• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Watch him play, he doesn't make people miss and he isn't a great route runner. He is good with ball in hands because he is fast and breaks tackles. But when you get to NFL level, everyone is bigger and faster. So you can't win as much just by being fast and breaking tackles. You will get run down more, and there will be better players tackling you.

I said WR Mike Williams style is more likely to put him on IR as he is making more contested catches and taking more contact and impacts to his body. I thought Telesco should have traded him for that reason. Availability is the best ability. And for me it makes sense to also project injury probability. More likely or less likely to miss games. I get it's not a bold prediction because football is basically 100% injury sport and avg careers are short. But for me it still makes sense to assess who is more likely to miss games. And I'm glad they got Ben Herbert and his philosophy of making them harder to break.

I also add into my assessment snap counts.
    The OL plays more snaps than TE.
    A good Defensive starter will play more snaps than the TE.
    So when using a 1st Rd pick. I better have confidence that TE is not only a special player but also will be available to play a ton of snaps. Then it's high Rd 1 value prospect. Since my assessment is he will get beat up a bit an NFL level playing same way and miss games. And I also don't see a team trying to feature him and give him a lot of TE screen and passes in the flat. He will be another option, but not the first option.

So.....I have him ranked lower than many others opinion of where he should be drafted. For my draft pick value Rd 1.
    I think it has to a top OL or DL/Edge/CB when picking Top 15.
    If they trade down and Bowers is there at #23. Then I'm not going hate the pick. Even if I rather they take a different prospect at #23.
    I guess I just don't see what you see, not even close, Bowers runs with a low pad level, it's one of the reasons he gets compared to Kelce, Kelce does that, Travis becomes like a giant ass RB once he has the ball, so that keeps his legs at angles that minimizes the chances of sustaining lower leg injury and because of the power in his legs combined with the flex in his ankles, knees, and hips allows him to drop his weight low which surprises the smaller guys that are trying to tackle him, Bowers is not Kelce, but he has a similar style of running with the ball after contact, he runs with that RB type low pad level too, and he's also really good like Kelce at avoiding and anticipating the big hit, that forward lean keeps them lower to the ground so they land with more calculated intent and less impact once tackled, go back and find evidence of either guy taking one of those massive shots, I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I'm saying it doesn't happen often...will brock be as durable as Travis? probably no, the odds are against that for sure, the great ones like Gates, Kelce, Gonzales, etc...they always managed to stay healthy for very long stretches, no one can say for sure that Bowers will do that, I honestly don't know why you would predict that, you don't need to jinx these guys, the odds are already stacked against them as it is...
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      A list of the 13 draft attendees was released. The 3 WR names will be there, but no Alt ,Bowers or Fuaga. Latham will be attending.

I think it's mandatory for the Alabama guys to attend, LOL....so no JJ McCarthy, no Jared Verse, and fucking Darius Robinson is going? seems to me like some guys didn't much care enough to spend time in Detroit, LOL...Las Vegas kind of ruined the draft for the guys that came after...I mean how do you follow up Las Vegas with fucking Kansas Shitty and now Detroit, LOL, yeah I can see why some of these guys that are missing from that list had no interest in going...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

"the point" can be literally said about every draft prospect ever drafted - hence the point is not a point at all. you know that was my point - come on, man!

what are you saying about Bowers, he can't play against good players? are you really saying that? don't whisper and mumble - spit it out if you've got something to say about him.
        Doesn't matter if it's said a million times.
        Doesn't make the point less valid.

I said it straight already. There has been no whisper or mumble. It's been loud and clear. I will write it again since you seem to struggle with reading comprehension. He is overrated and likely to go on IR every year based on how he plays football. That is not something I would say about every prospect.

​​​It's fine we disagree. If you still don't understand. Read this... Bowers is not a top 20 prospect for me because I think he won't be able to duplicate what happen at Georgia at NFL level. I don't think the NFL teams will feature him like Bulldogs did.

The entire league thought Isiah Simmons would be great. He has yet to show any impact at NFL level. I thought he would be a starter with pro bowl level play. So far that assessment failed. There are no sure things. If I was to say who would be close to a sure thing. I would bet on MHJ and Joe Alt. Not Bowers.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

I see Slot Corner as our biggest weakness.
          We get killed there, and ask people to do things they are not good at.
          Terrion Arnold tackles strong and has Slot versatility.
          Does anyone see a McDuffie for us here ?
          Hmmm.
          Maybe at #11 ?
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Doesn't matter if it's said a million times.
            Doesn't make the point less valid.

I said it straight already. There has been no whisper or mumble. It's been loud and clear. I will write it again since you seem to struggle with reading comprehension. He is overrated and likely to go on IR every year based on how he plays football. That is not something I would say about every prospect.

​​It's fine we disagree. If you still don't understand. Read this... Bowers is not a top 20 prospect for me because I think he won't be able to duplicate what happen at Georgia at NFL level. I don't think the NFL teams will feature him like Bulldogs did.

The entire league thought Isiah Simmons would be great. He has yet to show any impact at NFL level. I thought he would be a starter with pro bowl level play. So far that assessment failed. There are no sure things. If I was to say who would be close to a sure thing. I would bet on MHJ and Joe Alt. Not Bowers.

that bolded part, take your own advice from your own post because right now it sure as heck seems like you are 100% sure Bowers has no NFL future, LOL!!!

Comment

• Critty
              Dominate the Day.
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I didn't say 300 lb DTs were chasing him, don't look at me. Why do you think Bowers is uniquely unable to adapt to NFL - every college player has to adapt. what is so uniquely deficient about his intelligence and ability? I don't get it. I don't see him trucking 300 lb DTs every play in college tape, why is that a concern in NFL? I saw him blasting CBs, but so what - I see NFL TEs do that every Sunday when they get a chance. They usually grin afterwards, its fun for them.

Apologies, I don't know who your slim reaper is or which draft you refer to. I'm sure you made an excellent choice.
              I think he will be fine TE at NFL level. I just don't think he will be featured like he was at Georgia. And playing the same way vs bigger stronger competition will likely lead to missed games.
              So overall I am not seeing him as this generational talent that will be a top 3 TE his entire career. I see a very good football player. I would draft him. But not with a top 20 pick. If he is BPA at #23 and Chargers have that pick. Then they should take him. If he is not the BPA, they should not take him.
              Many have him as a top 5 player. I don't.

Slim Reaper is WR DeVonta Smith picked #10 by Eagles. The main concern people had with him was injury because he is 170lbs. But I didn't see an injury concern even though he was going to moving up to NFL level because his playing style wasn't high contact and high impact collisions. Others argued about his size concern and dropped him down their list. Bowers although weigh 243, the way he plays their will be collisions and a lot of them. And he will break a tackle and take it to the house. I like that. But then he won't be available because I don't think it will last 17 games. So I dropped him down the list the same way people dropped Slim Reaper because of concern about availability.

​​​​

Comment

• Critty
                Dominate the Day.
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

that bolded part, take your own advice from your own post because right now it sure as heck seems like you are 100% sure Bowers has no NFL future, LOL!!!
                How does it get this extreme. At no point did I say Bowers would be a bust or have no future in NFL..LOL .Whats with the hyperbolic post. All I said is I don't have him rated as high. Therefore to me he is overrated. And I gave my reasons. Don't think will be featured at NFL level. Think his game will cause him to go on IR every year. Would draft him, but not with a top 20 pick and not if I had another BPA I liked more. Somehow that turned into 100% sure he has no NFL future.

It's just prospects and opinions about them.
                Look, when Bowers unleashes his generational talents on the NFL. All of you can tell me how lame my assessment was.
                And can serve me crow. And of course if he doesn't live up to generational hype, then you can still say ....well most players don't live up to hype once advanced to NFL level. So it's an easy prediction to make. Broken clocks are right twice a day too. I can only be on the losing side of this argument at this point. There is no win for me here.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                  If we do the same trick with Jeremiah's mock, the #23 could be ...

B. Thomas, WR
                  or
                  J. Power-J., IOL
                  or
                  B. Murphy, DT

All I want to say is that #23 could be a very good player at a position of need.
                  If all three of these players should be available at #23? Wow, that's an embarrassment of riches to consider there.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Lets get it out. Bowers is a top 10 pick in this draft. Without the QBs he's probably top 5. I personally don't think we will get him because
                    of several reasons, which have nothing to do with his talent or fit with the Chargers. I'll be super happy if we somehow land him, but I don't
                    think it's happening.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                      Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                      • Feb 2019
                      • McLean Illinois
                      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      I see Slot Corner as our biggest weakness.
                      We get killed there, and ask people to do things they are not good at.
                      Terrion Arnold tackles strong and has Slot versatility.
                      Does anyone see a McDuffie for us here ?
                      Hmmm.
                      Maybe at #11 ?
                      If there is an 11, there is a 23 to go with it...and thats where Im taking Cooper DeJean...but if I miss? Its Sainristil or Max Melton day 2...hell, Im not even sure Jim wouldnt pull the trigger on Sainristil at 23...

But CB at 11? Im skeptical, but Arnold is a damn fine player...why not?
                      Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

If there is an 11, there is a 23 to go with it...and thats where Im taking Cooper DeJean...but if I miss? Its Sainristil or Max Melton day 2...hell, Im not even sure Jim wouldnt pull the trigger on Sainristil at 23...

But CB at 11? Im skeptical, but Arnold is a damn fine player...why not?
                        Great !
                        Arnold's negative is deep speed.
                        I just think tackling and Slot flexibility is so important.
                        He is more valuable than these midround Combo Safeties.
                        Of course we all see , Sainristil, Melton et al.

BTW these WRs are making me dizzy,
                        rounds 1 thru 7.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

How does a player use finesse when getting tackled? Does he shout out to the tackler, "Easy now! Lay me down gently!"
                          Haha okay I'll try to word it better:
                          he has to know how to avoid punishment like the way LT was masterful at.
                          Brock's YAC looks llike 3-6 aborigines gang-tackling a literal yack fighting to live.

Go down Brock!
                          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

Working...
                          X