• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

You can't run the ball when there is 2 minutes left in the game. You have to anticipate the blitz and plan for it. Poor coaching, poor play calling, poor
    pre snap recognition.
    Nothing to do with running the football. Earlier in the game yes we definitely need a running game.

Agreed sustain long drives and running the football helps do that. We are in agreement there.

The Chiefs D can be beat. But you have to have the right ingredients. Difficult to do in 2 minutes but it can be done. Both the Eagles and 49ers had
    the right ingredients but they failed due to mistakes. Same thing with the Ravens. There are a tough bunch to beat, but they also have had some
    good luck in big games.

Late in the game defenses tire. We seen this over and over again. You're not going to stop Mahomes late in the 4th quarter. You either built up
    a big enough lead, or run out the clock with long drives as mentioned.
    I would never suggest running the ball with 2 minutes left. Better coaching/play-calling/recognition has hopefully been fixed.
    I think we have the personnel to address this situation. QJ and DD split out should keep safeties deep. Hurst and JP do work underneath with the defense stretched deep. Gus the Bus picks up the blitz.

If you have grabbed a better RT in the draft, the ever-seeping right side should hold up... no extra help needed. More players in the pattern.
    If you haven't picked up a better RT in the draft... good luck. The fastest, best route runner will not have time... he'll run 40 yards in 4.28 seconds... and your QB will be crushed in 2.5 seconds. It's like replacing the fenders on a car that has a blown head gasket.

It's one thing to talk about having a good running game earlier in the game... it's quite another to invest in the personnel to make it happen.
    Nothing tires out a defense like long sustained drives early in a game. Again, you have to have the personnel to make it happen. Go get a RT in the 1st round... get your gazelles later.

We are sooooooo close in agreement. I can see you get it.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I read Bob McGinn's reports on the Go Long website. He quotes anonymous scouts' thoughts on the prospects. He had an article on the top 55 offensive prospects in this draft. Jackson Powers Johnson was not one of the 55.
      Did any of the centers make the list...? IMO, none of the centers are 1st rounders. I have them very closely ranked (JPJ, Frazier, SVP)... all near the mid/late 2nd round.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        Yeah do everything all at once.
        AK 47 's got it...we need 16 picks, all blue chippers.

I want DBs who can do things from time to time, especially tackle.
        One player I like is a Drunk Kollman special.
        Give me Dadrion.
        But only after the bulldozers.
        Bulldozers first... yes.
        Then give me a LB, DT, and CB... right in a nice little tidy row.
        Minter didn't come all the way from Ann Arbor to soak up the sun.
        Give my DC something more than chopped liver.
        We didn't keep Bosa and Mack so that a weak LB squad, or weak CB room can let them down.
        How much better could Bosa/Mack be if they had DT's that could push the pocket...?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Did any of the centers make the list...? IMO, none of the centers are 1st rounders. I have them very closely ranked (JPJ, Frazier, SVP)... all near the mid/late 2nd round.
          Johnson, Frazier, and Van Pran did not. Graham Barton and Tanor Bartolini made the list. They were listed as C-G.

Graham Barton, C-G, Duke (6-5, 313): Started five games at center in 2020 when two teammates were injured before starting at LT from 2021-’23. “I don’t think he’ll be a Pro Bowl left tackle but he can play there,” one scout said. “He can be a Pro Bowl center because of his intelligence and athletic ability. You’re getting a really good Swiss Army knife player. He’s a can’t-miss kid. His handicap is lack of length (arms were 32 7/8). He is really athletic. I don’t think he’s going to improve dramatically. That’s not a knock on him. He’s heady. He’s ready to go right now. He’s a lot like some of these linemen from Iowa that come out and are ready to go.” Didn’t run or jump at the combine. Hands were 9 3/8. “He’s got to be a center,” a second scout said. “I give him his due for being a left tackle. He’s got all the technique and all the effort but he is weak and he’s always on the ground. They either wreck him and throw him down, or he just gets stood up. But he fights, he works, he’s got enough athletic ability. No chance at tackle. For guard, I don’t think he’s strong enough. He’s got that classic center profile.”

Tanor Bortolini, C-G, Wisconsin (6-4, 303): Worked out as well if not better than any offensive lineman in Indianapolis. His 40 of 4.94 tied for second best whereas his times in the two agility runs (4.28 short shuttle, 7.16 3-cone) were first. “Really good athlete,” one scout said. “Not real physical. Strength is just OK. He can hold up. He’s got some anchor. He’s just very, very smooth. He’s really good as a zone-type blocker. Second-level, downfield. Real good technician. I’ve got him in the second round.” Started 27 of 35 games, including 13 at center, 13 at guard and one at tight end. “I’m not sure he isn’t better than (Oregon’s Jackson) Powers-Johnson,” said a second scout. “But he’s got (short) arms. I think he’s probably a center only. He can probably be a pretty good center. Third round.” Arms were just 31 ½, hands were 10.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Oh good fucking grief.
            Yeah sure.
            Defensive coordinators across the league are taking notes.
            You go ahead and take some notes too, I know they call you often asking for your genius advice.

Because BAL didn’t have a good OL. And SF didn’t have a good OL either. Neither of them could run the ball for shit. Wait, whats this - Ravens were #1 rush team and SF was #3 in 2023?

Yeah, super genius plan, you’ve found the golden ticket - we just need to rush better, thats it, thats the only thing. never mind that bottom-tier defense, defense doesn’t matter against the Chiefs.

you’re way ahead of the game once again. Bravo.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Rumor is that Arizona needs and will go for a WR. Here's where it gets tricky. If they are intent on MH2 then stay put and then it's up
              to us to decide on a trade down or take the next best receiver or OT. However if Arizona deems that the next two WRs will suffice then a
              trade down with the Giants is possible. The Giants get a QB they want, Arizona takes the chance the Chargers trade down and they
              get MH2 or they get Nabers, Odunze. The cost to the Giants is minimized. If Arizona is open to that trade that's what the Giants
              should do.

If the rumors are not true then Arizona is the prime candidate to trade with Minnesota.
              Minnesota can offer Arizona Justin Jefferson and a switch of 1rsts .... Arizona has the cap space to sign Jefferson to a new contract.

That would work for Minnesota ... they still have Addison & can get a receiver if need be in this draft who can grow with McCarthy.
              That would work for Arizona .... who needs to win now and can start adding to a depleted D with a high pick.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Hasn't worked-won't work.
                Which is why I am calling for rebuilding the right side of our offensive line...
                with attitude.
                The Bengals always give Mahomes grief .... and they do it with average cbs.

What do they do right on defense?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

The Giants are an interesting team in this draft, they need a QB too and at 6 they are probably in the best position to move up, especially if one of those top teams doesn't want to go too far back...
                  Daboll just said the Giants are all - in on Daniel Jones next season.

So yeah, they want to move up.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I would never suggest running the ball with 2 minutes left. Better coaching/play-calling/recognition has hopefully been fixed.
                    I think we have the personnel to address this situation. QJ and DD split out should keep safeties deep. Hurst and JP do work underneath with the defense stretched deep. Gus the Bus picks up the blitz.

If you have grabbed a better RT in the draft, the ever-seeping right side should hold up... no extra help needed. More players in the pattern.
                    If you haven't picked up a better RT in the draft... good luck. The fastest, best route runner will not have time... he'll run 40 yards in 4.28 seconds... and your QB will be crushed in 2.5 seconds. It's like replacing the fenders on a car that has a blown head gasket.

It's one thing to talk about having a good running game earlier in the game... it's quite another to invest in the personnel to make it happen.
                    Nothing tires out a defense like long sustained drives early in a game. Again, you have to have the personnel to make it happen. Go get a RT in the 1st round... get your gazelles later.

Fenders? Head gaskets? you don’t need a WR to run 40 yards for a pass at the end of the game. Why worry if you have enough gas to get to Barstow if you’re only going to Encinitas? (Redlands for those that live in LA )

Most of the end-of-game successful blitzes against LAC last year were between the OGs. I even read one post a couple weeks ago here trying to say it was Trey’s fault that the OGs and OC got blown up inside every game lol.

I expect they draft a RT, I’m not convinced it will be their first pick though. It could be. I still don’t know why nobody is worried about the worse play by BOTH OGs (and OC) still … its almost April, I expected the groupthink blob to slowly roll around to the true facts of the 2023 OL

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The Bengals always give Mahomes grief .... and they do it with average cbs.

What do they do right on defense?
                      Chiefs did not have great WRs last year. TBD what they draft in 2024 if that might change.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Good grief!

Comment

• 21&500
                          Bolt Spit-Baller
                          • Sep 2018
                          • A Whale's Vajayjay
                          • CMB refugee
                          • Send PM

So strange to me how many thoughts Ravens GM EDC is willing to share on audio to the public
                          I figure his 31 other competitors can scrap off an advantage from simply listening.

P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                          P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                          P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                          P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

Working...
                          X