Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

2023-24 Chargers Season In Review

Did you think going into this season the Chargers had a shot at the Super Bowl? I'm sure nobody expected this season to devolve the way it did.

I want to know that happened to the OL, which looked so promising last season. Signing Trey Pipkins to a long-term contract and depending on him to hold down right tackle was a mistake. But what to Zion Johnson, Salyer and Slater? Where did those guys go? It didn't help that Linsley was lost for the year early in the season.

I have serious doubts about QJ. He looks like a practice squad level player. He never fights for the ball. Erickson is a more reliable playmaker than QJ. QJ could turn out to be a colossal bust.

Easton Stick is strictly a practice squad arm. He shouldn't be on the roster next season.

The entire WR corps was a disappointment. It was supposed to be an area of extreme strength.

The TE corps also disappointed. Everett is slightly below average and it goes downhill from there.

The RB corps was an even bigger disappointment. I don't understand what Telesco/Staley/Moore were thinking going into the season without upgrading the group. They looked good the first game though.

I wonder if KA would've played these final few games if they mattered. Probably. But once the playoffs were out of reach it didn't make sense to play him.
  • BoltAtlantic
    Professional Cynic
    • Jun 2017
    • Virginia Beach, VA
    • Send PM

My one word to describe this season...faceplant.
    There's no replacement for displacement, but a ProCharger sure helps...

Comment

• Chargers8491
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Did you think going into this season the Chargers had a shot at the Super Bowl? I'm sure nobody expected this season to devolve the way it did.

I want to know that happened to the OL, which looked so promising last season. Signing Trey Pipkins to a long-term contract and depending on him to hold down right tackle was a mistake. But what to Zion Johnson, Salyer and Slater? Where did those guys go? It didn't help that Linsley was lost for the year early in the season.

I have serious doubts about QJ. He looks like a practice squad level player. He never fights for the ball. Erickson is a more reliable playmaker than QJ. QJ could turn out to be a colossal bust.

Easton Stick is strictly a practice squad arm. He shouldn't be on the roster next season.

The entire WR corps was a disappointment. It was supposed to be an area of extreme strength.

The TE corps also disappointed. Everett is slightly below average and it goes downhill from there.

The RB corps was an even bigger disappointment. I don't understand what Telesco/Staley/Moore were thinking going into the season without upgrading the group. They looked good the first game though.

I wonder if KA would've played these final few games if they mattered. Probably. But once the playoffs were out of reach it didn't make sense to play him.
      I think most of this can be wrapped up with bad coaching and a loss of the locker room from the HC. Don't think the Chargers are that bad but let's see what happens when/if they bring in a respectable coach.
      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
      3a- #66 Puni OT
      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
      4a- #105 Rice WR
      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
      5- #140 Green CB
      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

I’m really, really disappointed in Moore’s offense. Obviously, losing so many key players kills any teams ability to do much on offense, but I saw little imagination or creativity, the run game looked even worse than before and the young players did not seem to develop or improve under him. Sobering highlight on this thought - we scored 6 total TDs in our last 7 games played.

Comment

• Chargers8491
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          I’m really, really disappointed in Moore’s offense. Obviously, losing so many key players kills any teams ability to do much on offense, but I saw little imagination or creativity, the run game looked even worse than before and the young players did not seem to develop or improve under him. Sobering highlight on this thought - we scored 6 total TDs in our last 7 games played.
          I agree. Honestly, he was probably the biggest disappointment this year. Even when everyone was healthy didn't see much creativity from him. Anyway, I guess we will see if he will be around next year.
          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
          3a- #66 Puni OT
          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
          4a- #105 Rice WR
          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
          5- #140 Green CB
          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
            Chargers Hall of Fame
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            I'm sure nobody expected this season to devolve the way it did.
            I knew it'd be a bad season (predicted 7 - 10 WITH Herbert). Had I known Herbert would be out when he was, 5 - 12 would have been my optimistic prediction.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

I cant be bothered to write in detail. I will just say that in the decades of bad Charger seasons i have hung in there for, this ranks right up there as the most disappointing season EVER, or at least in recent memory.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                I cant be bothered to write in detail. I will just say that in the decades of bad Charger seasons i have hung in there for, this ranks right up there as the most disappointing season EVER, or at least in recent memory.
                It’s right up there. There were years where the talent was just so bad you knew they couldn’t really compete, but this team should have been able to do so much more than they did.

Comment

• BoltAtlantic
                  Professional Cynic
                  • Jun 2017
                  • Virginia Beach, VA
                  • Send PM

Deano and Johnny Boy went all in this season...and lost everything. Typical.
                  There's no replacement for displacement, but a ProCharger sure helps...

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                    Right there with you. I had a lot of enthusiasm for Moore, but the Offense regressed with the passing game, and never fixed the running game, except in the first game. What was more frustrating was how bad the defense was, one of the worst units in the league. Special teams were good though.

I'm looking forward, just wished that this season wasn't wasted with the regression.

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Right there with you. I had a lot of enthusiasm for Moore, but the Offense regressed with the passing game, and never fixed the running game, except in the first game. What was more frustrating was how bad the defense was, one of the worst units in the league. Special teams were good though.

I'm looking forward, just wished that this season wasn't wasted with the regression.
                      Yeah, I meant to mention in the OP that Moore did not live up to expectations. It’s hard to really grade him though with the loss of MW and Linsley so early and QJ being basically useless. And with the lack of talent at RB.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltAtlantic View Post
                        Deano and Johnny Boy went all in this season...and lost everything. Typical.
                        I’m really hoping that Dean, who I’m sure loves his son, had a come to Jesus moment this season and faced the fact Little John is in over his head trying to run an NFL team. The way out is to hire Harbaugh, who will demand full control. Little John can keep his job title and continue to draw a paycheck, but he won’t be in charge. Maybe it’s wishful thinking on my part, but I hope that’s what’s happening.

Comment

Working...
                        X