• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

That is very likely true- but doesn't fully inform a decision. the reason MH2 "may" be closer to other WRs is not because he is not elite, but because there are a few that are elite and then many that look very good.

I think Alt's separation from a few other OTs is less than most believe when projecting to RT. I disagree with that draft profile "weakness" report - I see his ability to slide and pick up speed rushers as his biggest strength, better than other OTs in this draft. If we needed a LT, I think he shines with his length and control of speed rushers, he's the guy. And if we needed LT, he's hands down the pick without question.

I see his pass pro weakness is against strong power rushers where his length becomes a disadvantage when he tries to anchor. NFL coaching could fix that, technique could improve that significantly. His rush blocking is generally effective but never overpowering. at RT, I'd like to see more of a rush block mauler who can also handle most pass rushers, but maybe thats the wrong way to think about it. maybe they value the speed pass pro more, and value the LT insurance he offers - both for injury now and for future Slater contract concerns.

Lots of guesses on what the "Harbaugh OT" is - the LOS mauler, the protector, etc - we'll perhaps find out in a couple weeks and everyone can stop guessing.
    That is a good post.

All we hear about the Chargers this off season is about PHYSICALITY and RUN GAME. I agree Alt is the best left tackle prospect and a good overall tackle prospect who deserves the #1 tackle ranking, BUT if the Chargers are really focused on a dominant run game and playing power football then you can see them liking the 2 natural right tackles who are the nastiest, most physical and powerful run blockers in Latham and Fuaga....which from all accounts and work outs they do. if they pull off the trade down i assume it is for one f these two guys.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

That is a good post.

All we hear about the Chargers this off season is about PHYSICALITY and RUN GAME. I agree Alt is the best left tackle prospect and a good overall tackle prospect who deserves the #1 tackle ranking, BUT if the Chargers are really focused on a dominant run game and playing power football then you can see them liking the 2 natural right tackles who are the nastiest, most physical and powerful run blockers in Latham and Fuaga....which from all accounts and work outs they do. if they pull off the trade down i assume it is for one f these two guys.
      I listened to Allbrights mock draft of picks 1-12 -- I kind of just listened for Chargers stuff. He has the Vikings trading up with the Cardinals at 4; Cardinals would be at 11 but BA thinks the Cardinals would move back to 5 with the Chargers as he is hearing the Chargers want to move back

That said - he has the Cardinals taking Marvin; Nabers to NYG; Alt to TIn, Atlanta takes Turner (or Verse), Bears get Odunze, Bowers to the Jets (this just seems like a no brainer) and the Chargers he had Latham or the Penn State OT Fashanu.

I wonder if its better to go Thomas WR at 11 and than get OT later in first round if the Chargers do trade back. If you include these two OT plus Mims and Fuaga - thats four pretty stout OL. Maybe another trade back from 11 to 14 - Saints are always looking to move up and they overpay

Comment

• Lone Bolt
        Oline-Tip of the Spear...
        • Feb 2019
        • McLean Illinois
        • Pipefitter Illinois State University
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I think there's a possibility that Fuaga is that guy.
        Thats what I wonder...I "think" Jim and company want a bully on that right side...but maybe I think too much...still, just trying to prepare folks...if anybody is gonna buck convention, its Jim Harbaugh...

I honestly would love one of the WRs, Bowers, or a RT...or a trade back. No angst about day one here...just excitement and curiosity...but the devil in me likes to debate...especially against fans who deal in absolutes...
        Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
          MH2 if available. If not, Nabers. Don't overthink this. There are about 11 OTs that are or would be 1st round picks in other drafts. One of them
          will be there @37. This may be different if we needed a LT, we don't.
          Also a good post. I agree.

We don't need a franchise left tackle, we have one. Those are the guys you use top 5 draft picks on. If you can't trade down and pick at 5, how do you pass on elite WR studs with this WR roster, the next Chase or Fitzgerald??

At 37 you can likely still get a Jordan Morgan or a Kinglsey Suamataia. Maybe even a Tyler Guyton though that might be wishful thinking.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
            Oline-Tip of the Spear...
            • Feb 2019
            • McLean Illinois
            • Pipefitter Illinois State University
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
            MH2 if available. If not, Nabers. Don't overthink this. There are about 11 OTs that are or would be 1st round picks in other drafts. One of them
            will be there @37. This may be different if we needed a LT, we don't.
            11? Uh...no. Alt, Fuaga, Olu, Fautanu, Latham, Mims, Guyton...and in most years, defense would be better at Edge and DT, and Mims and Guyton would be pushed out to early second...one "might" slip to second...but doubt 37.

IMO, any tackles after that would struggle to improve upon Pip. Suamataia maybe...but not by much...and thats being generous. Has size and tools, but makes mistakes...if we dont like Pip, dont dick around...improve the position!
            Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

That is very likely true- but doesn't fully inform a decision. the reason MH2 "may" be closer to other WRs is not because he is not elite, but because there are a few that are elite and then many that look very good.

I think Alt's separation from a few other OTs is less than most believe when projecting to RT. I disagree with that draft profile "weakness" report - I see his ability to slide and pick up speed rushers as his biggest strength, better than other OTs in this draft. If we needed a LT, I think he shines with his length and control of speed rushers, he's the guy. And if we needed LT, he's hands down the pick without question.

I see his pass pro weakness is against strong power rushers where his length becomes a disadvantage when he tries to anchor. NFL coaching could fix that, technique could improve that significantly. His rush blocking is generally effective but never overpowering. at RT, I'd like to see more of a rush block mauler who can also handle most pass rushers, but maybe thats the wrong way to think about it. maybe they value the speed pass pro more, and value the LT insurance he offers - both for injury now and for future Slater contract concerns.

Lots of guesses on what the "Harbaugh OT" is - the LOS mauler, the protector, etc - we'll perhaps find out in a couple weeks and everyone can stop guessing.
              We see Alt very similar and yes I agree, my framing of "best in their class" is far from complete, just trying out different vantage points.
              What I like about Alt is more the idea of having 2 super rare OLT talents in a league where most teams don't have 1.
              Sure it's an expensive price for some depth but with many teams, if their LT goes down, they're done, like fried chicken.
              and I see a lot of frame that hasn't been maxed out yet, my vision is a beefed up ORT that looks more like Sewell and less like McGlinchy.
              wts, some negatives. He is a tackle only, so there's no world where I see him filling in at Guard if needed. Fine, no biggie.
              If he doesn't gain weight/muscle, I expect elite edge guys being able to use his length against him.
              at least King Dunlop had tremendous low center of gravity and was able to use his length effectively.

I personally prefer shorter OTs that can fill in at guard in an emergency.

Edit: I really think JC Latham is Jim's favorite ORT.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                What about the idea of going Brock Bowers/Malachi Corley 1/2 ?

Get the ball out quickly to the YAC Monsters ?
                How about we stay at Georgia and go
                Brock Bowers
                Ladd McConkey
                Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

We see Alt very similar and yes I agree, my framing of "best in their class" is far from complete, just trying out different vantage points.
                  What I like about Alt is more the idea of having 2 super rare OLT talents in a league where most teams don't have 1.
                  Sure it's an expensive price for some depth but with many teams, if their LT goes down, they're done, like fried chicken.
                  and I see a lot of frame that hasn't been maxed out yet, my vision is a beefed up ORT that looks more like Sewell and less like McGlinchy.
                  wts, some negatives. He is a tackle only, so there's no world where I see him filling in at Guard if needed. Fine, no biggie.
                  If he doesn't gain weight/muscle, I expect elite edge guys being able to use his length against him.
                  at least King Dunlop had tremendous low center of gravity and was able to use his length effectively.

I personally prefer shorter OTs that can fill in at guard in an emergency.

Edit: I really think JC Latham is Jim's favorite ORT.
                  We lost our LT in '22 and Salyer shocked everyone with how well he played LT. We don't need to use 5 for LT depth.

Comment

• SAY OW 55
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2023
                    • Send PM

I feel good seeing that video. Dude looks excited. And I hope he’s a Charger.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

If the pick is 5 - this is the correct answer - -take Nabers or MH2. No brainer

If the pick is lower - that could change who they take

three weeks to go
                      I would agree with this. If I am picking at 5, I want an instant, impact player in an area of need that contributes immediately and the receivers would be it. Odunze is high up on a lot of boards as well so I could even live with him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

If we stay at 5....i still dont mind Bowers there but if not, then it has to be MHJ, Nabers.....or Odunze as i really like him too.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I listened to Allbrights mock draft of picks 1-12 -- I kind of just listened for Chargers stuff. He has the Vikings trading up with the Cardinals at 4; Cardinals would be at 11 but BA thinks the Cardinals would move back to 5 with the Chargers as he is hearing the Chargers want to move back

That said - he has the Cardinals taking Marvin; Nabers to NYG; Alt to TIn, Atlanta takes Turner (or Verse), Bears get Odunze, Bowers to the Jets (this just seems like a no brainer) and the Chargers he had Latham or the Penn State OT Fashanu.

I wonder if its better to go Thomas WR at 11 and than get OT later in first round if the Chargers do trade back. If you include these two OT plus Mims and Fuaga - thats four pretty stout OL. Maybe another trade back from 11 to 14 - Saints are always looking to move up and they overpay
                          I think the only real debate at 5 is whether to take Harrison or Bowers who are the 2 best players in this draft and both are generational......Bowers might be best TE in history.....

All 3 of those WR's, would definitely improve our passing game but not as much as Bowers, who is the purest definition of a Harbaugh type of tough nasty offensive playmaker!.... and Chargers have not had a great TE in many years.....Harbaugh tried really hard to get him to come to Michigan....

Chargers will be playing with 2 TE's and one WR most of the time...and sometimes 2 WR..... making Bowers the perfect fit.....tough, fast, clutch, and run and catch and block....Bowers would instantly be our best receiver..... and can play inline, out wide or in backfield..... most complete playmaker in draft.....

Only issue is we may have to take him at 5 because Jets will take him at 10 and KC might jump ahead of them to steal him because Reid knows the value and impact of having a great TE who cannot be covered when it counts....

We can draft a RT in 2nd round...... or if we trade down with MIN for 11 and 23..... sadly if we trade down, we miss out on Bowers and the top 3 WR's...... but maybe we get a great OT and CB....? then WR in round 2...RB in round 3.....

Comment

Working...
                          X