• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Sunday's loss is the latest example of the Chargers' inability to win tight games, a trend the players are determined to reverse.

It has developed into the defining characteristic of the Mike McCoy era for the San Diego Chargers -- losing close games in the fourth quarter.

After another lead evaporated in the final moments of a 26-22 loss to the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday, the Chargers are now 3-11 dating to last season in games decided by eight points or fewer.

Asked about the late-game malaise of his team, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers offered a simple solution to the team’s struggles late: just win a game in those situations.

Philip Rivers thinks if the Chargers can find a way to win one close game, more will follow. Brian Spurlock/USA TODAY Sports
    “We haven’t won one like this,” Rivers said. “There’s not one that jumps out at me. So we have to win one like this, and then it will become where we expect to. And I don’t think that we don’t expect to now, when you do it and see how you do it ...”

Then Rivers talked about how the offense had a chance to put away the game, up 22-20 with a little over six minutes left in regulation.

San Diego’s offense started with the ball on the team’s own 18-yard line and drove to about midfield. The Chargers had to convert a third-and-2 from their own 47-yard line, and Rivers had a chance to connect with Travis Benjamin over the middle, but the ball fell incomplete.

The Chargers had to punt, and Indianapolis quarterback Andrew Luck found T.Y. Hilton six plays later for a 63-yard pitch-and-catch for the winning score.

“That to me is when you don’t even let the defense back out there,” Rivers said. “We just finish it -- we end up taking a knee and the stadium empties out. We had a chance to do that, and we didn’t. ... Of all the plays I missed today, I wish I would have hit Travis on that third-and-2.”

That’s the problem with the Chargers -- most times, those plays have gone the other team’s way.

Those plays lead to 4-12 seasons.

McCoy and the Chargers have to figure out how to make those plays go their way, or they are headed down a similar path.

“There were a number of opportunities that we had a chance to make plays,” McCoy said. “And we’ve got to make those plays. ... It’s never just one play. It’s never just one series. As we all know in this game, in the NFL more often than not, it comes down to making those plays at the end of the game.”

Perhaps the Chargers have to rely more on the power of positive thought, as veteran tight end Antonio Gates believes. Ever the optimist, Gates says he always believes good things are around the corner.

And instead of dwelling on negative plays, Gates is quick to point out what his team did right, like the way rookie Hunter Henry got open at the end of the game, and not the final result of the play, a forced fumble that essentially ended the game in another loss for his team.

“Positive reinforcement is always my route,” Gates said. “You allow them to see the mistakes that they’ve made, and you correct them. But like I told Hunter, the route was great. So you can build on something else.”

Maybe McCoy, Rivers and Gates all need a session with a sports psychologist courtesy of Chargers chairman Dean Spanos, someone who can help lead them in the right direction, providing a solution to the team’s late-game woes.

Whatever the tonic, the Chargers have to figure out what ails them -- and soon.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Boltx
      Dominate the day
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I think Tommy T has done enough to get some pieces for an 8 or 9 win team...but he certainly hasn't assembled a world beater by any means. He should get plenty of blame for the lack of talent but McCoy is just awful.

BTW Rivers will be 35 next year and the team is going nowhere fast. What a damn shame.
      ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

I would not object to trading Rivers to a winner. I care for him too much to see him stuck here with McLoser for the rest of his career.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
          I would not object to trading Rivers to a winner. I care for him too much to see him stuck here with McLoser for the rest of his career.
          Another 4 win or similar season and I think you almost have to. This team has zero QB prospects and quite honestly is gambling with father time that all of a sudden Rivers won't drop off the face of the earth and lose all trade value.

Honestly, this "era" of Chargers football is done. Was probably done a few years ago. Put Rivers on the Vikings and they probably win the Super Bowl.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Also sad that in year 4 now, TT's claim to fame is his ability to assemble MAYBE an 8 or 9 win team.

Somebody resurrect AJ Smith of 2004-2006 please.

Comment

• Lightnin'
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

...historically, we've laid eggs with "hot, offense-minded HC Prospects" with no HC experience.

We all know the names; Saunders, Henning, Gilbride, now McCoy; if you want to take a shot at Riley who was an NCAA HC, be my guest.

We've been better served by elders like Gilman, Coryell, Ross and Schottenheimer, despite no titles since 1963.

Time to get working on a blue and gold Tom Coughlin bandwagon...
              San Diego Chargers

1961-2017

Comment

• Faded blues
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lightnin' View Post
                ...historically, we've laid eggs with "hot, offense-minded HC Prospects" with no HC experience.

We all know the names; Saunders, Henning, Gilbride, now McCoy; if you want to take a shot at Riley who was an NCAA HC, be my guest.

We've been better served by elders like Gilman, Coryell, Ross and Schottenheimer, despite no titles since 1963.

Time to get working on a blue and gold Tom Coughlin bandwagon...
                If coughlin is willing to coach, I would giveh the keys to the castle.

He won two super bowls inspite of Eli

Comment

• Wheels
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

It's not looking too good for either of these guys. Sometimes, when I squint real hard, it does look like there's talent on this team. But then it regresses and I'm not sure where we stand.

I still think it comes down to basically the NFL is so competitive, so tight, that it's just plain difficult to get results that deviate from the mean very much. Everyone points to the Belichics out there, but he's an outlier, and I still think his edge is basically from cheating and messing with the gray areas, combined with solid leadership qualities. Think about it, the NFL is basically a meat grinder for coaches. Lots of really good successful coaches get ground up and spit out by the NFL. So teams repeat the cycle, hire and fire, all the while personnel changes extremely quickly. Then add the injury variable, and add the got fed variable (See Donald Butler), and it's no wonder most organizations struggle to get above the fray.

The formula, IMO, really is to get a super good QB, which opens the window. Then make sure you make enough good roster moves within that window and luck out with injuries for a season or two, and make a run.

We got 90% of the way there with LT/Rivers under AJ, but then had the injury problem.

Comment

• FiftyFive
                    Dean Spanos is a traitor!
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
                    I heard a short interview a couple of weeks ago with Lorenzo Neal where he said the single biggest mistake the Chargers made was firing Marty. He said Norv is a great coordinator, but is not a "leader of men". He said Marty was. That's probably the single most important trait, and the hardest to identify when hiring a head coach.
                    If Marty was even half the "leader" he's been hyped up to be, his teams wouldn't have failed so consistently in the playoffs.

Comment

• FiftyFive
                      Dean Spanos is a traitor!
                      • Dec 2014
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post
                      If coughlin is willing to coach, I would giveh the keys to the castle.

He won two super bowls inspite of Eli
                      Coughlin is 70 years old and has a new job as the NFL's "senior advisor to football operations." He is never coaching again.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                        not gonna happen until after the stadium vote- if then. When was last time they fired a head coach during a season? Gilbride? Don't remember how they canned Mike Riley.
                        Firing McCoy right now could be the best PR move the Chargers could make by far.

Comment

• Maverick
                          (Coryellian)
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Point Loma
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                          Firing McCoy right now could be the best PR move the Chargers could make by far.
                          Yep....they need to make that move alright.

Comment

Working...
                          X