• Show
Clear All
  • Scharnhorst43
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by boltfanseattle View Post
    Its Joe Alt at #5 time baby...
    this+1. we need an epic OL, Herberts confidence and comfort booster. Then he surgically dismantles defenses with drives, TOP, wear down the opponent, and if all else fails, a laser bomb pass.
    We can get a WR later. And really, with the basketball scores we have now due to easy pass interference flags i think a reasonably good receiver will do. But we need that wall NOW.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
      I am likely the only one this late to the game, I know. But Joe Alt is the son of former Chiefs LT John Alt? I loved Alt when he played for the Chiefs. So many fond memories of Leslie O'Neal running over and around and through him for sacks and TFLs. He was an all pro a couple times though, to be fair. Just not so much against leslie

TG
      it doesn't mean that John Alt was garbage, it just mean that Leslie O'Neal was an amazing player, sadly he doesn't get the recognition that he deserves even from a lot of Charger fans, Leslie's name doesn't come up enough when people talk about the greatest Chargers of all time...he should be in the fucking hall of fame too
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Parcells
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

it doesn't mean that John Alt was garbage, it just mean that Leslie O'Neal was an amazing player, sadly he doesn't get the recognition that he deserves even from a lot of Charger fans, Leslie's name doesn't come up enough when people talk about the greatest Chargers of all time...he should be in the fucking hall of fame too
        I remember watching him play for the Chargers. I didn’t realize how many career sacks he had…132.5. NFL DROY. Three time second team all pro. Six time pro bowler. That is actually a borderline HOF case. The crazy thing is that there are
        pass rushers with even better resumes not in the HOF, like Jared Allen and John Abraham. But given how valuable pass rushers are, I think all three should be in the HoF.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

I remember watching him play for the Chargers. I didn’t realize how many career sacks he had…132.5. NFL DROY. Three time second team all pro. Six time pro bowler. That is actually a borderline HOF case. The crazy thing is that there are
          pass rushers with even better resumes not in the HOF, like Jared Allen and John Abraham. But given how valuable pass rushers are, I think all three should be in the HoF.
          Leslie, should have been inducted while Allen and Abraham were still in the earlier parts of their careers...plus look at all the pass rushers in the hall that don't have Leslie's resume...O'neal has been passed over for much much longer than the two guys you mentioned...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Caslon
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Scharnhorst43 View Post

this+1. we need an epic OL, Herberts confidence and comfort booster. Then he surgically dismantles defenses with drives, TOP, wear down the opponent, and if all else fails, a laser bomb pass.
            We can get a WR later. And really, with the basketball scores we have now due to easy pass interference flags i think a reasonably good receiver will do. But we need that wall NOW.
            Let this season be a building year and not barely get into the playoffs and get eliminated right away, then call that successful. Detroit didn’t try and come on like gangbusters, but built slow and solidly. Get Herbert more time to throw or it’s gonna be a long season. The draft this year is so damn heavy with WR’s. I’m tired of the front office yearly making do with this O-line and leaving it all on Herbert.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

Let this season be a building year and not barely get into the playoffs and get eliminated right away, then call that successful. Detroit didn’t try and come on like gangbusters, but built slow and solidly. Get Herbert more time to throw or it’s gonna be a long season. The draft this year is so damn heavy with WR’s. I’m tired of the front office yearly making do with this O-line and leaving it all on Herbert.
              Outside of MHJr I'm good with trading for Minnesota's 11 & 23 and going OT and DL in a round 1. CB round 2. WR round 3.

Back to the basics.

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Even if repetitious, I love to mention this whenever the subject is brought up, Parcells.

Lawrence Taylor
                career sacks...
                precisely 132.5 .

ONeal lost a season when his knee got blown out.
                There were frequent dirty plays against Leslie.
                He is one of my all time favorite players.

1986 NFL Draft.
                Round 1 Pick 8.
                6'4"/275#
                Incredible burst and tenacity.
                Played the run well.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post

The Chargers drafted OL in the 1st two of the last three years and signed a top FA C. Unfortunately in 2023 Linsley went out early and looks like permanently and the change at OC was an unmitigated disaster. This year brings an all new training and coaching staff ( save special teams) and a serviceable vet C

Jim Harbaugh actually believes we can go deep in the playoffs with today's roster, never mind the draft. Hortiz is there to improve the odds but no one on the team is thinking about anything but winning, Now. Keep that in mind.
                  Losing and accepting it will not make them a better team. They're here for the W's game 1 and every game thereafter.

That doesn't rule out OL early but guaranteed we're not doing a total rebuild on OL players. It has been done on the S&C and coaching staffs. Which I agree with,

Comment

• Parcells
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Even if repetitious, I love to mention this whenever the subject is brought up, Parcells.

Lawrence Taylor
                    career sacks...
                    precisely 132.5 .

ONeal lost a season when his knee got blown out.
                    There were frequent dirty plays against Leslie.
                    He is one of my all time favorite players.

1986 NFL Draft.
                    Round 1 Pick 8.
                    6'4"/275#
                    Incredible burst and tenacity.
                    Played the run well.
                    LT was a beast: 1 MVP, 3 DPOY, DROY 8 first team all pros, 2 second team all pros, 2 Super Bowl rings. The fact that he and O’Neal are tied in career sacks doesn’t make them equal. LT is probably the best pass rusher of all time.

But I do believe that O’Neal has a resume that should have him in consideration for the HoF. I look at things like first and second team All Pros among other things. That tells me how good you were relative to the other players. And he was a blast to watch back in the day.

Comment

• beachcomber
                      & ramblin' man
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

not sure I follow the logic of those here who question drafting a RT round one coz the problem is more the IOL according to them.... ??

does that mean we shouldn't draft WR there as well, coz surely that ain't gonna remedy any interior line ills would it ??

and then again, who here would draft Pips ahead of the either of Palmer or Johnston ??

speaking for myself, the reason I'm drafting Fuaga @5 or 11 or wherever, is not based on position, but rather the player.

am an intangibles guy, and just not sold on any of the receivers as someone that I'm leaning toward....

think Nabers is a good fit in Chicago @9, if true that Caleb covets him and he can learn from Keenan.... good situation me thinx.

and as mentioned before, not sure that Odunze and Kyler aren't a really good fit in Az, and....

not sure where Marvin fits best at, and.... not sure it wouldn't serve NE well to get some star power in there, and for someone for Jacoby to throw to ??

and Alt just ain't my cuppa tea, albeit not sure Jimbo would file a complaint there, but just not sold on the left tackle sliding over to the opposite side, not to mention his anchor or somewhat lack thereof, and....

do like Fashanu, but he is more a pass blocking LT, and in my estimation doesn't quite fit the bill as well as Taliese, who seems to check most all the Chargers' boxes.... ??
                      5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

LT was a beast: 1 MVP, 3 DPOY, DROY 8 first team all pros, 2 second team all pros, 2 Super Bowl rings. The fact that he and O’Neal are tied in career sacks doesn’t make them equal. LT is probably the best pass rusher of all time.

But I do believe that O’Neal has a resume that should have him in consideration for the HoF. I look at things like first and second team All Pros among other things. That tells me how good you were relative to the other players. And he was a blast to watch back in the day.
                        Leslie ONeil never was quite the same after he blew out his knee that rookie season in terms of explosion.
                        He could have been as good as LT if not for that.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                          not sure I follow the logic of those here who question drafting a RT round one coz the problem is more the IOL according to them.... ??

does that mean we shouldn't draft WR there as well, coz surely that ain't gonna remedy any interior line ills would it ??

and then again, who here would draft Pips ahead of the either of Palmer or Johnston ??

speaking for myself, the reason I'm drafting Fuaga @5 or 11 or wherever, is not based on position, but rather the player.

am an intangibles guy, and just not sold on any of the receivers as someone that I'm leaning toward....

think Nabers is a good fit in Chicago @9, if true that Caleb covets him and he can learn from Keenan.... good situation me thinx.

and as mentioned before, not sure that Odunze and Kyler aren't a really good fit in Az, and....

not sure where Marvin fits best at, and.... not sure it wouldn't serve NE well to get some star power in there, and for someone for Jacoby to throw to ??

and Alt just ain't my cuppa tea, albeit not sure Jimbo would file a complaint there, but just not sold on the left tackle sliding over to the opposite side, not to mention his anchor or somewhat lack thereof, and....

do like Fashanu, but he is more a pass blocking LT, and in my estimation doesn't quite fit the bill as well as Taliese, who seems to check most all the Chargers' boxes.... ??
                          Not going to disagree with you beach.

For me any of those guys plus my guy will help us be better.
                          I'm just sticking to my guy since just a player I've wanted for us for 3 years and I believe Jim Harbaugh likes him too.

However, intangibles. ....all those guys have them. I don't think Fuagas are better than the others but whose to know?

We know Odunze is a worker. Studies, puts in the time as we saw at the combine and heard from scouts and guys that know him that he is a great dude.

Havent heard much about Marvin or Nabers. Just see Nabers videos. We know Bowers ethic and competitiveness. Heard his HC and assistants talk about him.

Intangibles include Poise, Leadership, Toughness, Confidence, Attitude, Effort, and Communication, heart , work ethic, coachability.
                          How can we know all this about all of them? How do you know all this about Fuaga? Seen nothing about it here. Sometimes I catch a interview with a player and those help us fans.

Again if we pick Fuaga, I'll be great with it. I'll be happy when he rips open a hole and our RBs run thru it for big gains, but I'd feel the same way if we draft Beebe or Barton.
                          Agree, I like him for us better than Alt. I don't really care if Nabers is a better fit for Chicago or NE needs a star reciever.....those guys also need a freaking QB!!
                          doesn't everybody say it all starts with a QB?

It's all about if JH2 think it is a good fit for us.

If we pick Fuaga, awesome, same with MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers.
                          Trade down get Bowers and then Barton at 23 or Beebe at 37...or Fuaga at 11 and DT, CB at 23...great. .I'm good with that too.

In closing, I Do believe JH will add to the OL and DL, Is what he does. But JH said BPA, we'll see if that holds true and what takes priority. Either way, I'm seriously good with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X