Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I was at the game with my blinders off and watched the D allow 10 points on the last 2 drives in a game we lost be 3 points.
    IT'S BOTH!!!!!!

We are failing on both sides of the ball.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Failure to execute in gotta have it moments of the game is the difference between 2-0 and 0-2
      But gotta have it moments can happen in teh first period - but they are magnified in the 4th period

The Oline gave up sacks twice on 3rd downs in the red zone if I recall. Both lead to FGs. The sack they gave up in Q1 that lead to a FG is just as equally important as the sack on the 3rd and 3 right at the end of the game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

IT'S BOTH!!!!!!

I would say its 80%+ on the defense and 20% on the offense

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

IT'S BOTH!!!!!!

Every time you lose, there is plenty of blame to go around on O, D, ST and (especially in our case) coaching. I just object to picking and choosing certain series to declare why a game was lost. The reality is plays all game long affect the outcome and games would play out differently.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

I was at the game with my blinders off and watched the D allow 10 points on the last 2 drives in a game we lost be 3 points.
            But you apparently missed four offensive opportunities that came up with 3 points. With the game on the line I may add.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

But you apparently missed four offensive opportunities that came up with 3 points. With the game on the line I may add.
              Lets just hope this Sunday - that both sides of the ball play well and there is no need to blame a side of the ball

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

No, I saw the entire game. Including the dumb penalties and long passes given up by the D earlier in the game. Those points count too. Just like the ones allowed at the end of the game.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

No, I saw the entire game. Including the dumb penalties and long passes given up by the D earlier in the game. Those points count too. Just like the ones allowed at the end of the game.
                  last 8 titans possessions, they scored on 5 of them.

Overall both teams had 11 possessions
                  each team scored on 5 of 11
                  Chargers had three fields goals
                  Titans had three touchdowns

plenty of blame to go around but have to take into account the entire game as there can be an inflection point earlier in the game. like a 70 yard pass play or a late hit on the QB or not scoring a touchdown on a first and goal from the 7 or not converting a 3rd and 3 and kicking a FG because the OL allowed a sack.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

last 8 titans possessions, they scored on 5 of them.

Overall both teams had 11 possessions
                    each team scored on 5 of 11
                    Chargers had three fields goals
                    Titans had three touchdowns

plenty of blame to go around but have to take into account the entire game as there can be an inflection point earlier in the game. like a 70 yard pass play or a late hit on the QB or not scoring a touchdown on a first and goal from the 7 or not converting a 3rd and 3 and kicking a FG because the OL allowed a sack.
                    We have not yet learned our lesson. Wasn't 27-0 in the first half enough to convince you? It's not how you start the game it's how you finish.

Here is the important part. We were up 21-17 in Q4. The Titans get the ball and punt. That's a win for our D.
                    The Chargers get the ball and punt. That's fail for our O. Put up 3 or 7 and the game inflection point just changed.
                    Titans get the ball, punt. That's a win for our D.
                    Chargers get the ball and punt. That's a fail. A 3 earlier or a 7 now puts the game on ice.
                    Titans get the ball, TD. Fail on our D
                    Chargers get the drive inside the red zone and settle for a 3. Note: A TD wins the game. That's fail for our O.

Total: 2 wins and 1 fail for our D. Three fails and one win for our O.

OT
                    Chargers get the ball, 3 and out. Fail
                    Titans get the ball, FG game over. D failed.

Final Chargers D 50% efficiency
                    Chargers O, 25% or O% depending on ones perspective.

Note that the job of the offense is to score points.
                    Note that the job of the D is to stop the other team from scoring.

Except for somewhat rare occasions the D cannot win the game. Only the Offense can. By scoring points.
                    If you lose 3-0, the D did it's job, the O did not.

The Chargers had four chances to essentially win the game, they failed.
                    The D had 4 chances at a stop. They failed twice.

Conclusion this game loss is on the offense.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Lets just hope this Sunday - that both sides of the ball play well and there is no need to blame a side of the ball
                      hopium for it all to "come together and click" for these players and we see a complete game. just once please

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

We have not yet learned our lesson. Wasn't 27-0 in the first half enough to convince you? It's not how you start the game it's how you finish.

Here is the important part. We were up 21-17 in Q4. The Titans get the ball and punt. That's a win for our D.
                        The Chargers get the ball and punt. That's fail for our O. Put up 3 or 7 and the game inflection point just changed.
                        Titans get the ball, punt. That's a win for our D.
                        Chargers get the ball and punt. That's a fail. A 3 earlier or a 7 now puts the game on ice.
                        Titans get the ball, TD. Fail on our D
                        Chargers get the drive inside the red zone and settle for a 3. Note: A TD wins the game. That's fail for our O.

Total: 2 wins and 1 fail for our D. Three fails and one win for our O.

OT
                        Chargers get the ball, 3 and out. Fail
                        Titans get the ball, FG game over. D failed.

Final Chargers D 50% efficiency
                        Chargers O, 25% or O% depending on ones perspective.

Note that the job of the offense is to score points.
                        Note that the job of the D is to stop the other team from scoring.

Except for somewhat rare occasions the D cannot win the game. Only the Offense can. By scoring points.
                        If you lose 3-0, the D did it's job, the O did not.

The Chargers had four chances to essentially win the game, they failed.
                        The D had 4 chances at a stop. They failed twice.

Conclusion this game loss is on the offense.
                        No the offense had 11 chances to score and they only scored 5 times - three fields goals, not enough touchdowns

The defense had 11 chances to not allow TN to score and they allowed 5 scores - but allowed one TD too many (thanks SJD)

it seems to me - both sides of the ball failed in this game - pretty equally
                        but since the D has been pretty bad since Staley took over and in Herberts 50 starts - I am going to say the defense needs to "step it up"

The first quarter counts just as much as the fourth quarter. I don't get why you don't understand this basic simple concept.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

No the offense had 11 chances to score and they only scored 5 times - three fields goals, not enough touchdowns

The defense had 11 chances to not allow TN to score and they allowed 5 scores - but allowed one TD too many (thanks SJD)

it seems to me - both sides of the ball failed in this game - pretty equally
                          but since the D has been pretty bad since Staley took over and in Herberts 50 starts - I am going to say the defense needs to "step it up"

The first quarter counts just as much as the fourth quarter. I don't get why you don't understand this basic simple concept.
                          The first quarter does not count as much as the fourth. Did you ever watch Tom Brady? What about the SB last year? Finish the damn game.

A TD at the end of the game wins the game. We came up short. That a failure on the part of the offense. What happened at that point has nothing
                          to do with what happened in Q1. You need the TD, you score take the win and go home. It's not like we didn't drive all the way down to the 13 yard
                          line with a 1st down. We were on the doorstep and couldn't finish it. In boxing you just landed a big punch the guy is ready to fall, wavering on the
                          ropes and you let him off the hook. Bell rings you get a second chance and freeze up. You just gave him the opportunity to finish you off and he does.
                          He wins not because he out boxed you in the earlier rounds, he finished you off.

That's what happened.

Comment

Working...
                          X