• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
    Did you think going into this season the Chargers had a shot at the Super Bowl? I'm sure nobody expected this season to devolve the way it did.

I want to know that happened to the OL, which looked so promising last season. Signing Trey Pipkins to a long-term contract and depending on him to hold down right tackle was a mistake. But what to Zion Johnson, Salyer and Slater? Where did those guys go? It didn't help that Linsley was lost for the year early in the season.

I have serious doubts about QJ. He looks like a practice squad level player. He never fights for the ball. Erickson is a more reliable playmaker than QJ. QJ could turn out to be a colossal bust.

Easton Stick is strictly a practice squad arm. He shouldn't be on the roster next season.

The entire WR corps was a disappointment. It was supposed to be an area of extreme strength.

The TE corps also disappointed. Everett is slightly below average and it goes downhill from there.

The RB corps was an even bigger disappointment. I don't understand what Telesco/Staley/Moore were thinking going into the season without upgrading the group. They looked good the first game though.

I wonder if KA would've played these final few games if they mattered. Probably. But once the playoffs were out of reach it didn't make sense to play him.
    I had tempered expectations coming into the season. I was fairly vocal after the Ajax game that Staley and just about everybody else had to go. I thought they were all damaged goods. But once the season got closer my hopes started to come back for the team. Maybe Moore could improve the offense. Maybe QJ would add something. Maybe Parham could finally be a consistent contributor and maybe they’d avoid key injuries. And maybe JCJ could be the lock down corner we thought we signed.

The JCJ hopes expired in Game 1 as did really much hope for the defense. But hey we could run the ball!! And damn just didn’t execute the final drive or we could have won. Then TN which was a let down in a game I thought they really needed to win. It kind of see sawed from there for a few weeks but was clear that something was really really wrong with Staley. The first half against KC was pathetic defensively. and the injuries had piled up. And QJ didn’t pan out. And Parham was invisible. And the run game was worse than ever.

so I’d rank this as one of the worst seasons as a Charger fan because they were not entertaining and couldn’t figure out how to win. Offense was boring. Defense was inept. Best players didn’t show up. Only Mack and Keenan earned their money this season.

there have been plenty of. Gather seasons when you knew they weren’t going to do anything and just wanted to see improvement. We didn’t even get that. Just a complete waste.

Comment

• Craig440
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

I think this was the highlight for me. I saw "The Replacements"
      I like what they did and I hate the endzone antics, but glad they didn't work to hard learning it. Haha

alohi dances after the int (youtube.com)

Comment

• northerner
        Charger fan since '79
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

I was hoping for a division title, but if you are going to lose in the NFL (or any sport) lose big and change your future. finishing 8-9 is the season that gets you nowhere. no playoffs and you get middle of the road draft picks. at 5-7 we were wondering if 9-8 would make the playoffs, and then the Denver game happened and we are picking #5. not so bad to me.

if we had fought our way to 8-9 with Herbert, that would probably would have been our worst ending.

the positives for the future:

1. #5 pick. every round. we are the only 5-12 team. we don't have to rotate down to 6 or 7 with two other teams.
        2. staley is gone. fuck that guy.
        3. telesco is gone. fuck that guy.

in my book, if you aren't winning the division with a real shot at the super bowl, then just find a way to get to that point. at 5-7 we hit a wall and crashed into where we are now.

overall, this team did not have it. pretenders. however, we have some strong pieces and Herbert is the key. we need to turn it around quickly, and this season may be looked back on as the season that turned the tide.

one team wins the big one, everybody else goes home pissed off. we need to be the one team at the end.

Comment

• northerner
          Charger fan since '79
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

to give more of an analysis:

QB: Herbert is the guy. forget the regression talk. i think we need to improve the OLine more than we need receivers.

OLine: mentioned above. no running game (zero) and so many pressures on Herbert. HIs mobility kept him from a ton of sacks.

Receivers: QJ was a disaster, but he flashed some potential in the second half of the season. please turn it around. KA and Palmer could hold the fort. Everet is a tank, but the production seems light. Parham - my high hopes 2 years ago are fading.

RB: the whole crew is below average, but so much of that could be the OLine. In preseason, all the RB's looked great when they had room to run.

DLine: Bosa is made of glass. i like him but i never want to see him again. Mack is great but is super expensive and could decline at any moment. Tuli was a beast - very promising future.

LB: I don't even know. to think that we traded up into the first round to draft kenneth murray is depressing if you think about it for too long.

CB's: the JCJ disaster highlights this group. we can't continue to be 30+ in pass defense and expect to win, so something needs to be done.

kicking: Dicker is awesome and the punting improved during the season.

return game: DD12 is solid. can we get him more involved on offense?

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

What's the matter with you guys?? this season was a huge success!!! We finaly got rid of Tom Telesco!!! After a decade of futility!!! I am very happy with the outcome of this season to be honest.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I predicted 7 or 8 wins, even I was surprised at the collapse.

Didn't think they were going to be a playoff team. I had spoken to enough Cowboys fans to also be a bit worried about the Moore hire.

Hopefully something good comes of it all.
              ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

We were in 7 games decided by 3 points or less and WE LOST EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM. What's the fix??? I dunno, but a new head coach (cough....Harbaugh) would be a colossal step in the right direction. How would you feel with less than 5 minutes to go in the 4th and looking over and seeing Staley? Now you look over and see Jimmy H? I think the first thing this team needs is an infusion of confidence and I feel Harbaugh has that in spades. I don't want Billy either. I think he's done and simply past any prime he had.

If we are going to compete and succeed I am just hoping they don't cheapo out on the hire. But all of this is dependent on him picking us. Big task with our track record. Also I am rooting for U of W tonight. I think it would be easier to walk away from that gig if he loses.

Carpe Diem Senor Spanos.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post
                  to give more of an analysis:

QB: Herbert is the guy. forget the regression talk. i think we need to improve the OLine more than we need receivers.

OLine: mentioned above. no running game (zero) and so many pressures on Herbert. HIs mobility kept him from a ton of sacks.

Receivers: QJ was a disaster, but he flashed some potential in the second half of the season. please turn it around. KA and Palmer could hold the fort. Everet is a tank, but the production seems light. Parham - my high hopes 2 years ago are fading.

RB: the whole crew is below average, but so much of that could be the OLine. In preseason, all the RB's looked great when they had room to run.

DLine: Bosa is made of glass. i like him but i never want to see him again. Mack is great but is super expensive and could decline at any moment. Tuli was a beast - very promising future.

LB: I don't even know. to think that we traded up into the first round to draft kenneth murray is depressing if you think about it for too long.

CB's: the JCJ disaster highlights this group. we can't continue to be 30+ in pass defense and expect to win, so something needs to be done.

kicking: Dicker is awesome and the punting improved during the season.

return game: DD12 is solid. can we get him more involved on offense?
                  QB - -Herbert is the guy but they need a better back up. Not Easton Stick. Spend a few million
                  RB: blow it up, start over. Maybe just keep Spiller as there really is nothing to gain releasing him from a cap perspective - nominal savings so see what he has. Or release him, don't care
                  WR: bring in some playmakers. I think Williams is gone and Allen will be back - but who knows. They need more playmakers from WR and RB. I would probably bring back Erickson for the vet minimum
                  TE: Everett runs hard but just not there. Bowers would be awesome and add a blocking TE; Parham, see you later -- too many drops
                  OL: Need new coaching and a new Center - a better back up OC too. Also a better OL coach

Front 7: other than Tuli and Fox - I think everybody else is gone. Bosa because he can't stay healty, Mack for the reasons you listed - get value while you can; Linebacks, sheesh - start over
                  DB: Samuel will be back, I thik James - but who knows

KIcker: Dicker is awesome
                  Punter: bring in competition

I think the roster will have 25-28 new players on the final 53

If you can get draft picks for Williams, Bosa and Mack - would be ideal. I am ready to suck it up buttercup, take the hits this year and build new.

Comment

• AFboltfan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2018
                    • Balboa Park bench
                    • Medical Simulation
                    • Send PM

I didn't think we would recover from the Jacksonville game with Staley back at HC... I also didn't think the season would end like this though.

Comment

• Icebolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2023
                      • Send PM

Joe Trohman Smell GIF by Fall Out Boy

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

They need to get more speed in the house at WR. Remember when Herbert had KA and MW as his primary guys, but had two young guys who could blow by defenders? That was his phenomenal rookie season and the new regime needs to get back to that. Maybe the new OC will use DD in the vertical passing game more. I would turn over the TE corps. Move on from Everett and Parham. I'd keep Smartt - I think he has potential, give him another season at least to see what he can develop into. If they don't draft Bowers, maybe bring back Hunter Henry on a two year deal.

IMO, they need a complete turnover of the RB corps. Ekeler is probably gone. I might keep Kelley as a 3rd RB. But Spiller needs to go back to the PS and stay there. Maybe sign Derrick Henry to a one-year deal.

I don't want to see Bosa in a Chargers uni again. I don't know that they could get in a trade. Probably not much. Gotta keep Mack, not just for his play on the field but for his leadership and locker room presence. Young players look up to a guy like him and he sets an example. Same with KA, both these guys have value that extends past their performances on the field.

Send Michael Davis packing (so freakin' inconsistent!), let AS play out his rookie contract (one more season), his poor play may be due to the overall dysfunction on the team, find a CB who can be a #1, either through the draft or FA. I have no opinion on Marlowe, Bassey or Taylor - to me they are just guys, but most teams have JAGs at CB deep on the depth chart. As for safeties, bring back Gilman. They are stuck with Derwin, who'll probably improve under a new regime, but he'll never be that elite player he is being paid to be.

I advocate for trading down in the draft as much as possible to acquire 2nd and 3rd round picks (4th too) where the best values can be found, to upgrade at RB, CB and TE.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post
                          What's the matter with you guys?? this season was a huge success!!! We finaly got rid of Tom Telesco!!! After a decade of futility!!! I am very happy with the outcome of this season to be honest.
                          A nice consolation prize for a disastrous season.

Comment

Working...
                          X