• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SDBORN
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
    Clevland has a 4th RD ROT from OSU starting. Their OL coach is Bill Callahan. Coaching matters.

funny thing... some on this board will tell you fundamentals are a given

Good coaching staff will repeatedly emphasize fundamentals - Chargers coaches repeatedly assume fundamentals are sound and we see it game after game - the same mistakes and no accountability

Comment

• rensoul
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
      Clevland has a 4th RD ROT from OSU starting. Their OL coach is Bill Callahan. Coaching matters.

It matters quite a bit, that OT dropped due to weight issues and questions about his commitment to the game.
      Callahan has that guy as a rookie replacing a former first team All-Pro OT in Jack Conklin and they haven't missed a beat.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Send PM

We have a lot of romanticism about Marty and Bobby Ross, but honestly, in terms of results, they were no different than Norv Turner record-wise. Really, Norv preserved almost all of the staff from the days of Marty, but schedules became tougher. 2006 was actually more or less a cakewalk of a schedule -- to me, Marty's coaching in 2002 and 2004 was more impressive in terms of strength of opponents faced compared to the raw talent on the team across the board. I think Norv's best coaching was in 2009 when we went 13-3 considering all the injuries we had sustained and the opponents we faced.

What really is unbelievable is that we had Shane Steichen, Frank Reich, Nick Sirianni, Rich Bisaccia, Steve Wilks, Ron Rivera at given points on the Chargers staff, yet they all went to have success elsewhere. It'll probably be the same with Ryan Ficken and Frank Smith.

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Yes, I don't follow any other team(s) as closely so I don't know if they have as big a social media presence as the Chargers do, and a lot of it I am sure comes from the NFL itself.

That being said, when you're a clown franchise, it's just a bad look to be hyper focused on these trivial things. But Spanos has zero feel for the optics of this. The stadium is like 75% opposing fans each week and he gives zero fucks.
          Just saw a thing on my google feed that linked to an insta or some social media thing that said "Chargers are the epitome of society in 2023. They "own" social media to hide how broken they are inside."

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Brandon's a politician . . . . . . . . . he says things to deflect and avoid attention to whatever deficiencies are brought up (just like politicians). Many instances of him making statements that were asinine or flat out untrue (like this one).

He's essentially a faker . . . . . . . . . I'm sure his intentionally incorrect statements (most people call these 'lies') are well received in the locker room. It's sure to endear him to his players . . . . . . way to keep it real Brandon
            snake-oil salesman is what he is. a phony, a fake, a liar! it's funny how his mind came up with that lie when everyone knows how bad the 3rd down d is. but he sounds so convincing. he has a future as a politician, and this is not a post on politics.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
              We have a lot of romanticism about Marty and Bobby Ross, but honestly, in terms of results, they were no different than Norv Turner record-wise. Really, Norv preserved almost all of the staff from the days of Marty, but schedules became tougher. 2006 was actually more or less a cakewalk of a schedule -- to me, Marty's coaching in 2002 and 2004 was more impressive in terms of strength of opponents faced compared to the raw talent on the team across the board. I think Norv's best coaching was in 2009 when we went 13-3 considering all the injuries we had sustained and the opponents we faced.

What really is unbelievable is that we had Shane Steichen, Frank Reich, Nick Sirianni, Rich Bisaccia, Steve Wilks, Ron Rivera at given points on the Chargers staff, yet they all went to have success elsewhere. It'll probably be the same with Ryan Ficken and Frank Smith.
              Look at that 2009 schedule again, Cincy and Tennessee were their toughest AFC opponents.

I think Cincy and the NFC east winner were the only playoff teams on the schedule ..... but not completely sure.

All those injuries in 2009 was basically Hardwick, who returned for the playoff debacle.

Those coaches were all Norv or McCoy guys, no?

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Look at that 2009 schedule again, Cincy and Tennessee were their toughest AFC opponents.

I think Cincy and the NFC east winner were the only playoff teams on the schedule ..... but not completely sure.

All those injuries in 2009 was basically Hardwick, who returned for the playoff debacle.

Those coaches were all Norv or McCoy guys, no?
                Most of the teams we played in 2009 were .500 or above, only the Raiders and Redskins being absolute crap. We played and beat the NFC East which weren't slouches for the most part back then, and AFC North where we only beat the Bengals.

Most of those coaches are Norv and McCoy guys, yes.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Norv took over a 14-2 team. Bobby Ross took over a team that just went 4-12. Marty Schottenheimer took over a team that just went 5-11. Ross and Marty built their teams up. Norv slowly tore the 2006 team down. We haven't recovered since, because we haven't hired a good coach since Marty was fired.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

Norv was a proven loser when he came here. He was handed a Ferrari and ran it into the ground.

Norv coached Redskins before he Chargers and they had no talent.

Saying Norv was a proven loser is like saying Bellichik is a proven loser based on this season.

Talented players matter. Norv took the Chargers further than Marty but both Rivers and LT were seriously injured in the AFC championship.

Redskins: In the following year, Norv started getting comfortable. Frerotte was his franchise QB and the offense had jumped from 26th before Norv got there to 17th in Turner's first season to 9th in 1996. The team finished 9-7 but missed the playoffs due to an ultra-competitive NFC East division. Still, in three seasons Turner had taken a bad team and a 7th round QB and turned them into a winning franchise.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2023
                      • Send PM

Most of the teams we played in 2009 were .500 or above, only the Raiders and Redskins being absolute crap. We played and beat the NFC East which weren't slouches for the most part back then, and AFC North where we only beat the Bengals.

Most of those coaches are Norv and McCoy guys, yes.
                      Dallas, Philly, Eagles, Washington .... all decent teams, but none were in even the remotest sense contenders.

Dallas and Philly made the playoffs .... Dallas got hammered by Minnesota 31 - 3 in the playoffs.

That pretty fairly indicated the gap between the NFC east and the elites that year.

Cincy was not much better.

The Ravens was a loss and they made the playoffs.

K.C. and Denver in 06 were a lot better than the 2009 versions.

Still, it was Norv's best effort.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

funny thing... some on this board will tell you fundamentals are a given

Good coaching staff will repeatedly emphasize fundamentals - Chargers coaches repeatedly assume fundamentals are sound and we see it game after game - the same mistakes and no accountability
                        I’ve been begging for them to hire Scott Peters as their OL coach. He has been Bill Callahan's Assistant OL Coach for 3 years and is a former NFL player.

I would be happy with the start of a coaching staff along these lines if Harbaugh is not going to be the HC

HC- Ben Johnson
                        OC- Mark Brunell
                        DC- Mike Zimmer
                        OL- Scott Peters

I would really hope they bring in some former players to coach the positions for the RB, WR and DB.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2022
                          • Send PM

Norv inherited a stacked team 14-2. Marty inherited a 5-11 team. Big difference there which lead to Norv's record in his first 3 years with the Chargers.
                          After that the team regressed.

More important when comparing HC is the record and what the players think. Marty has a lifetime .613 winning percentage. Norv .484.
                          Norv's former players both in Washington and Oakland criticized Norv. Marty by contrast is loved in KC where he spent much of his
                          HC career. Norv's teams always regressed over time. Marty's Charger team got better over time. Big difference there.

The missing ingredient for Marty was a championship. He was a great teacher of fundamental football. Norv was a X and O's guy. Not
                          a great leader of men or teacher. Norv should have stayed an OC, that's what he was good at. Although by the time he retired his
                          schemes became antiquated. Football fundamentals survive the test of time.

Comment

Working...
                          X