• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

They didn't stay away from Kool-Aid. Quite the opposite. Alabama choose to play zone. That left Nabors free to roam around in the slot where he burned the Tide for about 170 yards. There was a handful of plays where he was one on one with Arnold. Arnold did a good job but Nabors still managed to catch a 17 yarder and a much longer outside route where Arnold had him well covered but Nabors made the catch. Alabama choose to go zone because of LSU's QB and Thomas the other 1st round receiver.

The only down side I see to Nabors versus MH2 is that Nabors is an explosive guy. If he ends up with a leg injury that impacts his explosiveness he loses
    much of his impact. MH2 by comparison is a bigger guy, not as athletic as Nabors but runs the entire route tree and can burn you deep or make contested
    catches. They are two very different receivers. Hard to say which one will have the biggest impact in the NFL.
    Partly true. Partly false. It has to do with the way Saban used his defense.
    He doesn't switch CB's. He leaves Kool-Aid on the right side... playing man on whoever shows up... #1 WR, #2 WR, or #3 WR.
    That lets Saban play zone on the left side. It also allows him to slide a safety over to the left... knowing that Kool-Aide will be fine on his own.
    Sliding that safety left makes that zone hard to beat and condenses throwing lanes. Alabama did that against LSU. They did that against Georgia. They did that against Michigan. None of those 3 coaches went Kool-Aid's way. Often, they put their #3 WR v Kool-Aid and tested the condensed left side zone.

Nabers had some success v Terrion. But most of Nabers' big plays came in the slot v a safety.
    Go watch several of Alabama's 2023 full games. You'll see what I'm talking about. Alabama played pattern match in the secondary.
    Kool-Aid is mostly in man coverage. Terrion mostly in zone. The one time you'll see Kool-Aid get beat (v Thomas) he sells to the outside... Thomas gets his hips turned and breaks inside. But further analysis also finds that the OLB drops into the vacant area, tips the pass to an open Thomas... and Terrion gets the tipped pass for an interception.

Scouts are overlooking Kool-Aid's playmaking ability and his superior inside/outside technique because he wasn't tested much in 2023. But the tape shows his speed, quickness, and technique. His reported 40-yard dash was 4.47. But some scouts had him as 4.43... on a broken pinky toe. Remember all of the 4.5+ talk about a month ago...? Throw that in the trashbin where it belongs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post
      Matt Money Smith pointed out today on the Chargers Podcast Network that after coaching Stanford for 4 years, then taking the SF job, Harbaugh never drafted a single player from Stanford…
      True, he didnt but Baalke had the reigns there. Im sure Jim will have more input...and Hortiz says he will since he knows the college kids he has played against or recruited.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
        There's chatter the Raiders are being really aggressive in trying to move up to #2 or #3 to take Daniels. I hope the Raiders make that trade and waste their draft picks moving up to take Daniels. Daniel's frame scares me. I'm not sure how he is going to hold up at the pro level.
        Looks like Washington is taking Daniels.

Comment

• Chargers8491
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
          Looks like Washington is taking Daniels.

Nice find. Drake Maye killed it at his pro day. Pretty sure New England will take him and not trade out.
          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
          3a- #66 Puni OT
          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
          4a- #105 Rice WR
          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
          5- #140 Green CB
          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I don't agree that Jim Harbaugh loves elite TE's.
            He had Ertz @Stanford. Yet, Ertz never caught 30+ receptions for Jim.
            Jim had Vernon Davis @49ers... but Vernon was already there. Vernon's stats went down.
            It is notable, that Harbaugh drafted TE Vance McDonald over Kelce in 2013.
            Not sure if that was Harbaugh's doing or the GM's.
            If it was Harbaugh's... maybe Jim should stay away from TE evaluations...

People note that Harbaugh tried to recruit Bowers @Michigan.
            But notable is Bowers' choice to choose Georgia over Michigan.

@Michigan, Harbaugh's TE never had 40+ receptions during the regular season.
            Maybe Bowers suspected that would be the case...?
            Only his last year there they were down..and they werent that great from there on. Maybe it was him into his 30's?

And i dont care where Bowers chose. Maybe he dont like snow? I know i dont like snow. It dont snow in LA. He wont have a choice where he gets drafted. Even if i played ina dome like Minnesota i t wouldnt want to go there. Your everday life is in the snow....just going to the store, getting gas, driving on ice roads.....fuck that! I went to Iowa one winter to work at a Google they were building and right around a month i asked them to lay me off lol.

And come on Nutty....lets get it right if you are going to spit out stats. Loveland had 45 receptions last season. I know you want a RT but argue with facts, not dumb them down and hope nobody notices And thats just him from just last season.. I havent looked at any other of his TEs at Michigan.

EDIT...Jake Butt had 51 receptions in 2015 @ Michigan as a JR and in 2016 has 46. I think its just safe t say they havent had great TEs at Michigan while JH was the coach. Schoonmaker isnt doing much in the NFL, and Butt did next to nothing and out of the league. JH never had a TE like Bowers.
            Last edited by Boltjolt; 03-28-2024, 03:36 PM.

Comment

• HB Chargers
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2023
              • Send PM

I'd like to propose a fun thought exercise. Your favorite draft-eligible players at every position (not best). The player, regardless of ranking, where you just like their game and/or think they would be a good fit on the Chargers with JH. AS you'll see below, I picked late round guys for existing positions of strength (i.e. QB).

QB: Michael Pratt - seems like he has valuable back-up traits for the NFL and could help keep things afloat given an injury to your starter.
              RB: Will Shipley - There are several good RBs in the 3-4 round range, but I really like his mix of speed, running ability and catching ability. A nice balance to what Edwards brings.
              WR: Roman Wilson - Route running seems to win over physical traits in the NFL (see Allen, Kennan, Nacua, Puka) and the kid can get open.
              TE: Cade Stover: He just seems like a JH tight end. The type that can positively impact the game in both the run and passing games.
              OT: Taliese Fuaga - Would love to have a true RT like Fuaga that can move people in the run game and hold up in pass pro.
              OG: Zack Zinter - Feels like a good fit to follow JH. Already played in a pro-style run-oriented offense and has the physical tools to succeed in the NFL.
              C: JPJ - I just think he is a complete C prospect that can do it all. The kid from WV has a lot of quality traits as well.
              DE/Edge: Darius Robinson - Can play end on run downs and move inside on passing downs. Would bring some size outside we are lacking on early downs.
              DT: Byron Murphy - Feel like he could be special on the interior. Posted good numbers at Texas despite not playing a 3-technique going after the QB. I like Kris Jenkins as well. Good all around game.
              LB: Payton Wilson - One of my favorite players in the draft. Great combo of athleticism and production
              CB: Quinyon Mitchell if we end up at 11. Ennis Rakestraw I like as well in Rd 2. Physical outside corner.
              S: Tyler Nubin - I really want a true centerfielder out there to take away deep shots and make plays on the ball

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Penix had a great pro day also.

Ran 4.5, great for a QB and showed off his big arm all over.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

Just to point out:

- Kelce fell in the draft due to character concerns - multiple drug test failures, a full season suspension with the Bearcats, and was deemed not very coachable. Even he admitted having some “bad interviews” with several teams.

- It doesn’t sound like Harbaugh had much input on personnel decisions when he was in SF. Supposedly that was one of major contentions he had with Trent Baalke.

According to this SI article quoting Tim Kawakami:

“Harbaugh has always had to cede control of personnel to Baalke, and after two sub-par drafts in a row (San Francisco's 2012 draft hasn't produced a single functional starter, and 2013 brought only safety Eric Reid), one wonders if Harbaugh is a bit agitated at the lack of new talent coming in the room.“

https://www.si.com/nfl/2014/02/24/ji...rancisco-49ers
                  Yeah, I'm well-aware of the Harbaugh/Baalke rift and Kelce's pre-draft problems. I haven't heard anything specific about the MCDonald/Kelce decision. I do remember Harbaugh being miffed about the character/off field issues of his 49er squad. So I doubt Harbaugh was banging the table for Kelce.

In the end... I was addressing the "Harbaugh needs an elite TE" narrative. If anything, Hargaugh under-utilizes the TE's he has. Statistics bare this out. Professional scouts/GM's don't get them all right. Ravens picked Hurst in the 1st and Andrews in the 3rd (in the same draft). Hortiz seems determined to give Hurst another chance. IMO, we're not desperate for a TE in the 1st round anymore. I suspect a mid/late round pick to develop. Are they as talented as Bowers...? Nope. But are there Likely/Ferguson/Shultz type players in the 4th round...? I think so.

In the end, you have to ask yourself, "How do we run the ball better and protect the franchise QB better"...? If you feel that a WR or TE does that better than the best run blocking RT in college football (Fuaga)... then so be it. If you believe that a WR or TE @#5 is better than Fuaga @#11 and an elite LB @#23... then so be it.

I happen to believe that a RT, LB, DT, and CB are the way to go this draft. There is a golden opportunity to get starting quality players this draft @those positions. But you have to give up that WR/TE dream, trade-back into a spot that appears to be tailor-made with the recent Minnesota moves...

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

You'll notice that these particular plays happened in 2022. In 2023, they stayed away from Kool-Aid. One of the receptions (early play) came on 3rd down... the reception didn't pick up the 1st down. On other receptions, you'll see they came against Terrion Arnold (#3).

If you watch the whole game (Ala v LSU) in 2023... you'll see Nabors' big plays came against safety Malachi Moore.
                    I like when receivers are able to attack safeties. Doesn’t that mean it’s a deep ball?
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

I think all you have to do is go watch some MHJ game tape to answer those questions (if they are real questions).
                      He offered to compete @pro day. Teams said, "No we're good."
                      No need for an injury... if you already know he's the #1 guy.
                      The pick @#4 only becomes difficult if he blew out a knee in a meaningless workout.
                      Personally, I’ve never heard of a team saying “No we’re good” when looking at a potential top draft pick. You’re just compounding your risk.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Yeah, I'm well-aware of the Harbaugh/Baalke rift and Kelce's pre-draft problems. I haven't heard anything specific about the MCDonald/Kelce decision. I do remember Harbaugh being miffed about the character/off field issues of his 49er squad. So I doubt Harbaugh was banging the table for Kelce.

In the end... I was addressing the "Harbaugh needs an elite TE" narrative. If anything, Hargaugh under-utilizes the TE's he has. Statistics bare this out. Professional scouts/GM's don't get them all right. Ravens picked Hurst in the 1st and Andrews in the 3rd (in the same draft). Hortiz seems determined to give Hurst another chance. IMO, we're not desperate for a TE in the 1st round anymore. I suspect a mid/late round pick to develop. Are they as talented as Bowers...? Nope. But are there Likely/Ferguson/Shultz type players in the 4th round...? I think so.

In the end, you have to ask yourself, "How do we run the ball better and protect the franchise QB better"...? If you feel that a WR or TE does that better than the best run blocking RT in college football (Fuaga)... then so be it. If you believe that a WR or TE @#5 is better than Fuaga @#11 and an elite LB @#23... then so be it.

I happen to believe that a RT, LB, DT, and CB are the way to go this draft. There is a golden opportunity to get starting quality players this draft @those positions. But you have to give up that WR/TE dream, trade-back into a spot that appears to be tailor-made with the recent Minnesota moves...
                        Because this draft has guys like Rice in later rounds, you are persuasive. But - this draft is deep, period. You can take the shiny WR at 5 and still have 8 picks to hit on those other positions. 😎

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Maybe in 2023 KoolAid stayed away from them? hmmm ...

Malachi Moore is a good player and will be playing on Sundays. He's projected to go between the 2nd (unlikely) and 4th round (highly likely he's picked no later than 4th, many project him to go in the 3rd)

His name is still Nabers, not Nabors. you'll learn it once you buy his LAC jersey in the fall.
                          Kool-Aide doesn't stay away from anybody. He just puts you in his side pocket and keeps you for safe keeping.
                          He'll be wide right every play (@Alabama anyways)... he's easy to find.

Malachi Moore was actually better last year. Not the direction scouts want to see you heading come draft day.
                          Nabers... Nabors... Neighbors... nobody will care once he's on another team. Nobody will care once we're running the ball down the throat of the Chiefs... and hitting Patty upside his inflated head every down.

Comment

Working...
                          X