• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

To a point, I have seen many Vipers that make the fastest Plaids look like they are stuck in park. What people can do with them is just ridiculous. EV's are like motorcycles in that they are faster than ICE cars.......until they're not. No EV's will touch ICE cars set up for 1/4 mile racing, same with drag bikes.

I think we’ve been comparing production vehicles. Stock Viper is 3.5 0-60 while Model S Plaid is 2 with a top speed of 200.

Is the heavily customized Viper you posted even street legal and how many 100’s of thousands would it cost?

and, oh yeah, does it come with a 4 year end to end warranty? 😂

Comment

• SBbound
      Casual fanatic
      • Feb 2019
      • Merced/San Diego
      • Send PM

Apples and oranges.
      We're all different, for fun cars I prefer a naturally aspirated top down machine.
      (although I'll be looking at a turbo later today)

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

I think we’ve been comparing production vehicles. Stock Viper is 3.5 0-60 while Model S Plaid is 2 with a top speed of 200.

Is the heavily customized Viper you posted even street legal and how many 100’s of thousands would it cost?

and, oh yeah, does it come with a 4 year end to end warranty? 😂
        I was comparing EV vs. ICE. That was my point when I said that EV's are faster....until they are not. You can only go so far with an EV. It was the platform, not stock anything. Same with motorcycles.

Most of those Vipers have outlived their warranty as they are 2016, 17 models, also if you can afford to sup them up like that, you probably are not worried about a warranty.

IMHO this is the greatest performance/super car America has ever made. The Viper ACR went around the world crushing lap records at the most famous and prestigious tracks all over.

Comment

• AK47
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Leaked documents show the about to be released new Model 3 performance has a staggering 617 HP between the two motors, so about 115 HP more than the old one.

Should be sub 3 sec 0-60 but also a nice improvement is peak power has been extended from the 40’s to 60 mph range.
          I'm really content with my 2019. Way more power than I need. I mean I'm pulling 1+G accelerating forward every other day on an open stretch of road. That said those numbers on the new MP3 are really impressive.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

I was comparing EV vs. ICE. That was my point when I said that EV's are faster....until they are not. You can only go so far with an EV. It was the platform, not stock anything. Same with motorcycles.

Most of those Vipers have outlived their warranty as they are 2016, 17 models, also if you can afford to sup them up like that, you probably are not worried about a warranty.

IMHO this is the greatest performance/super car America has ever made. The Viper ACR went around the world crushing lap records at the most famous and prestigious tracks all over.

The limit for EV’s hasn’t been met and once again, you are comparing apples to oranges if they aren’t production.

Next year Elon said the production roadster will break 1 second 0-60 which is twice as fast as a Plaid. That could mean the quarter mile is less than 5 seconds and comes with a warranty. LOL

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

The limit for EV’s hasn’t been met and once again, you are comparing apples to oranges if they aren’t production.

Next year Elon said the production roadster will break 1 second 0-60 which is twice as fast as a Plaid. That could mean the quarter mile is less than 5 seconds and comes with a warranty. LOL
              Well I was responding to your general claim "The instant torque on demand is an adrenaline rush unmatched in ICE vehicles" Your comment was not specific to stock vehicles but to EV and ICE generally so I was responding in general.

With regards to the faster car? Ill believe it when I see it.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                Let's do this!
                • Aug 2022
                • Raleigh N. Carolina
                • Send PM

About 10 years ago, I dated a lady that worked on a commercial with a Tesla in it and got to drive a prototype, that it was hands down, the quickest car I've ever driven (by a lot.)

No ICE can match the spin up rate of an EV.

Look for more Teslas wrapped around trees in 2025

Comment

• ThatSinkingFeeling
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post
                  About 10 years ago, I dated a lady that worked on a commercial with a Tesla in it and got to drive a prototype, that it was hands down, the quickest car I've ever driven (by a lot.)

No ICE can match the spin up rate of an EV.

Look for more Teslas wrapped around trees in 2025
                  I have Tesla Model 3 and the force with which it accelerates is crazy. I rarely need to use the power it holds, but when needed it's a blast! it does come with a chill mode that makes it far more like an ordinary car, though.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ThatSinkingFeeling View Post

I have Tesla Model 3 and the force with which it accelerates is crazy. I rarely need to use the power it holds, but when needed it's a blast! it does come with a chill mode that makes it far more like an ordinary car, though.
                    I put my 2023 MY in chill mode about 3 hours after I picked it up - haven't changed since then (2 months later). Acceleration even in chill mode is more than enough for anything you might encounter in daily driving . . . . . . . I get in my wife's 2015 Outback (V6) once in a while - what used to feel relatively refined now feels like shit . . . . . . electric cars most definitely spoil you

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

I'm not sure that's possible - even for an electric supercar, but if it is make damn sure the front tires are pointed straight before you mash the pedal . . . . . . . . . ! A 5 second car - holy shit . . . .

Comment

• RTPbolt
                        Charger Fan till the end
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Carolina
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Do you have a hardtop, being that you don't drive top-down anymore?

The thing about those old British roadsters is that they were easy to work on. You could tear them down and put them back together in a day. One of roadsters was a '64 Triumph TR4. It had a mechanical fuel pump. It worked fine at sea level. But if I drove it into the mountains, above say 3,000 feet, the fuel line would vapor lock. I had to get out of the car, get on the ground and reach underneath to pull off the fuel line then suck on it to get the gas flowing again.
                        Funny you mention Triumphs….my Dad had a 66 Triumph 4A IRS that i grew up in the El Cajon area….i remember as a kid being in the non-existent rear seat that only a 6 yr old could fit into driving up in the mountsins. Moved to norcal up in the sierra nevadas in Placerville where it sat on the side of the house to become a home for mice in the exhaust system. I rebuilt the engine and got it back on the road when I went back to San Diego and drove it on weekends. Fun old car…bandaids to keep her going but its where my sports car love started. Gave it back to my Dad when i moved to NC. Bought a 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe first year they came out but sold it when i had too many kids…that was a fun car. Now back to a true two seater Cayman is light years in handling and power better than the prior cars. Its not about straight line speed….the handling is where its just amazing fun. Sure the electrics are nuts in straight line but mid engine sub 3000 lb car with 310 hp ive never had so much fun driving in my life. Its what works for pressing my buttons.

Great thread! Fun to hear peoples history based on their cars.

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post

Funny you mention Triumphs….my Dad had a 66 Triumph 4A IRS that i grew up in the El Cajon area….i remember as a kid being in the non-existent rear seat that only a 6 yr old could fit into driving up in the mountsins. Moved to norcal up in the sierra nevadas in Placerville where it sat on the side of the house to become a home for mice in the exhaust system. I rebuilt the engine and got it back on the road when I went back to San Diego and drove it on weekends. Fun old car…bandaids to keep her going but its where my sports car love started. Gave it back to my Dad when i moved to NC. Bought a 2004 Infiniti G35 coupe first year they came out but sold it when i had too many kids…that was a fun car. Now back to a true two seater Cayman is light years in handling and power better than the prior cars. Its not about straight line speed….the handling is where its just amazing fun. Sure the electrics are nuts in straight line but mid engine sub 3000 lb car with 310 hp ive never had so much fun driving in my life. Its what works for pressing my buttons.

Great thread! Fun to hear peoples history based on their cars.
                          I loved my TR4, with all it's torqueiness. The inline 4 cyl engines in those early TRs have an interesting history, they evolved from a motor developed for WWII, a variant was used in Ferguson tractors. My '64 was not an A nor did have the IRS (Independent Rear Suspension).

Comment

Working...
                          X