Originally posted by blueman View Post

So draft Nabers and eight OL. 😉
      LOL now we are talking

Comment

• electricgold
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2020
        • Send PM

"We have to protect Herbert".... Are we as fans going to be let down if ultimately Joe & Jim draft Joe Alt with the 5th pick??? They want to pound the rock with Gus and another RB! the writings on the wall!

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
          "We have to protect Herbert".... Are we as fans going to be let down if ultimately Joe & Jim draft Joe Alt with the 5th pick??? They want to pound the rock with Gus and another RB! the writings on the wall!
          If you want to pound the rock then better get help inside. OGs and C is what makes the run game go, not OT. OT most important job is to protects the QB.
          Pipkins has trouble with elite pass rushers. Guess what so do 80% of other RT in the NFL.

I think if we trade down Alt makes sense. But if we stay at #5 and MH2 or Nabors are there stay put and get the next #1 receiver for Herbert.
          For the trade down scenario it's up to the coaches to either take an OT or Bowers at TE if both are available. Who knows we may even go
          for edge and start building up the D. Less likely since it looks like Mack is staying and Bosa is currently still on the roster.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I just want a workout. If he has a hammy im fine with it. But if he doesn't do this workout he may fall. I dont think teams are gonna shy away. Because all he did was get better each year in college. And teams that want him? Have wanted him for 3 years most likely. There are probably GMs who have loved him since he was a Freshman.
            I didn't mean to sound snappy - that wasnt what I was thinking at all. I know that folks who didnt want to draft him would see this as further evidence to not draft him. I just meant to say that some Bowers Fans also might be concerned.

I'm a big Bowers fan - have been all off season (still not sure in the eternal Bowers vs Nabers debate lol). it makes me uneasy to draft a guy with a Top 10 pick that doesn't work out. Any workout is fine, agree. I know his record, his tape, all that - he was special in college from his first year.

but it just still freaks me out lol, I can't help it.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

interesting stat details on Fuaga and Alt, thanks Beach!

i'm a simple guy, but if Fuaga is between #30 and #38 or whatever for NCAA pass pro - is it fair to say that there are not 30 college OTs that become NFL OT starters per draft year. If he needs to move inside to OG because he can't pass pro, that drops him at least 10 more draft slots on my board towards the 20s. Heaven forbid we use a #5 or #8 on a "RT" that can't pass block.

I dont' know those numbers project as linearly as this or anything - just reacting to those numbers alone on paper. May mean nada too.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                If we trade down, we can get an extra pick or picks to build up our line AND address other needs, such as IDL. My revised PON list:

1. IDL
                2a. C
                2b. TE or OG
                3. TE or OG or RT or RB
                4. CB, RT, FS or RB
                5. "
                6. "
                7. LB?

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If we trade down, we can get an extra pick or picks to build up our line AND address other needs, such as IDL. My revised PON list:

1. IDL
                  2a. C
                  2b. TE or OG
                  3. TE or OG or RT
                  4. CB, RT or FS
                  5. "
                  6. "
                  7. LB?
                  The thinnest position on the roster is LB. And you have it in round 7. No sir.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

The thinnest position on the roster is LB. And you have it in round 7. No sir.
                    Henley is basically a rook. Need to sign a FA or two here to get us some vet experience in the scheme Minter runs. Trader Joe is good at finding FA bargains on one-year deals--based on Ravens history.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2023
                      • Send PM

Folks, go look at the current roster.
                      This team needs 2 CB’s, 2 DT’s, 2 LB’s….
                      Thats just defense!!

Harbaugh runs a lot of sets with 6 offensive linemen….
                      Thats why talk of an OT so high is a constant…
                      And why 2 TE’s have been signed….

This offense needs another OT, preferably one that can play RT specifically to go with Pumpkins, another RB, another WR, a pass catching TE who doesn’t have concussion issues and a freaking Center…

7 draft picks just isn’t going to suffice….

Comment

• Fleet 1
                        TPB Founder
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Kauai
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I didn't mean to sound snappy - that wasnt what I was thinking at all. I know that folks who didnt want to draft him would see this as further evidence to not draft him. I just meant to say that some Bowers Fans also might be concerned.

I'm a big Bowers fan - have been all off season (still not sure in the eternal Bowers vs Nabers debate lol). it makes me uneasy to draft a guy with a Top 10 pick that doesn't work out. Any workout is fine, agree. I know his record, his tape, all that - he was special in college from his first year.

but it just still freaks me out lol, I can't help it.
                        Yeah the "Blanket Assumption" thing threw me off. I wondered if you thought i was attacking you via my reposnse to BJ. Thats why i reached out to you privately to make sure you knew i dont always read discussions/debates here. This place is running smooth and heavy. I work the twitter mines for gems. And get them here. So when i do post here its usually just to throw my takes into the TPB machine. Getting it out there. Not too into the debates as i am slammed with life.

But i hear what you are saying. I spend a lot of time defending Bowers because the takes against him are way off. And facts are usually not part of it. Its just that guys want Nabers. I want any of the 3 to be honest. And again i dont view Bowers as a proto TE. He is all 3 TEs. Inline. Hybrid. Flex. He moves around(joker) can line up at FB...no need for a Picard type...and he dominates from all the WR slots because CBs cant cover him. Nor can Safeties and LBs. His YAC ability is better than a lot of WRs in the league. Its certainly head and shoulders above any TE in the league. He is Derrick Henry with the ball in his hands.

I just wish he would stop getting the TE only treatment. And more would see where the league is headed. We go through trends. RBs get phased out. Passing and 11 Personnel all the rage. Then defenses adjust. Now we are back to Run games being key and RBs being all the rage. We go in cycles...yet the one common thread/denominator for success in this league can be viewed through the Chiefs...that is heavy run game and 12 Personnel. Its like they didnt really get coacught up in the trends and just stuck with what is becoming really popular again. Heavy TE usage. Lions...Niners....Chiefs...Ravens. All do this and have been for a while now. Look for the Bills to start moving towards 2TE sets going forward.

You dont draft for the past...you draft forward thinking...knowing the trends. Knowing the cycles. Bowers is the ultimate prize for where i think the league is now. And has been. Even when teams are trying to go massive 3WR sets...the teams running heavy TE are still winning through it all. Starting to see a lot of 12 personnel with condensed splits as well. I bet we see a lot of that. Heavy Texas concepts. Condensed splits. Bunched up near the OL. Heavy packages. This should be more old school football for us. Similar to the LT/Gates years.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Yeah the "Blanket Assumption" thing threw me off. I wondered if you thought i was attacking you via my reposnse to BJ. Thats why i reached out to you privately to make sure you knew i dont always read discussions/debates here. This place is running smooth and heavy. I work the twitter mines for gems. And get them here. So when i do post here its usually just to throw my takes into the TPB machine. Getting it out there. Not too into the debates as i am slammed with life.

But i hear what you are saying. I spend a lot of time defending Bowers because the takes against him are way off. And facts are usually not part of it. Its just that guys want Nabers. I want any of the 3 to be honest. And again i dont view Bowers as a proto TE. He is all 3 TEs. Inline. Hybrid. Flex. He moves around(joker) can line up at FB...no need for a Picard type...and he dominates from all the WR slots because CBs cant cover him. Nor can Safeties and LBs. His YAC ability is better than a lot of WRs in the league. Its certainly head and shoulders above any TE in the league. He is Derrick Henry with the ball in his hands.

I just wish he would stop getting the TE only treatment. And more would see where the league is headed. We go through trends. RBs get phased out. Passing and 11 Personnel all the rage. Then defenses adjust. Now we are back to Run games being key and RBs being all the rage. We go in cycles...yet the one common thread/denominator for success in this league can be viewed through the Chiefs...that is heavy run game and 12 Personnel. Its like they didnt really get coacught up in the trends and just stuck with what is becoming really popular again. Heavy TE usage. Lions...Niners....Chiefs...Ravens. All do this and have been for a while now. Look for the Bills to start moving towards 2TE sets going forward.

You dont draft for the past...you draft forward thinking...knowing the trends. Knowing the cycles. Bowers is the ultimate prize for where i think the league is now. And has been. Even when teams are trying to go massive 3WR sets...the teams running heavy TE are still winning through it all. Starting to see a lot of 12 personnel with condensed splits as well. I bet we see a lot of that. Heavy Texas concepts. Condensed splits. Bunched up near the OL. Heavy packages. This should be more old school football for us. Similar to the LT/Gates years.
                          No, didn't think you were pointing me out at all.

I agree - the future is that dynamic 3-dimensional TEs that can play in-line, slot/spread, and HB/FB. Rare breed that is strong enough for 1 and 3 and also fast enough for 2. Bowers tape screams he's a harbaugh tough kid baller too.

Nabers/Odunze would likely be the best WR we have had in a generation too. some good choices to be stuck with.

Comment

Working...
                          X