• Show
Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Buffalo is going into the season with an undrafted rookie as their starting QB.
    Let's see how funny that is, first.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      49ers waive Scott Tolzien
      Posted by Josh Alper on August 26, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
      San Francisco 49ers v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

The 49ers played four different quarterbacks against the Vikings on Sunday night and none of them were Scott Tolzien.

If you saw that as an indication of where Tolzien stood in the pecking order at the position, you were right. The 49ers announced Monday afternoon that they waived Tolzien as one of five moves they made to pare down their roster ahead of the Tuesday deadline to get to 75 players.

Tolzien spent the last two years as a third-string quarterback for the 49ers without seeing any regular season action. He was 18-of-34 for 188 yards and an interception in two preseason games this summer, production dismal enough that the 49ers decided to add Seneca Wallace to the group of possible Colin Kaepernick backups with Colt McCoy and B.J. Daniels.
      Hey, we can pick him up now and cut Sorensen because we never rebounded from cutting Tolzien.

Comment

• Panama
        パナマ
        • Aug 2013
        • London
        • Opera singer and web developer.
        • Send PM

This thread is comical. Yes, we know CBJ's limitations & I love Sorensen's potential. BS has outplayed CBJ so far. But any who favour cutting CBJ to give BS the backup job is completely overlooking part of the backup QB's role. I would be loath to have a rookie in that role.
        Adipose

Comment

• Maverick
          (Coryellian)
          • Jun 2013
          • Point Loma
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
          This thread is comical. Yes, we know CBJ's limitations & I love Sorensen's potential. BS has outplayed CBJ so far. But any who favour cutting CBJ to give BS the backup job is completely overlooking part of the backup QB's role. I would be loath to have a rookie in that role.
          THIS

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            THIS is BS
            Fixed it for ya.

And here's why: First, Whiteworst sucks. I don't care if he was "once a starting QB in the playoffs", because he performed dismally in said playoff game and it would be a MAJOR stretch to say that Whiteworst was a significant contributor to Seattle's 7-9, IIRC, playoff appearance.

Second, if Rivers goes down for any length of time this year - one game, two games, 10 games - those are 1, 2 and 10 LOSSES (hell, they might be WITH Rivers playing), so why risk losing Sorenson (which we will, IMO, if we try to sneak him through waivers) and put Whiteworst in there? It's not like CBJ is gonna lead us to the Promised Land (wrong biblical figure, anyway. ).

I can't believe anyone still seriously considers this a playoff team (cue Jim Mora), so is Whiteworst really that important to the success of this team in 2013? And I suppose that's the sticking point: Hope springs eternal, so there are those (Mav, Pananma, others) who feel as if Whiteworst could, indeed, live up to his sideline nickname. Which I personally think is a ridiculous notion.

Perhaps the ONLY good reason, IMO, for not allowing Sorenson to be the backup QB is the team doesn't want to expose him to the pressure of going from Div I-AA (I think that's what someone said), not getting drafted, and then asking to take the helm of an NFL team. That could ruin the kid, surely. But if people are willing to throw him in the trash anyway (i.e., allow him to be snatched up off the waiver wire), then what does it really matter?

Comment

• Charged up
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Really? Seems a lot of teams are considering starting rookies. So I don't think having one as a backup is that terrifying. Luck, RG3, Wilson, Kaepernick, were starters last year. Pryor is probably going to start. Without the injury EJ Manuel would be and still may be starting. Geno Smith. Ok, these guys were obviously more highly touted coming into the NFL, but history has shown you don't need to be a 1st round pick to be a productive QB. Vick = 1st round. Brady = 6th round. I think we know who's had the better career. Undrafted QB's. Kurt Warner, Tony Romo, Warren Moon

Without hesitation I would choose Sorensen over Whitehurst. Sorensen has upside. Whitehurst has no where to go but down.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charged up View Post
                really? Seems a lot of teams are considering starting rookies. So i don't think having one as a backup is that terrifying. Luck, rg3, wilson, kaepernick, were starters last year. Pryor is probably going to start. Without the injury ej manuel would be and still may be starting. Geno smith. Ok, these guys were obviously more highly touted coming into the nfl, but history has shown you don't need to be a 1st round pick to be a productive qb. Vick = 1st round. Brady = 6th round. I think we know who's had the better career. Undrafted qb's. Kurt warner, tony romo, warren moon

without hesitation i would choose sorensen over whitehurst. Sorensen has upside. Whitehurst has no where to go but down.

THIS

Comment

• Panama
                  パナマ
                  • Aug 2013
                  • London
                  • Opera singer and web developer.
                  • Send PM

Charged up & Q, you just don't get it. Nobody wants CBJ to see playing time. This has nothing to do with whether I think this team will be good or not. (& since when does 7-9 equal "hope springs eternal"???) I would rather see BS as the starter with CBJ as the backup than anyone as the starter with a rookie as the backup. If Rivers gets hurt, I would probably favor BJ getting the nod over CBJ. And I certainly *don't* want to expose BS to the PS. (No idea where you drew that conclusion from.)

But the backup has a function on the sidelines besides just being ready to go in if needed. I don't know all the responsibilities, and I know CBJ will no longer be radioing plays in to Rivers, but a vet will possess awareness and knowledge that will be of use in a supporting role that a rookie wouldn't, & I would feel more comfortable with a vet in that role. I suspect the team does as well, which is why I think CBJ will be 2 and BS 3.
                  Adipose

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Charged up & Q, you just don't get it. Nobody wants CBJ to see playing time. This has nothing to do with whether I think this team will be good or not. (& since when does 7-9 equal "hope springs eternal"???) I would rather see BS as the starter with CBJ as the backup than anyone as the starter with a rookie as the backup. If Rivers gets hurt, I would probably favor BJ getting the nod over CBJ. And I certainly *don't* want to expose BS to the PS. (No idea where you drew that conclusion from.)

But the backup has a function on the sidelines besides just being ready to go in if needed. I don't know all the responsibilities, and I know CBJ will no longer be radioing plays in to Rivers, but a vet will possess awareness and knowledge that will be of use in a supporting role that a rookie wouldn't, & I would feel more comfortable with a vet in that role. I suspect the team does as well, which is why I think CBJ will be 2 and BS 3.
                    So, you're proposing that we keep CBJ as the THIRD string QB? Then yes, I did misinterpret your point. Other than eating up another roster spot, sure...why not?

Of course, in the same post you say that CBJ would be #2 and BS #3, so maybe I don't know WTF you're saying.

My point: I am opposed to CBJ being the #2 QB. And if we decide to go with two QBs, CBJ should be cut. If we keep three QBs, I am in favor of CBJ being #3 with BS being #2. Hell, if Rivers has a season-ending injury, we could probably just re-sign Whiteworst as his backup at that time (or some other useless vet).

MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

P.S. I think you're doing too much drinking on your holiday.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                      So, you're proposing that we keep CBJ as the THIRD string QB? Then yes, I did misinterpret your point. Other than eating up another roster spot, sure...why not?

Of course, in the same post you say that CBJ would be #2 and BS #3, so maybe I don't know WTF you're saying.

My point: I am opposed to CBJ being the #2 QB. And if we decide to go with two QBs, CBJ should be cut. If we keep three QBs, I am in favor of CBJ being #3 with BS being #2. Hell, if Rivers has a season-ending injury, we could probably just re-sign Whiteworst as his backup at that time (or some other useless vet).

MAKES NO DIFFERENCE.

P.S. I think you're doing too much drinking on your holiday.
                      He's saying that CBJ as a #2 possesses experience/knowledge holding the clipboard (being on the sidelines) that a rookie like Sorensen wouldn't possess. Basically Sorensen is not qualified to be the #2 QB at this time, but if Rivers were to go down he'd have no problem putting Sorensen in as the starter and keep CBJ as #2. I believe Den (in his roundabout way) feels the same way. I'm of the mindset that if Rivers went down, our season is toast anyway, so why not see what Sorensen can do.

CBJ was important in previous years as he did all the relaying to PR, even while he was #3. But we had Volek as a solid #2. I don't know what CBJ's role is now that he is no longer Norv's mouthpiece.

I believe at the end of the day CBJ will be kept as #2 but Sorensen looks to b the better QB. Folks are afraid (and feel McCoy and co would feel the same way) to have an 7th round rookie, after just three preseason games, supplant CBJ to be Rivers's backup. Hence, my question about what it would take to keep all three QBs on the roster this year.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

but a vet will possess awareness and knowledge that will be of use in a supporting role that a rookie wouldn't, & I would feel more comfortable with a vet in that role.
                        what awareness and knowledge does CBJ possess?

Comment

• Charged up
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Actually I do get it thanks... And I still would like a back up that would give us the best chance to win if disaster happens and Philip goes down. A kid with mobility and upside as opposed to a Vet that hasn't done a thing in this league ever. He had EVERY opportunity in Seattle to start and couldn't close.

Comment

Working...
                          X