Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
      bring back Tolzien- if he actually gets cut
      Coach Jim Harbaugh announced after Sunday night's preseason game that Colt McCoy has won the 49ers' No. 2 quarterback job.
      (On the same day McCoy agreed to cut his salary in half.) "I feel real good that Colt is the backup," said Harbs. Rookie B.J. Daniel will likely be kept as the third-stringer, with Seneca Wallace and Scott Tolzein getting cut. If Colin Kaepernick were ever hurt, the 49ers' offense would likely revert to the Alex Smith-like version with conservative playcalling to compensate for McCoy's numerous limitations. He's not a starting-caliber passer.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

I really hope they're trying to trade Whitehurst. Trade bait is the only thing he's good at.

If Rivers goes down, what little chance they already had is completely gone. Whitehurst isn't going to lead this team anywhere. In that situation, I'd rather see what the rook can do.

Comment

• UtahBolt
          Did we win?
          • Jun 2013
          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
          • Send PM

Sorenson has shown some things in the preseason and evidently in camp, maybe even enough to warrant a spot on the 53 man roster (to save him from the PS waivers). However, there is no way he get's a spot on the 53 man over Whitehurst. I don't think anyone in the organization would be comfortable starting Sorenson over Whitehurst should something happen to Rivers this season, pretty tough to start a 1-AA rookie over a veteran with some starting experience. At least we would have the chance to be somewhat competitive with Whitehurst out there. Keep them both, then give Whitehurst the boot next year.
          I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

49ers waive Scott Tolzien
            Posted by Josh Alper on August 26, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
            San Francisco 49ers v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

The 49ers played four different quarterbacks against the Vikings on Sunday night and none of them were Scott Tolzien.

If you saw that as an indication of where Tolzien stood in the pecking order at the position, you were right. The 49ers announced Monday afternoon that they waived Tolzien as one of five moves they made to pare down their roster ahead of the Tuesday deadline to get to 75 players.

Tolzien spent the last two years as a third-string quarterback for the 49ers without seeing any regular season action. He was 18-of-34 for 188 yards and an interception in two preseason games this summer, production dismal enough that the 49ers decided to add Seneca Wallace to the group of possible Colin Kaepernick backups with Colt McCoy and B.J. Daniels.

Comment

• TTK
              EX-Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • America's Finest City
              • Send PM

I'd rather save some cap space with releasing Whitehurst and use that for extending someone like Butler.

I definitely wouldn't try to sneak Sorenson onto the practice squad though. Tolzien wasn't nearly as impressive as Sorenson has been IMO and he got snatched up. And there are a lot of teams with putrid 2nd/3rd string options right now.

Comment

• Hard Charger
                Chargers fan since 1977!
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I agree with most here. I hope we keep Sorenson away from the Practice Squad, I just don't see him clearing waivers. It would be cool if we could move him there and keep him working with the team this year while Whitehurst backs Rivers, but he wont pass waivers. I think he's better than Whitehurst now, but I'd like to see him get at least a year of experience before he steps into the numma two spot.

HC

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard Charger View Post
                  I agree with most here. I hope we keep Sorenson away from the Practice Squad, I just don't see him clearing waivers. It would be cool if we could move him there and keep him working with the team this year while Whitehurst backs Rivers, but he wont pass waivers. I think he's better than Whitehurst now, but I'd like to see him get at least a year of experience before he steps into the numma two spot.

HC
                  Is there room on the roster to keep him as a #3?

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

If we cut Meachum and Goodman...
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Hell. Why all this talk about him being the #3 guy? He's looked better than Rivers this PS. At least he can fucking move and throw the ball when he is moving. We cut Rivers and we become flush with money to sign Butler and next year we can hit the FA money hot and heavy.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        Is there room on the roster to keep him as a #3?
                        My question is why waste a roster spot on Whitehurst?

Comment

• Beerman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Eastlake
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                          Hell. Why all this talk about him being the #3 guy? He's looked better than Rivers this PS. At least he can fucking move and throw the ball when he is moving. We cut Rivers and we become flush with money to sign Butler and next year we can hit the FA money hot and heavy.
                          Because that generally works out so well....

Comment

Working...
                          X