• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I mean, Harbaugh's offensive stats as HC of the 49ers are available for all to look up.

Never said the run game now is a handicap, rather that it will take some attention from the pass game.

I don't see us necessarily going toe to toe with the likes of the Bills, Bengals, Chiefs etc in the regular season as I don't think we'll be built to play that kind of game if conditions are ideal - but come playoff time, we will be a different animal. I think that's what they are building towards.
    Actually? I expect that KC, etc is specifically who Harbaugh intends to beat.
    Some early reg season games may fall victim to the "new" about the Chargers and the coach has pointedly repeated that he expects his players to improve every day.
    That said, we'll try to win every game and will learn from our failures if and when we don't.

Regards run/ pass, we'll use both to set up the other.The goal is spread the D thin. Obviously if they can't stop something, we won't stop using it.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Some early reg season games may fall victim to the "new" about the Chargers and the coach has pointedly repeated that he expects his players to improve every day.
      That said, we'll try to win every game and will learn from our failures if and when we don't.

Regards run/ pass, we'll use both to set up the other.The goal is spread the D thin. Obviously if they can't stop something, we won't stop using it.
      I think he meant that Harbaugh's intention is to beat those teams, true, but *not* by trying to go toe-to-toe with them. We SEEM to be attempting to build around a different philosophy.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I think he meant that Harbaugh's intention is to beat those teams, true, but *not* by trying to go toe-to-toe with them. We SEEM to be attempting to build around a different philosophy.
        I'm tempted to go smart-ass and say "yeah! One in which we win!"

Avoiding that, still pretty much yeah!. Herbert is 2-6 vs KC by -3, +17, +7, -6 OT, -3, -3, -14, -1.
        We were close. That's not good enough.
        A change in philosophy is appropriate and in progress.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

I found this breakdown very relevant to our future, specifically on the offensive side.
          I stand by my opinion that if Greg Roman was the Ravens OC on this day, they dominate KC.
          The irony is an insult to Raven fans and a warning to everyone else, do not lose your identity when it matters most.
          "we (Ravens).never committed to running the ball at all, we only ran when we were forced to."
          That quote says it all.

G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I'm not upset about it

I'm actually excited to see what Roman can do. I think he will learn from past mistakes. I can see an offense very similar to 2004-2006 under Cam Cameron that was very balanced, obviously without the services of LT but we will lean on the run game but probably more 50/50.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some random games where Herbert only throws it 15 times if the run game is simply leaning on the other team.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              I found this breakdown very relevant to our future, specifically on the offensive side.
              I stand by my opinion that if Greg Roman was the Ravens OC on this day, they dominate KC.
              The irony is an insult to Raven fans and a warning to everyone else, do not lose your identity when it matters most.
              "we (Ravens).never committed to running the ball at all, we only ran when we were forced to."
              That quote says it all.

Thank you, 21&500!

This is your textbook, fellas. Study it, know it. This is how you approach the Chiefs.
              Be patient on offense. Both the 49ers and Ravens were very close. They went away from the plan briefly... and it cost them.
              You do not attack the Chiefs from the air. Their pressure and strong secondary will make you pay.
              Attack Tranquill wherever he lines up. Make their CB's scrape and tackle. The passing game will be prediacted off play-action.

Attack the Chiefs offense with disguised blitzes... make MaHommes uncomfortable and make them turn the ball over.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                That quote says it all.

They moved away from the running game because the KC offense got up quickly on them, with a two score lead.
                That would have taken huge brass balls to stick with the running game there.

Having said that, Jackson looked like a ton of crap when the team became 1 - dimensional.

A Baltimore Raven team with Herbert at QB?

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Thank you, 21&500!

This is your textbook, fellas. Study it, know it. This is how you approach the Chiefs.
                  Be patient on offense. Both the 49ers and Ravens were very close. They went away from the plan briefly... and it cost them.
                  You do not attack the Chiefs from the air. Their pressure and strong secondary will make you pay.
                  Attack Tranquill wherever he lines up. Make their CB's scrape and tackle. The passing game will be prediacted off play-action.

Attack the Chiefs offense with disguised blitzes... make MaHommes uncomfortable and make them turn the ball over.
                  I don't disagree. I would add the we don't need any major change on O vs KC Herbert threw for 2 W's an L in OT, 4 L's by 3 or less. 1 L by 14 pts in 6 games
                  We don't finish well. 3rd quarters were dismal and left us needing big plays by Herbert.
                  I'd do what we always do early, that put us in the game and add more ground, ball control in the 2nd half.
                  And we gotta play some not-Staley D. Excited to see Minter & co in action.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I'm not upset about it

I'm actually excited to see what Roman can do. I think he will learn from past mistakes. I can see an offense very similar to 2004-2006 under Cam Cameron that was very balanced, obviously without the services of LT but we will lean on the run game but probably more 50/50.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see some random games where Herbert only throws it 15 times if the run game is simply leaning on the other team.
                    I think Roman was to a degree the fall guy for a QB that can't play NFL QB and lack of any good receivers. One dimensional teams get beat, period. Always. Whether that dimension is run or pass. I think John knew it was not all Roman's fault and likely told him. He also told Jim that Roman is a great coach but public relations forced him to let him go. John would not advise Jim to hire a coach he thought was going to fail.

in the Harbaugh house, Family is #1. They do not fuck each other. They will try and beat each other in any contest but they will never ever fuck each other. John told Jim that Roman is a great coach.

JH2 are going to build a complete NFL offense. They will not rely on just pass and will not rely on just run. Chargers have been unable to run for years, they are going to fix that - that does not mean that is the only thing they will do. Folks leap a little too far when processing their statements about run game imo and assume probably a tad bit too much based on Roman's offense with Jackson. he is a good running QB and poor passing QB.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Thank you, 21&500!

The irony here is that both offenses had a running game.
                      What was Baltimore to do when they were down by 2 scores early?

What was San Fran to do when they couldn't get the running game going?

Sure, run the football and be balanced;
                      but force the Chiefs to cover the entire football field to be a more effective running team.

You won't be doing that with Herbert and an auxillary of backups on most football teams.
                      You won't be doing that with the noodle armed Jackson/Purdy and a stout group of pass catchers.

Get interior players that don't crap in their pants when Spags throws another pass rusher from a new angle at them.
                      That means get a guard who knows what he's doing out there; don't draft Fuaga or Fautanu and stick them at guard.
                      IF you draft those guys early, you still need another guard/center .... devote you entire draft to the Oline?

Absolutely, not!

If you have a chance at Harrison Jr., race to the podium! Match him up against one of their midget cbs that Spags loves to run out there.
                      Force Spags to give them safety help, and then go after Nick Bolton, or good God, Leon Chenal, who will be more exposed underneath.

Run receivers into open spaces left by blitzers at least once every blue moon.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

In 2004, Marty Schottenheimer had to rebuild the offensive line, and he did it without using a selection in the 1rst and 2nd round.

The 2003 Charger offensive line was craptastic: Macintosh, Garmon, Ball, Bogle, Van Buren .... who remembers Phil Bogle?
                        It needed a complete overhaul, unlike last year's Oline.

Marty brought in Goff, and then drafted Hardwick in the 3rd round, and Olivea in the 7th.
                        I believe they also spent an additional 7th on an OT from U. of Miami who didn't work out.

They traded for the vet Roman Oben that summer, giving Tampa a 2005 5th.

No need to panic this draft. Know what you need and bring in a crafty vet who will become available after the draft to stabilize the younger players.

Telesco/Staley violated every basic rule of building an offensive line.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Trivea question: Who was the most savvy guard signed by Telesco during the last 11 years?

Who was the most savvy interior player signed who lasted more than 2 seasons with the Chargers?

Comment

Working...
                          X