• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northerner
    Charger fan since '79
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Herbert started to get a better feel this season on when to take off and run and take the 5-10 open yards in front of him, instead of trying to force a pass.

the great "pass first, but can run second" QB's all have this instinct. Mahomes is a master at it.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
      F Mahomes.

Once Niners Dre Greenlaw went down with the Achilles, Oren Burks filled in for him in coverage.

9 targets and 9 catches allowed including a TD.
      134.7 passer rating when targeted
      32.1 PFF coverage grade

And don’t get me started on why the F Shanahan abandoned the run when they couldn’t stop McCaffrey. Coaching malpractice there.

Here's a look at the 49ers three third-quarter drives while up by one possession:
      • Pass-Pass-Pass-Punt
      • Pass-Pass-Pass-Punt
      • Run-Pass-Pass-Punt

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Here's a look at the 49ers three third-quarter drives while up by one possession:
        • Pass-Pass-Pass-Punt
        • Pass-Pass-Pass-Punt
        • Run-Pass-Pass-Punt
        With that first pass, pass, pass i was going wtf?

He forgot that Brock Purdy is not Dan Marino.

Any 3rd and 8 + and Purdy is useless - might as well punt.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

I'll repeat what I said elsewhere: Mahomes sees the field better than any qb.

That and having Andy Reid as the OC.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Yeah, it's not the OL. Mahomes knows how to avoid sacks. Throws it away or takes off.
            One of those throws, to no one over linebackers before getting hit should have been grounding.

Mahomes gets away with that more than anyone .... surprised they called it once.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Good info. What are those numbers for Lamar?

Mahomes had the benefit of going to a team that was already a really good team. They were in the playoffs every year with Alex Smith. Andy Reid's offensive system is top notch and annually ranks near the top in easy throws, wide receiver separation, and YAC. Now he has a top 3 defense on top of all that.

For my money Josh Allen is the best QB in the NFL & the modern Peyton Manning. Brady got all the rings & played on better teams but Manning was a literal 1 man army. Allen does more with less & can beat you in more ways. Mahomes may scramble for some yards but Allen not only makes every throw but he is the Bills best rushing threat and 90% of their short yardage offense. He literally runs guys over.

QB EPA rankings: https://www.nfeloapp.com/qb-rankings/

I would put Lamar up there for that reason but he has problems reading defenses and accuracy.

I'm excited to see what some of these younger QBs can do. Stroud is really talented and Anthony Richardson showed some totally freakish traits before he got injured.

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

WOW I didnt realize dak and tua were that bad. I get the feeling burrow is looking for the big play and holding onto the ball. but mahomes...no matter how you slice it...he's elite and clutch. one way to NOT lose a SB is to not go up by 10 on mahomes. when you start getting to be that good the refs will start calling shit in your favor

Comment

• AKFlyFisher
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Andy Reid didn't win any Super Bowls before Mahomes. Now he has three.

It doesn't make me happy to say it, but Mahomes is the best in the NFL right now.
                  Reid learned from those failings, and has a GM now that built the team he needs. He was a winner -- SB or not -- before he arrived.

Also, Mahomes avoids pressure because, if you watch, pressure comes from one side and he always has a way out. Herbert doesn't have that luxury. Burrow does not either. It does come down to the OL creating that space so that the QB can consistently run.

Again, Mahomes didn't win in college. I say this: does anyone really think Mahomes plays like this behind Herbert's line? Better yet, that he wins SBs? No way. Reid's schemes are not just making reads easy, it recognizes how Mahomes likes to escape, and it is built in there accordingly.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
                    Fans of EVERY team constantly talk about making the O-line elite. It's very similar to baseball fans saying"go get pitching" year after year. The problem is that elite pitching and elite line play is hard to come by and rarely lasts.
                    No matter the greatness of the line EVERY QB gets pressured. What makes Mahomes and Brady before him special is sack avoidance when pressured. The solution is a combination of things. Pre-snap identification of the blitz, sliding protection, scheme(pressure handling packages), QB mobility, no open targets, not throwing the ball away etc. Obviously, pressures are not all the same there are some no QB escapes however look at this and understand how ELITE Mahomes is at this. Herbert has been really good at this but last year took a step back. The line wasn't great and late game blitz pick up was horrible.

This has to be a huge priority for Harbaugh co. and Herbert.

Some Notes:

Herbert's worst season would beat Burrow's best. If Burrow doesn't fix this he may never stay healthy.
                    Brady at his advanced age and no running ability was rediculous.

image.png

image.png
                    A couple of things, he has a really good coach who is not caught off guard all the time from pressure.

Also Myhommy has the uncanny ability that the refs will shove their flags deep in their pockets and refuse to call holding in crucial times. This lets the O line do what ever they want to make sure the D does not get to him. This is an ability that cannot be understated. Brady had that, John Elway had that.

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

Also Myhommy has the uncanny ability that the refs will shove their flags deep in their pockets and refuse to call holding in crucial times. This lets the O line do what ever they want to make sure the D does not get to him. This is an ability that cannot be understated. Brady had that, John Elway had that.
                      Mahommes has a LB running him down and nobody open. 4th down right? Nope his target drew the flag.

Makes me wonder if the target somehow knows to bail out Mahommes by peeking back at los, changing directions, get the defender's hands stuck on their jersey, oh and have the ref watching the whole play through.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Birmingham AL
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Mahommes has a LB running him down and nobody open. 4th down right? Nope his target drew the flag.

Makes me wonder if the target somehow knows to bail out Mahommes by peeking back at los, changing directions, get the defender's hands stuck on their jersey, oh and have the ref watching the whole play through.
                        Its not just getting the calls but the non calls as well.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                          Let's do this!
                          • Aug 2022
                          • Raleigh N. Carolina
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Andy Reid didn't win any Super Bowls before Mahomes. Now he has three.

It doesn't make me happy to say it, but Mahomes is the best in the NFL right now.
                          This.

Comment

Working...
                          X