Clear All
  • Mister Hoarse
    No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    That's probably true but never underestimate the ego of these guys and the thinking that "Everyone else failed but I know I can fix it".
    Payton seems smart enough to know he would never have that much control here.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
      I'd like Payton but with the caveat of a new, strong DC as well.

That be said....after Norv and now McNorv...I feel like out of necessity we almost need a Marty-type of coach. I like to avoid the knee-jerk coaching hires (as well as the pendulum swings in coaching philosophies), but it's almost absolutely needed at this point. The entire culture is just too soft.

Does Tom Coughlin want to coach anymore?
      Absolutely my first choice.
      Will never happen here.

Pat Kirwan on Sirius radio was recently listening to an endless Bellichik ballwashing conversation when he was asked who he would chose as HC if he could pick anyone from history dead or alive.
      He said.. If he had to win one huge game like a SB to save his career, it would be Coughlin without a doubt.
      History seems to bear this out too. Just sayin.
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I'd be ok with Coughlin. He's 70 years old but he's the kind of guy we need. However he'd never get hired here. You know why.

Comment

• vinabolt
          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
          • Feb 2015
          • Send PM

Coughlin has all the qualities that I want, oldschool, tough, discipline. But not only SD, probably nobody is going to hire him as a head coach. He's just too old. You see how Bruce Arians was hospitalized earlier, who knows how many years he have left. You don't hire a 70 something years old head coach unless you think he is a genius or you're ready to find a new coach in a couple of years. The other thing is he has tendency of hiring bad coordinators and loyally stays with them even when everyone calling for their heads (Gilbride and pretty much every of their DC).
          Last edited by vinabolt; 10-11-2016, 03:03 PM.
          Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
            Coughlin has all the qualities that I want, oldschool, tough, discipline. But not only SD, probably nobody is going to hire him as a head coach. He's just too old. You see how Bruce Arians was hospitalized earlier, who knows how many years he have left. You don't hire a 70 something years old head coach unless you think he is a genius or you're ready to hire a new coach in a couple of years. The other thing is he has tendency of hiring bad coordinators and loyally stays with them even when everyone calling for their heads (Gilbride and pretty much every of their DC).
            For as much as I hate him, Gilbride is a Coughlin disciple who served him in Jax and NY and was pretty successful in both stints.

Comment

• vinabolt
              Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
              • Feb 2015
              • Send PM

Yeah, but after it was clear that Gilbride offense was outdate and need to be replace, he was still fighting to retain him and every of his DCs. It was the main reason that they "fire" him. The lack of qualities in their OC/DC was what made them pretty much a "meh" team in every season other than that 2 SB seasons.

Comment

fender57
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Yeah, but after it was clear that Gilbride offense was outdate and need to be replace, he was still fighting to retain him and every of his DCs. It was the main reason that they "fire" him. The lack of qualities in their OC/DC was what made them pretty much a "meh" team in every season other than that 2 SB seasons.
                So what? Why wouldn't he fight for assistants that helped him get to two Super Bowls and countless playoff games? Everyone thought Coughlin (and Gilbride) were finished when the Giants took a chance on him. And how many times did they proclaim Coughlin finished only to have him win a Super Bowl? He earned the right to keep the guys who got him there.

These reasons are some of the reasons why the Idiots will never hire him.

Comment

• vinabolt
                  Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                  • Feb 2015
                  • Send PM

Countless playoff? Other than those underdog 2 SB seasons (they were struggling throughout those seasons, barely made the playoff and were the underdog in all playoff games), they were floating around 8-8 most of the time with those coordinators, missing playoff years in and years out. Barely made the playoff and barely missed the playoff. NYG fans just had enough, they were happy and having parties everywhere after Coughlin was forced out.

After those 2 SB seasons, the result just wasn't there. They were bad. And their ownership was right to demand better coordinators and assistant coaches. The situation was pretty much similar to NBA Golden State where they fired Mark Jackson because he refused to upgrade his staff.
                  Last edited by vinabolt; 10-11-2016, 04:13 PM.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Countless playoff? Other than those underdog 2 SB seasons (they were struggling throughout those seasons, barely made the playoff and were the underdog in all playoff games), they were floating around 8-8 most of the time with those coordinators, missing playoff years in and years out. Barely made the playoff and barely missed the playoff. NYG fans just had enough, they were happy and having parties everywhere after Coughlin was forced out.

After those 2 SB seasons, the result just wasn't there. They were bad. And their ownership was right to demand better coordinators and assistant coaches. The situation was pretty much similar to NBA Golden State where they fired Mark Jackson because he refused to upgrade his staff.
                    2000, 2002, 2005-08, and 2011 plus the year's in Jacksonville. I think calling it countless is pretty accurate in the big scheme of things. I wish we had just a sliver of Coughlin's success.

Comment

• KNSD
                      Registered Charger Hater
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Coughlin is the new Steve Fisher. Make it happen.
                      Prediction:
                      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I wanted to add that sometimes coaches get stale in their current situation. That's what may have happened with Coughlin though there were reports he didn't want to leave. Still, I don't see how anyone could argue against Tom Coughlin, the guy is a winner.

Comment

• vinabolt
                          Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                          • Feb 2015
                          • Send PM

According to these numbers, he doesn't made playoff once since 2011? That was bad, lol.

So, he had one good stretch from 2005-2008, ten years ago. Every other time was pretty much "one good/one bad" kind of deal. Even in their "good" season, they were struggle to made the playoff. They usually made the playoff on tiebreakers in the last week of the regular season and praying for other teams to win/lose.

And his resume at JAX with Gilbride wasn't that impressive at all. They were even worse than in NY. They, led by Mark Brunell, made the playoff and got shut down by Belichick, and scored 3 points in that game. I still remember watching that game.

I don't think he was a bad coach. I think he is an above avg. coach who likes to keep bad coordinators just because he feels comfortable working with them, eventhought they suck. I never hate Gilbride. I just think he's not a good coach, head coach or coordinator. This days and age and he's still using that old numeric system that confuse players.

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                          2000, 2002, 2005-08, and 2011 plus the year's in Jacksonville. I think calling it countless is pretty accurate in the big scheme of things. I wish we had just a sliver of Coughlin's success.

Comment

Working...
                          X