Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
    i think goodman and moore will go first. maybe even ronnie brown. they clearly see something in addae. he's got great instincts. needs to work on wrapping up and maybe even adding another 10 pounds or so but the skill set is there.
    they better find a new #2 RB before letting Brown go- Fozzy aint it.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Marvin Austin was cut by the Giants (2011 2nd round pick). They were really deep at D line and he's underachieved mainly because of injury. They should kick the tires on him. Giants tried to trade him with no takers since teams knew he had to be cut.
      Last edited by Beerman; 08-31-2013, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Eastlake
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
        they better find a new #2 RB before letting Brown go- Fozzy aint it.
        Woodcock is #2. Fozzy would be 3.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

if dwyer got his act together he'd be perfect.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
            if dwyer got his act together he'd be perfect.
            No thanks. He's been awful in Pitt. Maybe after losing weight this offseason that changes, but I doubt it.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
              No thanks. He's been awful in Pitt. Maybe after losing weight this offseason that changes, but I doubt it.
              4 ypc behind that line is hardly awful. he'd be a perfect backup if he was more dedicated.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

One last time...

MEACHUMP!!!

Comment

• QSmokey
                  Guardedly Optimistic
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kuna, Idaho
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                  Glad to see Meachem go. Sucks about the cap.

Not really any surprises so far
                  A month ago, at most, there were a number of posters who felt it would be impossible to cut Meachum, myself (kicking and screaming) included. Glad to see, in this instance at least, they stuck with the "Best 53" mantra.

Goodman, Brown, and Moore (Who?) are still at high risk. Glad they kept Addae.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

moore might get cut to make room for a waiver claim but he still impressed me the last two weeks, especially vs the 9ers. he'd be a good practice squad candidate. good size, good motor.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                      Not really true but whatever. I agree they still need many OL upgrades but Fluker replaces Clary who isnt a RT and a better OG. Vasquez wasnt that great as a OG and im glad we didnt pay him the 24 mil he got from Denver. If you ask me, he is a downgrade for them and he is dinged up already. Rinehart though on a one year deal is better than Greene was who didnt make a roster this year.
                      The OL depth is crap so i expect a add on or two through cuts and draft picks next year and or FA'cy.
                      Well, I was answering SDFan with my post. I am not sure what you think I said that wasn't true. We have just one young lineman who is, conceivably (the jury is out on him because he hasn't actually played in a real NFL game), worth keeping past this season. How is that different from coming out of last season - and please don't say Vasquez wasn't worth it because what he got paid in FA says the exact opposite.

Again, I don't say that this o-line will be as bad as last year (though it could be, can't rule that out). I say only that is will still be a bad o-line. It could be really bad with just an injury to a starter. I will like to see them in a real game where they are not protected by an overly conservative scheme that they were under during the offseason.

Comment

• Beerman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Eastlake
                        • Send PM

From ESPN

Most significant moves: This is a thin roster, so there weren’t a ton of standout cuts here. But there were two veteran names of note to get the axe in the first year of the Tom Telesco-Mike McCoy era in San Diego. Tackle Max Starks and receiver Robert Meachem were cut. Neither were very good this summer. Starks was signed to be the left tackle. But he was beaten out by King Dunlap and then by young Mike Harris to be the swing tackle. Meachem, signed in 2012 by the previous regime to be the No. 1 receiver, was a disaster. The team is thin at receiver and Meachem is guaranteed to make $5 million this season. Still, the Chargers decided to move away from him. Other cuts of note were center David Molk and pass-rusher Thomas Keiser. Both were expected to have roles going into camp.

Going young: This is a team that is rebuilding and the 53-man roster shows it. All six draft picks (cornerback Steve Williams is on the injured reserve) made the team and three undrafted free agents -- safety Jahleel Addae, nose tackle Kwame Geathers and defensive end Brandon Moore -- made the 53-man roster. U-T San Diego reports it’s the first time since 2007 that every draft pick made the team and the first time in 10 years that three undrafted free agents made the roster. Telesco is looking for youth to make an impact. The opportunity is there for these youngsters.

What’s next: This roster is far from set. The Chargers are going to be a work in progress. I expect Telesco will tinker with the bottom of this roster for the next several weeks, maybe even all season. As an executive in Indianapolis, Telesco was known for his eye for talent and for being able to pick up pieces off the street. Thus, this is his time to shine. He has plenty of work to do in San Diego. The Chargers could use depth on the offensive line, at receiver, on the defensive line, at outside linebacker and in the secondary. The team’s special teams was weak in the preseason. That’s a telltale sign of poor depth. So, more players are needed. Among the players San Diego could potentially look at are receivers Lavelle Hawkins, Chris Harper, Russell Shepard, Tavarres King, linemen Ben Ijalana, Fernando Velasco, Jake Scott and Danny Watkins and defensive tackle Drake Nevis.

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                          A month ago, at most, there were a number of posters who felt it would be impossible to cut Meachum, myself (kicking and screaming) included. Glad to see, in this instance at least, they stuck with the "Best 53" mantra.

Goodman, Brown, and Moore (Who?) are still at high risk. Glad they kept Addae.
                          We seem to be quite thinner at WR now to be perfectly frank. Royal has already suffered a concussion and both Floyd and VB are concerns when it comes to injury. We IR'd Willie. Seyi was sitting oh his couch halfway through PS, which says something about how much he is valued in the league.

Comment

Working...
                          X