• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Burton
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

It's possible McCarthy is an absolute stud and Payton still has it.

I've seen enough really good prospects go to rosters with really bad talent and lacked the assets to improve the roster around the prospects. Fields, D'Arnold, Young are fairly recent examples. Not having the roster support can cripple good prospects and trading future high firsts can have organizations digging out of the problems for years. Messing this up could lead to Denver having to trade Surtain because he's going to be expensive and the timelines don't matchup like what we saw with Carolina and Burns or the Jets and Jamal Adams. I'm not saying this is a sure thing, but I think it's more likely than McCarthy being a top 8 QB in the NFL.
    I just think the PR would look so bad for Harbaugh and charger fans.
    Admittedly, CAR is totally F’d. And they did all of this to get Bryce Young and it’s gone sideways cause they traded away the farm and now CHI is making out like a bandit.

Comment

• Eurobolt
      *** Jim Harbaugh ***
      • Sep 2018
      • Send PM

I am excited about this year's draft the longer I read about prospects I am starting to thinknit maybbe the strongest class in years (excluding QBs and some other positions) but top talent (and depth) in WR, OL etc. It may be worth to trade next year picks to get more this year.

Comment

• Chargers8491
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I appreciate your response; and I think most of those guys fit what we're trying to do @the RT position. I will add that none of them are as physical in the run game as Fuaga. I like Mims a lot... I don't think he lasts until the #23 or #27 spot. I like Mims better than JC Latham (whom the Chargers spent time with @his Pro Day). If not for possible durability issues, Mims would be a Top-10 prospect IMO.

I think the bigger issue is the numerous holes on defense. @#23 spot, I see LB, DT, or CB as the target. That's where you start seeing value @defense. I think your list of guys (Cooper, McKinstry, DeJean) fit @#23. DT's Newton and Murphy fit here as well.

Personally, I'd wait for the #37 pick to address the DT position. That position is very good into the 3rd round IMO. I like Jenkins, Orhorohor, or Taylor @#37. DT's Fiske and McKinnley might be there @#69... but a big risk to wait that long. I feel Hortiz is looking for his next Madubuike in this draft.

With LB and DT taken care of with the #23 and #37 picks... the Chargers can get the best available CB @#69. I used to be a proponent of CB in the 1st round (way back when we were @middle 1st projection... before Minter @DC). With Minter @DC, I think we're looking for a zone coverage CB w/solid tackling skills. Obviously, Mike Sainsristil fits the defense. @#69, there are some other CB's I like, too.

The trade back to #11 and #23 just makes too much sense. @#11, the player that makes most sense to me is RT Fuaga. I would be happy with TE Bowers @#11, too. But I think Fuaga fits the "Run the ball better and protect the QB" philosophy best.

Unlike many here, I do not fear we need "elite playmakers". I believe an effective run game will lead to play-action opportunities for Herbert, JP, QJ, and the TE's. Herbert's best year was 2021 (when we actually ran the ball effectively @4.3 ypc). Plus, I like many of the WR's projected to go in the 4th round of this year's draft. I also like the TE's in the 4th and 5th rounds. I'm looking for Dalton Shultz, Isaiah Likely, and Jake Ferguson type players... guys that don't cost high draft picks but are very effective when used correctly within the correct system.
        I added defense players in the cluster because honestly, I don't know how this draft will fall out. I also have no idea how the Chargers have the RTs ranked. I do know the ones listed will be really good at run blocking. Which one is better and a better fit for the Chargers I'm not sure.

I really do think that the Chargers need come out of this draft with 2 CBs so they could take anyone of the ones I mentioned @ #23 or #27 and still take Sainristil @ #69 or they could take Green And Sainristil if they don't take one at #23 or #27. Lots of options.

I agree and I to don't fear on missing out on "elite playmakers", I just believe Bowers is a good fit in Harbaughs TE heavy offense. Not going to lose sleep if he is not the pick.
        1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
        2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
        2b- #37 Jenkins DT
        3a- #66 Puni OT
        3b- #69 Sainristill CB
        4a- #105 Rice WR
        4b- #110 Lloyd RB
        5- #140 Green CB
        6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• eaterfan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I just think the PR would look so bad for Harbaugh and charger fans.
          Admittedly, CAR is totally F’d. And they did all of this to get Bryce Young and it’s gone sideways cause they traded away the farm and now CHI is making out like a bandit.
          It's possible. But it's also possible Harbaugh looks like a genius. If McCarthy and Denver are a disaster:

1. Harbaugh hypes of J.J. McCarthy and gets Denver to overpay in a trade back and cripples the Broncos for several seasons (he's a tactical genius in team building)
          2. Harbaugh gets tons of credit for making McCarthy look really good in college (he's a tactical genius on the field by scheming up decent QB prospects to a 29-1 record)

Seems like great PR for him.

As you point out, if JJ is the next Stroud and turns around a pretty bad looking roster in one season the trade doesn't look as good.

1. Harbaugh trades good prospect to Payton. Obviously, this was going to go well. (He's an idiot because he should have known JJ was awesome)

I think that's how it goes. If those extra picks the Chargers get hit (even if they are late 1sts) this roster can compete with Denver. I'll take Herbert of McCarthy any day of the week.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

NFL Fans Are Floored By Malik Nabers' Stunning Pro Day Performance

Ohio State star wide receiver Marvin Harrison Jr., a consensus top-five pick in next month's NFL Draft, did not participate in the Buckeyes' pro day on Wednesday. This is the second time in the pre-draft season that Harrison has decided not to work out.​
            Who is your #1 WR?

Nabers steps up to compete. MHJ is hiding something.

I'm going with Nabers.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We need at least 3 WRs. Right now the room is Palmer and QJ. DD has not been a true WR option and Fehoko is a practice squad guy. Whether draft, FA whatever they need to build that room
              I expect 1 draft, 1 FA vet reclamation "Joe" deal after the draft, and 2 to 4 UDFAs to compete of which one may or may not beat out current PS scrubs

The notion we'd draft 3 WRs is just whack imo. I can't fathom such a singular investment. but hey - what do I know, just my guess like the rest.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Jack Burton
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

It's possible. But it's also possible Harbaugh looks like a genius. If McCarthy and Denver are a disaster:

1. Harbaugh hypes of J.J. McCarthy and gets Denver to overpay in a trade back and cripples the Broncos for several seasons (he's a tactical genius in team building)
                2. Harbaugh gets tons of credit for making McCarthy look really good in college (he's a tactical genius on the field by scheming up decent QB prospects to a 29-1 record)

Seems like great PR for him.

As you point out, if JJ is the next Stroud and turns around a pretty bad looking roster in one season the trade doesn't look as good.

1. Harbaugh trades good prospect to Payton. Obviously, this was going to go well. (He's an idiot because he should have known JJ was awesome)

I think that's how it goes. If those extra picks the Chargers get hit (even if they are late 1sts) this roster can compete with Denver. I'll take Herbert of McCarthy any day of the week.

Again, I just do not see the Chargers putting that kind of pressure onto their new HC right away.
                If you are wrong and Payton takes McCarthy and makes him into a top 8 QB, this franchise, it’s new HC and it’s fan base are never going to hear the end of it.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Big12 ProDay today.
                  Blake Watson late round Memphis COP RB is showing unexpected athleticism.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

I believe Herbert threw to Keenan a lot because he knew exactly where Keenan was going, what he was doing.

Alex Erickson can give us a bit of the same.

Fehoko, with his size and speed can block, can fill a role.

What we lack is a true WR#1.

Will it be WR by committee lol ?
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I appreciate your response; and I think most of those guys fit what we're trying to do @the RT position. I will add that none of them are as physical in the run game as Fuaga. I like Mims a lot... I don't think he lasts until the #23 or #27 spot. I like Mims better than JC Latham (whom the Chargers spent time with @his Pro Day). If not for possible durability issues, Mims would be a Top-10 prospect IMO.

I think the bigger issue is the numerous holes on defense. @#23 spot, I see LB, DT, or CB as the target. That's where you start seeing value @defense. I think your list of guys (Cooper, McKinstry, DeJean) fit @#23. DT's Newton and Murphy fit here as well.

Personally, I'd wait for the #37 pick to address the DT position. That position is very good into the 3rd round IMO. I like Jenkins, Orhorohor, or Taylor @#37. DT's Fiske and McKinnley might be there @#69... but a big risk to wait that long. I feel Hortiz is looking for his next Madubuike in this draft.

With LB and DT taken care of with the #23 and #37 picks... the Chargers can get the best available CB @#69. I used to be a proponent of CB in the 1st round (way back when we were @middle 1st projection... before Minter @DC). With Minter @DC, I think we're looking for a zone coverage CB w/solid tackling skills. Obviously, Mike Sainsristil fits the defense. @#69, there are some other CB's I like, too.

The trade back to #11 and #23 just makes too much sense. @#11, the player that makes most sense to me is RT Fuaga. I would be happy with TE Bowers @#11, too. But I think Fuaga fits the "Run the ball better and protect the QB" philosophy best.

Unlike many here, I do not fear we need "elite playmakers". I believe an effective run game will lead to play-action opportunities for Herbert, JP, QJ, and the TE's. Herbert's best year was 2021 (when we actually ran the ball effectively @4.3 ypc). Plus, I like many of the WR's projected to go in the 4th round of this year's draft. I also like the TE's in the 4th and 5th rounds. I'm looking for Dalton Shultz, Isaiah Likely, and Jake Ferguson type players... guys that don't cost high draft picks but are very effective when used correctly within the correct system.
                      The majority of SB winners have an "elite playmaker" beyond QB in the offensive "skill" positions. WR, TE, RB or a combination thereof.
                      Ideally we want to be "very good" or better at all 11. Plus depth. IMO we're close.
                      Obviously, I like our OL better than most but would take a RT prospect to develop in the 100's. Make sure Pip is giving his best effort in training and practice.
                      Currently Herbert is the only potentially "elite" "skill" player on O. I'd like to see him with a buddy. Keenan and Mike (arguably "elite") helped Herbert in the past. Not this year.

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

After several years of coaching up, Pip has finally risen to the level of average backup who still gets eaten alive by a lot of edge rushers...
                        Exactly. He is what he is... a guy that can't handle good pass rushers without TE help. And I'm not talking about a simple chip from the TE. That's what he got in Week 4 v. Mad Maxx... and still got eaten alive. He doesn't/can't get to the 2nd level in the run game... balance, foot speed, and strength are all issues. Fuaga type skills are needed @RT. An extra 1st round pick @#23 or @#27 help you build the defense.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Wow, so to add these to rounds 5-7, we end up with a TOTAL of 11 picks! Sweet!:

image.png
                          If we can get AZ #71 instead of 90 then id love that. Having two thirds would be great. Even at 90 id like if we cant get 71. I dont think its all gonna go down like that though. There have been trades in round one but not crazy like that. AZ isnt that saavy or they wouldnt be the Cardinals.

Comment

Working...
                          X