Clear All
  • SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
    I don't remember specifically reading that, but I agree that he won't get fired with McCoy. But I don't think the GM has had the sole ability to hire/fire SD head coaches since Beathard. Maybe Butler did.
    John Spanos had a large (if not the dominant) role in hiring McCoy. Expect that to be the case going forward as long as The Spanii own the team. Look around the league for an experienced former HC with a tame personality (yes man, won't question authority) with some years left on his old contract so Spanos doesn't have to pay a competitive salary- and you have our next head coach.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      They are really hurting this franchise

Year 1: benefit of the doubt with players making bad decisions

Year 2: the coaching staff making really bad decisions but a talented team making mistakes

Year 3: the coaching staff making the same mistakes and hurt by a lack of talent

Year 4: the Coaches haven't learned and the talent hasn't improved
      You forget about the John boy behind the curtain....
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Kyle
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Pagano has enjoyed a pass for years. They've invested multiple high draft picks and free agent signings on the defensive side of the ball and yet they're statistically bottom five in almost every defensive category every year. They are soft and it usually shows at the end of games.
        sigpic

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
          Pagano has enjoyed a pass for years. They've invested multiple high draft picks and free agent signings on the defensive side of the ball and yet they're statistically bottom five in almost every defensive category every year. They are soft and it usually shows at the end of games.
          Norv must have given "The Tape" to Pagano after he left.

Comment

• SDFan
            Woober Goober
            • Jun 2013
            • Dolores, CO
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Kyle View Post
            so he's probably the most likely guy to replace McCoy then.

Comment

• longhorn
              SD NOT LA Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

This team is going nowhere with McCoy as the head coach. Pick any of the top 10 coaches in the league and they are 3-0 with this roster. It's time to fire McCoy and give Whisenhunt a 3rd chance as a head coach - he worked wonders his first time with a seasoned Warner as his QB in AZ.

I do not believe Whisenhunt is responsible for 100% of the game plan and play calling. I suspect 20% is determined by McCoy and he is handicapping this team. It's not so much the play calling, rather he seems to stifle the momentum of the team during the game.

I do not believe this team would be any worse off with Whisenhunt as the HC. Give him a 14 game audition to see if he can make this team believe they should win instead of feeling they have to find a way not to lose.

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by longhorn View Post
                This team is going nowhere with McCoy as the head coach. Pick any of the top 10 coaches in the league and they are 3-0 with this roster. It's time to fire McCoy and give Whisenhunt a 3rd chance as a head coach - he worked wonders his first time with a seasoned Warner as his QB in AZ.

I do not believe Whisenhunt is responsible for 100% of the game plan and play calling. I suspect 20% is determined by McCoy and he is handicapping this team. It's not so much the play calling, rather he seems to stifle the momentum of the team during the game.

I do not believe this team would be any worse off with Whisenhunt as the HC. Give him a 14 game audition to see if he can make this team believe they should win instead of feeling they have to find a way not to lose.
                not gonna happen until after the stadium vote- if then. When was last time they fired a head coach during a season? Gilbride? Don't remember how they canned Mike Riley.

Comment

• Maverick
                  (Coryellian)
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Point Loma
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by longhorn View Post

I'm with ya, longhorn.

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Send PM

I think Telesco has done a good job of adding enough talent on this team to win. His FA signings this year have been very good too. McCoy is the problem. This is reminiscent of the Pre-Marty team that was close to success but didn't know how to win games.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Sun Valley, ID
                      • Send PM

I heard a short interview a couple of weeks ago with Lorenzo Neal where he said the single biggest mistake the Chargers made was firing Marty. He said Norv is a great coordinator, but is not a "leader of men". He said Marty was. That's probably the single most important trait, and the hardest to identify when hiring a head coach.

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                        I heard a short interview a couple of weeks ago with Lorenzo Neal where he said the single biggest mistake the Chargers made was firing Marty. He said Norv is a great coordinator, but is not a "leader of men". He said Marty was. That's probably the single most important trait, and the hardest to identify when hiring a head coach.
                        I agree. You can find lots of great coordinators, but true leaders are hard to find for the HC position.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Sound familiar?

The Peter principle is a concept in management theory formulated by Laurence J. Peter and published in 1969. The theory is that the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence."

Comment

Working...
                          X