if you say so. I don't know if he's blowing smoke or not, but that was hardly the point or tone of your post.

you can walk it back ... I would too. bygones.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Hmmm, I asked cuz wu seems to be saying Alt would require the same help in pass pro. Agree Alt is better than Pip, sure, but who wouldn’t be? Sincere question as later pick OL guys get similar concerns, so where’s the top shelf OL upgrade with the 5 pick? IMHO, not there this draft as the big concern is pass pro the final two minutes when edge guys have their ears pinned back and we have four WRs lined up. May not be a solution to that, so be it. Then if we want to upgrade the rush attack, Is Alt the only upgrade this draft? Just trying to maximize that 5 pick..
                      No. Wu didn't say that. Alt doesn't need help doing anything. He is very good @pass blocking. He is very good @run blocking. Alt will go @#7 if we trade-back... because he is top-shelf. To upgrade the run game, Fuaga @#11 is your best bet.

The final 2-minutes can adequately be addressed with a 4th-round WR. Jermaine Burton or Brendan Rice both have route running chops along with deep speed and ball-tracking abilities. JP, QJ, Hurst, and a 4th round WR can get your 2-minute drill done. And you have 2 NFL-caliber OT's to protect the edges far better than Plumpkin's well-documented deficiencies... along with Gus-the-Bus to pick up middle blitzes. This will not be Kellen Moore's 2-minute pass protections.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

BTW, when did Pip suddenly become a bad run blocker?

That was his strength a few years ago, and I remember going through a few games watching him ball out in run blocking,
                        wondering why Staley preferred twinkle toes starting over him in that last Raiders game debacle.
                        I remember that as well, then something changed (scheme?), and he did not so well at that. Also we had four guys on the OL last year who looked average to bad, and Slater on one wheel, so no one was getting any help whatsoever.

With a power run scheme, is he back to run blocking form? Only JH2 know for sure.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

This is the most ridiculous of ultimatums .... almost of temper tantrum proportions if Horvitz doesn't see things my way.

And he just might not see things exactly like you.

Fortunately, the fire Horvitz thread is already up and running.
                          This is not an ultimatum nor a temper tantrum. This is just the way Hortiz/Harbaugh/Roman/Minter build an offense/defense. If there is a Fire Hortiz Thread up and running... then people didn't realize what Harbaugh/Hortiz were apt to do.

Comment

Working...
                          X