Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Exactly!

Both the defense and the offense will look different than anything we're used to.
    You have to consider scheme fit. Both Harbaugh and Hortiz have said they're looking for competitors over measurables.

In his latest interview, Hortiz specifically mentioned what they looked for in a DT. He doesn't have to have stats (sacks). What are the little things he does to make the whole team better...? How does he 2-gap...? Does he free others up...? Michigan does a lot of those little things... so does Baltimore.

Draft pundits are measuring prospects against each other. They are not specifically considering players in specific systems or roles.
    BAL has a $100M DT who had 13 sacks. Lol. I’d like to think you’d be disappointed if Hortiz actually said who he wants to draft in an interview. A DT who racks up 56 tackles and 13 sacks from the inside is not just a “do the little things” DT.

KC has a pretty good DT too. He makes a difference too.

Jim played the players he could recruit to come to Ann Arbor, and I do like Jenkins. He’s not the best in the draft, but he’s top 3 or 4? So they very well could come up to a pick and he’s top DT and also near the top of their board overall

You are partially right though - JH2 ARE going to look for fierce competitors that play hard ass football, but don’t be fooled into thinking they don’t care about measurables too. Jim’s motto isn’t “this for that”, his motto is “MORE IS MORE”. They’ve talked at some length about speed too. Speed was not UM’s greatest strength. He wants it all - More speed, more strength, more nastiness, more dawg, more of more of more everything.

I don’t expect JH2 will place a heavy x-factor in their BPA calculation on how well or how long they have known a player. first of all, Hortiz wasn’t at UM and he’s leading the player assessments and board construction. He’s got the persona to effectively explain why a different player might be better. I have a lot of faith in them to go out and do the detailed work to learn about players they don’t know as well. There were some good UM players that will be drafted, and we could draft some. Or not - I guess I’m placing more faith in our staff to get the BEST players they can and not just be lazy and pick guys they already know.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

BAL has a $100M DT who had 13 sacks. Lol. I’d like to think you’d be disappointed if Hortiz actually said who he wants to draft in an interview. A DT who racks up 56 tackles and 13 sacks from the inside is not just a “do the little things” DT.
      You mean the kid from Texas A&M I wanted the Chargers to draft several years ago...? Yeah, I've heard of him.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

IMV we will address some our needs in the draft, and address them as well as reasonably possible.

Try to do it all and next to nothing gets fixed.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Why are people calling a Bama game he nabbed 10 rec for 170 yards, 1 TD as a struggle?

I’d take that struggle every Sunday …
          The scout didn't say the Bama game was a struggle. The scout said Nabers struggled against man coverage in that game.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Well we've seen plenty of 1st round WRs bust. So nobody knows how any of these WR guys play out in the NFL.

But if you believe Nabers is not going to be drafted in the top 10, then that is naive.

In other words he is top ten talent coming out. But if you're asking if he's going to be a star or bust in the NFL,
            then that's a very different question which neither you or I can be certain of.
            Never said that. He'll probably get drafted somewhere in the top ten. I don't see the Giants taking him over Odunze, but I think the latest Nabers will go is #9 to Chicago. I do think more than ten other players in this draft will turn out better than Nabers. In that regard, he probably won't be alone in the group of top ten picks to not live up to the hype.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

If we go WR at 5, gotta believe Jenkins is their top guy at 37, unless somebody unexpected really drops.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

You mean the kid from Texas A&M I wanted the Chargers to draft several years ago...? Yeah, I've heard of him.
                You used to want the Chargers to draft elite DTs? Well good on ya, bro - what changed? Lets do it!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The scout didn't say the Bama game was a struggle. The scout said Nabers struggled against man coverage in that game.
                  “The scout” …

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

As we get closer to Day 1 of the draft, I get the feeling that the Vikings believe that they may be able to stay at #11 and get their QB.

The risk, of course, is whether the Raiders or Broncos jump ahead of them.

Comment

• electricgold
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2020
                      • Send PM

Tykee Smith S Georgia Ht: 5-10 Wt: 205 40: 4.46...

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                        Tykee Smith S Georgia Ht: 5-10 Wt: 205 40: 4.46...
                        Tackling machine.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                          If we go WR at 5, gotta believe Jenkins is their top guy at 37, unless somebody unexpected really drops.
                          Or a CB.

Comment

Working...
                          X