• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

The stats show WRs taken in R1 out preform those taken in R2 in their rookie season. By year 3 there is very little difference between
    RD1 and RD2 WR performance. But R1 WRs still come out on top. Those taken in RD3 or later are far behind. So you're actually
    nit picking. You should list all the RD1 and RD2 WRs as well.

Also of note. How many times have you heard that the top 2 WRs are also the best talent available if you discount QBs? It doesn't
    happen very often. This year it's true. MH2 and Nabers are considered the best talent available discounting QBs.
    Yeah, I'm nit-picking when I listed 15 All-Pro receivers drafted after the first round. You're unbelievable.....Lol.

Share with me all of these great right tackles who were picked after the first round.

All-Pro right tackles over the last ten years:

1. Penei Sewell: first round.
    2. Lane Johnson: first round.
    3. Tristan Wirfs: first round.
    4. Jack Conklin: first round.
    5. Ryan Ramczyk: first round.
    6. Mitchell Schwartz: second round.
    7. Daryl Williams: fourth round.
    8. Marcus Cannon: fifth round.

Five out of the eight were drafted in the first round. Four out of the five are multiple-time All-Pros. The only first-round pick who hasn't made multiple All-Pro teams is Sewell, who will most likely make many more. Schwartz is the only non-first-round pick who made All-Pro multiple times, and he was drafted 37th overall. Marcus Cannon fell to the fifth round because he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma prior to the draft.

So, where's the evidence that it's easy to find a great right tackle later in the draft?

Last edited by DerwinBosa; 04-24-2024, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

1. Henry Ruggs.
      2. N'Keal Harry.
      3. Kadarius Toney.
      4. Treylon Burks.
      5. Jalen Reagor.
      6. Jahan Dotson.
      7. Rashod Bateman.
      8. Jameson Williams.
      9. Quentin Johnston.

Orlovsky clearly doesn't know what he's talking about when he says there have only been three first-round wide receivers who have disappointed. It also wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that Jerry Jeudy is a disappointment. He certainly hasn't lived up to the hype.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Yeah, I'm nit-picking when I listed 15 All-Pro receivers drafted after the first round. You're unbelievable.....Lol.

Share with me all of these great right tackles who were picked after the first round.

All-Pro right tackles over the last ten years:

1. Penei Sewell: first round.
        2. Lane Johnson: first round.
        3. Tristan Wirfs: first round.
        4. Jack Conklin: first round.
        5. Ryan Ramczyk: first round.
        6. Mitchell Schwartz: second round.
        7. Daryl Williams: fourth round.
        8. Marcus Cannon: fifth round.

Five out of the eight were drafted in the first round. Four out of the five are multiple-time All-Pros. The only first-round pick who hasn't made multiple All-Pro teams is Sewell, who will most likely make many more. Schwartz is the only non-first-round pick who made All-Pro multiple times, and he was drafted 37th overall. Marcus Cannon fell to the fifth round because he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin Lymphoma prior to the draft.

So, where's the evidence that it's easy to find a great right tackle later in the draft.

Half of those guys were LT switched over to the right side. Case and point Lane Johnson. You cannot have All Pros at every
        position. You listed 8 guys and at different times. But there are 32 RT that start in the NFL. Are they all bad except the All Pro's?
        How many All-Pros RT are chosen in a given year out of 32? Do the others all stink? All they all first rounders?

Again you're nit picking. As a general rule 1st rounders are going to be starters in the NFL over 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. That's just the
        way it is at ALL positions. It's especially true of the prime positions which besides the QB are OTs, WRs, CB, Edge. They are also
        going to be the best. But those are stats over time. It doesn't mean a great WR cannot be taken in RD5 and it surely doesn't mean
        a great OT cannot be taken later than RD1.

Not all drafts are the same. This year is a good year for OTs and WRs. But I would only take one OT @5, and wouldn't do it
        if MH2 or Nabers are there. Why? both MH2 and Nabers are superior talents over any OT in this draft. Realize your opinion
        is probably different and that's OK. You and I will not be making the pick tomorrow night.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Half of those guys were LT switched over to the right side. Case and point Lane Johnson. You cannot have All Pros at every
          position. You listed 8 guys and at different times. But there are 32 RT that start in the NFL. Are they all bad except the All Pro's?
          How many All-Pros RT are chosen in a given year out of 32? Do the others all stink? All they all first rounders?

Again you're nit picking. As a general rule 1st rounders are going to be starters in the NFL over 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. That's just the
          way it is at ALL positions. It's especially true of the prime positions which besides the QB are OTs, WRs, CB, Edge. They are also
          going to be the best. But those are stats over time. It doesn't mean a great WR cannot be taken in RD5 and it surely doesn't mean
          a great OT cannot be taken later than RD1.

Not all drafts are the same. This year is a good year for OTs and WRs. But I would only take one OT @5, and wouldn't do it
          if MH2 or Nabers are there. Why both MH2 and Nabers are superior talents over any OT in this draft. Realize your opinion
          is probably different and that's OK. You and I will not be making the pick tomorrow night.
          Lane Johnson started at left and right tackle in college.

I listed all of the All-Pro right tackles over the last ten years. There have been eight of them in total. Five of them are first-round picks. That is not nit-picking. That is stating a fact.

Feel free to tell me who the other great right tackles are in the NFL. How many of them drafted after the first round are of the same caliber at their position as Amon-Ra St. Brown, Stefon Diggs, Tyreek Hill, Keenan Allen, Cooper Kupp, etc.?

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Ontario , Canada
            • Send PM

That graph isn't a fair comparison. It shows C as being the least likely to bust for guys taken in RD1.
            Question: How many Cs get taken in round 1?

It shows QBs bust at a high rate. QB is the hardest and most important position to play in the NFL. Teams
            throw out the value chart when they trade for a QB. Teams are willing to take a chance for that reason.

Lots or WRs get taken in RD1 compared to a C. They bust for lots of reasons. Turns out a WR is highly
            depended on a QB and the O line. We have pretty good QB. The O line can be upgraded, but it takes 5 guys.
            One ROT is not going to solve all the issues we have on offense. If Herbert doesn't have good targets we're
            not going to have much of a passing game either.

MH2 is considered a generational WR. Nabers isn't far behind. QJ may not even get drafted in RD2 this year.
            That's how big the difference is.
            They did a 25 yr sample so it is fair. The # of C is irrelevant really as the figures are shown as a % so you are obfuscating and just dont like the results perhaps. Maybe there are lots of reasons but the bust rate for WR was still among the highest. They could bust w us for the same reasons you cite. The verdict is still out on QJ. MW was not a bust but missed a lot of time for a top 10 pick including 13 games last year.

I am not too convicted either way and would be quite happy w one of the top WRs actually but just reporting the facts. OT is the safer play.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

yes and NO, while all these guys are projections they don't all carry the same amount of risk...
              Of course, but my problem is picking around the edges so that every gesture by Nabers confirms someone's unconfirmed and tenuous 'concern'.

The risk for JC Latham (who I actually really like) is that he is up to 365 pounds ... he might eat himself out of the league.
              How many top OTs are 360 +?

The risk for Bowers (who I really like) is that there are very, very few elite tight ends under 6'4".

The typical line on Nabers is that he doesn't fit Harbaugh, so he won't be drafted.

Well, how about Harbaugh is worried about 6'3" tight ends, so Bowers will not be the choice.

Or, an oversized OT doesn't fit Harbaugh's style, so he won't be the pick?

Unless they are Harbaugh, I don't really want to her it.

Personally, my preference would be a trade down and grabbing either of those two guys (with a preference for an OT),
              and getting an extra 1rst. Its not exactly like I'm a Nabers guy and don't want the other two.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Lane Johnson started at left and right tackle in college.

I listed all of the All-Pro right tackles over the last ten years. There have been eight of them in total. Five of them are first-round picks. That is not nit-picking. That is stating a fact.

Feel free to tell me who the other great right tackles are in the NFL. How many of them drafted after the first round are of the same caliber at their position as Amon-Ra St. Brown, Stefon Diggs, Tyreek Hill, Keenan Allen, Cooper Kupp, etc.?
                Off the top of my head, and just addressing tackles in general, the guy currently on Philly (not drafted), and the stud OT on Green Bay (whose career is coming to an end), and of course Jason Peters.
                Seattle got a good one in the 3rd round.

I've put zero effort in those.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Off the top of my head, and just addressing tackles in general, the guy currently on Philly (not drafted), and the stud OT on Green Bay (whose career is coming to an end), and of course Jason Peters.
                  Seattle got a good one in the 3rd round.

I've put zero effort in those.
                  Jason Peters was a left tackle. Lane Johnson is the Eagles' right tackle. David Bahktiari was a left tackle.

So, yes, you put zero effort in those.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Jason Peters was a left tackle. Lane Johnson is the Eagles' right tackle. David Bahktiari was a left tackle.

So, yes, you put zero effort in those.
                    Your limiting the choices to RT is a lot like limiting your receiver group to only include Y receivers: its senseless.

Bahktari and Peters wouldn't have cut it at RT?

Comment

• Bolts4ever213
                      Day One...
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Brentwood, 94513
                      • Send PM

Man, so close to draft. Now we will know. I just know we are headed to an amazing ride. I live in the Bay Area and I saw what happened when Jim was up here. He is part of the reason my triplet girls are 49er fans. Well other than the fact they were born in SF. I’m really hoping we can trade down. And with this draft being so deep, more picks work. If we get two picks from the Vikings and what ever else, to double dip on the line would be my dream. Dominate the line and you dictate the game. Let Fucking Go!!!

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                        Let's do this!
                        • Aug 2022
                        • Raleigh N. Carolina
                        • Send PM

Team Odunze here.

Draft a proper RT later or next year.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013