• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBad
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

What Separates Mahomes

Fans of EVERY team constantly talk about making the O-line elite. It's very similar to baseball fans saying"go get pitching" year after year. The problem is that elite pitching and elite line play is hard to come by and rarely lasts.
    No matter the greatness of the line EVERY QB gets pressured. What makes Mahomes and Brady before him special is sack avoidance when pressured. The solution is a combination of things. Pre-snap identification of the blitz, sliding protection, scheme(pressure handling packages), QB mobility, no open targets, not throwing the ball away etc. Obviously, pressures are not all the same there are some no QB escapes however look at this and understand how ELITE Mahomes is at this. Herbert has been really good at this but last year took a step back. The line wasn't great and late game blitz pick up was horrible.

This has to be a huge priority for Harbaugh co. and Herbert.

Some Notes:

Herbert's worst season would beat Burrow's best. If Burrow doesn't fix this he may never stay healthy.
    Brady at his advanced age and no running ability was rediculous.

image.png

image.png
  • AK47
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
    Herbert's numbers are between Mahommes and Brady (way lower pressure rate than Herbert). Give the kid a defense and let him cook brisket.

Comment

• SuperChargeD2000
      Banned
      • Feb 2024
      • Send PM

Well he has never blown a 27 point lead in the playoffs so that is the first thing you can point out.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

When the chips are down he almost always makes the right play. Last 2 super bowls he took off running at a critical point. He's a better passer than the running qbs and a more instinctual runner as well. He also gets better as the game goes on. Quick learner

like @wu_dai clan keeps saying, you can't give him the ball last.

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2020
          • Send PM

Simple: Andy Reid. Does anyone really think if you put Mahomes on the Dolphins that he would win a Super Bowl? Or on the Chargers? In fact, had the Chargers drafted Mahomes, does Mahomes win like this? No -- just like he didn't really win at Texas Tech. He plays in a perfect scheme -- and a coach that makes his reads and life extremely easy -- and has the ultimate security blanket in Kelce (who, to his credit, has been amazingly healthy) when things breakdown.

One last thing: he probably has the best OL in football -- or rather an offensive line that avoids quite a few holding calls. I am not being churlish when I say that I watch Chiefs tape and see significant holds -- that should be called -- on just about every offensive series. That helps.

Comment

• BigBad
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Sack Avoidance is VITAL:

image.png

Comment

• Go Chargers go
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2023
              • Send PM

Oline

Comment

• BigBad
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post

One last thing: he probably has the best OL in football -- or rather an offensive line that avoids quite a few holding calls. I am not being churlish when I say that I watch Chiefs tape and see significant holds -- that should be called -- on just about every offensive series. That helps.
                He's had more pressure than Burrow and everyone thinks the Bengals line is trash.

My point is that If you swapped QBs Mahomes would take WAY LESS sacks on the Bengals. It is a QB skill, and he's the best. In Mahomes first year playing he was pressured at an insane 33.8% and threw 50TDs that year.

Mahomes yearly % dropbacks pressured:
                Burrow yearly % dropbacks pressured:
                ​

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

He's had more pressure than Burrow and everyone thinks the Bengals line is trash.

My point is that If you swapped QBs Mahomes would take WAY LESS sacks on the Bengals. It is a QB skill, and he's the best. In Mahomes first year playing he was pressured at an insane 33.8% and threw 50TDs that year.

Mahomes yearly % dropbacks pressured:
                  Burrow yearly % dropbacks pressured:
                  Yeah, it's not the OL. Mahomes knows how to avoid sacks. Throws it away or takes off.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
                    Simple: Andy Reid. Does anyone really think if you put Mahomes on the Dolphins that he would win a Super Bowl? Or on the Chargers? In fact, had the Chargers drafted Mahomes, does Mahomes win like this? No -- just like he didn't really win at Texas Tech. He plays in a perfect scheme -- and a coach that makes his reads and life extremely easy -- and has the ultimate security blanket in Kelce (who, to his credit, has been amazingly healthy) when things breakdown.

Andy Reid didn't win any Super Bowls before Mahomes. Now he has three.

It doesn't make me happy to say it, but Mahomes is the best in the NFL right now.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

F Mahomes.

Once Niners Dre Greenlaw went down with the Achilles, Oren Burks filled in for him in coverage.

9 targets and 9 catches allowed including a TD.
                      134.7 passer rating when targeted
                      32.1 PFF coverage grade

And don’t get me started on why the F Shanahan abandoned the run when they couldn’t stop McCaffrey. Coaching malpractice there.

Comment

• SuperChargeD2000
                        Banned
                        • Feb 2024
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                        F Mahomes.

Once Niners Dre Greenlaw went down with the Achilles, Oren Burks filled in for him in coverage.

9 targets and 9 catches allowed including a TD.
                        134.7 passer rating when targeted
                        32.1 PFF coverage grade

And don’t get me started on why the F Shanahan abandoned the run when they couldn’t stop McCaffrey. Coaching malpractice there.
                        I agree with DerwinBosa the dude is awesome you're just being a hater if you can't accept that. Dude has 3 SBs okay end of story best QB since Brady you take off the powder blue colored glasses you will see that crystal clear. Losers make excuses and winners go out there and win. Chargers need to have this attitude to be winners.

Comment

Working...
                        X