• 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Roman hire is low-key genius.
    it's going to work.
    When we win our first superbowl, we'll be hated-on by Raven and 9ers fans alike.
    fun times ahead.
    Last edited by 21&500; 02-19-2024, 03:07 PM.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Los Angeles Chargers offensive coordinator Greg Roman told reporters Thursday that he is confident that the Chargers will establish a consistent running offense, which he expects to elevate quarterback Justin Herbert.

Herbert is at his best when passing, which Roman acknowledged, saying that his offense wouldn't look the way it has with Jackson and Kaepernick.

"It's going to be a little different," Roman said. "I think you're going to see probably a multiple running game. You'll probably see the use of motions and shifting, and then you'll see a pretty diverse passing game.

"... Right now, everybody's got a blank slate of who we can be or what we can do. Could be anything right now, our principles and whatnot of what we do offensively won't change, but how they come to life on the field will."

Still, Roman isn't dismissing the idea of any designed runs for Herbert next season.

"We'll give it to anybody that can gain yards," Roman said. "And then will Justin run the ball? ... It'll probably be more as a scrambler. Will we have some of that other stuff in our back pocket? Remains to be seen."

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

RPO-heavy in goaline/short yard situations.
        "Rosebowl Herbo" not skipping leg day.
        Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Roman seeks a balanced offense

• At his introductory news conference earlier this month, Harbaugh said one of his priorities will be to “beef up the run game.” That is Roman’s speciality. And on Thursday, Roman quite clearly vocalized that as part of his vision.

“We want to be a balanced offense,” he said. “We want to be able to run it when we want to run it and throw it when we want to throw it. If they present looks that are favorable to run it, then we want to be able to run it at a high level. Every place I’ve been, that’s kind of been the goal, to try to have that complete attack.

“We want to have an identity as an offense. And we want that to be a strong, powerful identity. And that’s what we’re working on. But I think in this league, you can really help dictate to defenses if you have a strong running attack. If you really talk to most defensive coordinators in this league and got them off to the side when they’re playing a really good running team, they’re sweating a little bit. They’re sleeping a little less that week. So I think it’s in our favor to be able to have that balanced attack.”

• The natural next question was this: How do you balance implementing that running game vision while also maximizing the talents of quarterback Justin Herbert?

“That’s where you have to come back to what your ultimate concern is, and for us, it’s winning,” Roman said. “So whatever that might be that particular week. We might have to throw it a lot this game to win. Might have to run it the next week. How that looks in the stat line and all that, I really don’t care. It’s really not part of what I’m trying to do. Stats and all that stuff happen and come through production and success. So if you have a balanced attack, you should have pretty good stats in both areas.

“I can frame it this way: Can you imagine Justin Herbert with a great running game? That’s kind of how I look at it.”

Herbert, of course, has never had an even above-average running game during his career. The truth is, no one can answer the rhetorical question Roman posed because we just haven’t seen it yet.

“We want to have an offense that supports his talent, and there’s a lot of different ways to do that,” Roman said. “But the quarterback can’t do everything on his own.”

• Roman has built excellent running games everywhere he has been in his coaching career, and he said the key to building that phase is “commitment.”

“You have to invest in it,” Roman said. “Then you got to get the buy-in from the players, and then you actually have to do it. You actually have to call runs during the games. We’re going to do what it takes to win, but you got to commit yourself to do it or else you got no chance at being anything better than average.”

This will be encouraging for the Chargers offensive linemen and backs. There was often a feeling, both under Joe Lombardi and Kellen Moore, that past play callers did not stick with the run game. Players sometimes felt like it was hard to get into a rhythm. One thing is clear: That will not happen with Roman calling plays.

“You got to give the players an opportunity to express their physicality by actually what you do, the plays you call,” Roman said.

• Roman did make one thing clear: “We’re trying to be great at running the ball, and we’re trying to be great at throwing the ball. We’re trying to be great at both all the time.”

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Herbert with a good running game and an even average defense? Unstoppable.

Staley was right that Herbert is his best player and you want the ball in the hands of your best player when the game is on the line. It just felt like the ball was in the hands of Herbert all the time and the game was always on the line because the defense was so awful and there was no running game at all.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Staley was right that Herbert is his best player and you want the ball in the hands of your best player when the game is on the line. It just felt like the ball was in the hands of Herbert all the time and the game was always on the line because the defense was so awful and there was no running game at all.

TG
              Exactly right. I think the offseason moves in free agency are going to be RB, TE and OL. Can't do it all so will start on the side of the ball with Herbert

The draft will balance out but free agency, spend wisely and target specific areas of need.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Exactly right. I think the offseason moves in free agency are going to be RB, TE and OL. Can't do it all so will start on the side of the ball with Herbert

The draft will balance out but free agency, spend wisely and target specific areas of need.
                I'd double dip RB, C in FA & draft. Let Roman have a say on the FAs. We have to hit on them.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

@TE I got us bringing back Vannett & Everett and adding Harrison Bryant.... wouldn't mind adding Henry, but think he's going to be overpriced/valued, and would rather have the younger Ben Sinnott.

@RB am replacing Kelley w/D'Ernest Johnson, as am not against bringing in several RBs from the draft

@the OC have a budget of $10m for Connor Williams

also have QB on my list * Gardner Minshew/3.5m, DE Dorance Armstrong/6m, DT A'Shawn Robinson/4m, ILB Denzel Perryman/2m, CB Mike D./3m, NB Essang Bassey/1m, SS Alohi Gilman/2m
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                    And this level of pressure took it's toll on Herbert. I've said it before - Herbert HAD to play great each and every game. Staley counted on him to offset the terrible defense, run game, Oline, coaching. . . . . . . . everything. Small wonder Herbert's production fell off. Kid is nails, but no human can handle carrying this level of pressure / expectations year after year without some kind of issues. The only parts of the team that were any good were the receivers and the field goal kicker.

Herbert had to offset;

Shitty defense
                    Shitty Oline play
                    Shitty running game
                    Shitty coaching

That's all . . . . . . . . . no sweat. . . . . . . . .. easy peasy

Comment

• Fleet 1
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Kauai
                      • Send PM

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

@TE I got us bringing back Vannett & Everett and adding Harrison Bryant.... wouldn't mind adding Henry, but think he's going to be overpriced/valued, and would rather have the younger Ben Sinnott.

@RB am replacing Kelley w/D'Ernest Johnson, as am not against bringing in several RBs from the draft

@the OC have a budget of $10m for Connor Williams

also have QB on my list * Gardner Minshew/3.5m, DE Dorance Armstrong/6m, DT A'Shawn Robinson/4m, ILB Denzel Perryman/2m, CB Mike D./3m, NB Essang Bassey/1m, SS Alohi Gilman/2m
                        I'm out on Conner Williams. Won't be ready and he only played OC at Miami.
                        Certainly not spending 10 m a year on him. He was making 7 at Miami and tore his ACL.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-23-2024, 04:38 PM.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I'm out on Conner Williams. Won't be ready and he only played OC at Miami.
                          Certainly not spending 10 m a year on him. He was making 7 at Miami and tore his ACL.

Yeah, I can't see the Chargers spending $10 million on him either especially since he won't be ready after his ACL tear in week 14. There are a couple of good vet centers that will be available and probably cheaper.

I'm on the Braelon Allen bandwagon in the 3rd if they draft a RB. Dude is 240 lb and supposedly runs a 4.4. Guy is a beast.
                          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                          3a- #66 Puni OT
                          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                          4a- #105 Rice WR
                          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                          5- #140 Green CB
                          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

Working...
                          X