• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I NEVER drive with any radio/music. (unless I'm on a road trip). I love hearing the sounds of going through the gears and building up RPM. Very soothing.
    AGREED . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We live in an area with old windy blacktop, 4000 ft in the Sierras. I bough a Subaru Forester for my wife. Decent in all respects. The AWD is exceptional. Well worth having. I've had a lot of 4WDs and it's just not the same on snow and ice.
      Scarily similar situations - I'm in the San Jacinto mountains above Palm Springs, 4600 ft elev, GREAT roads for driving. I too bought my wife a Subaru (Outlander), and the AWD is outstanding - it's a great snow / ice car. It's funny - everyone in our little community up here has either a Subaru or a Jeep. The first year up here my wife had her Accord and I had a Mustang (we were flatlanders). Very first snowstorm of the year I got stuck in the Mustang coming home from work about 5 miles downhill from home. Nothing like a high powered rear wheel drive manual car for gettin' through a snowstorm . Highway Patrol came by in their SUV's and rescued all of us idiots on the hill.

I bought the Subaru 2 weeks later - suffice it to say we have now adjusted to mountain living . . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Those are imo....very ugly. Im just not ready for an electric vehicle craze. May never buy one but you never know. Ive been intriqued by the self driving car but i think it will be years and years before those are perfected and its a regular thing. Ill likely be dead by then.

These are monsters in real life. You don't really feel the size until you're standing next to one - reminds me of the original Hummers in that respect. The looks are not for me but there's no denying that they make a statement . . . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Scarily similar situations - I'm in the San Jacinto mountains above Palm Springs, 4600 ft elev, GREAT roads for driving. I too bought my wife a Subaru (Outlander), and the AWD is outstanding - it's a great snow / ice car. It's funny - everyone in our little community up here has either a Subaru or a Jeep. The first year up here my wife had her Accord and I had a Mustang (we were flatlanders). Very first snowstorm of the year I got stuck in the Mustang coming home from work about 5 miles downhill from home. Nothing like a high powered rear wheel drive manual car for gettin' through a snowstorm . Highway Patrol came by in their SUV's and rescued all of us idiots on the hill.

I bought the Subaru 2 weeks later - suffice it to say we have now adjusted to mountain living . . . . . . . . . . . .
          I used chains on a RWD PU with a shell and a lot of tools in the back for several years but 4WD and AWD are easier. Though I did get good at chaining up.
          4WD need studs for glare ice but the AWD seems to manage fine with M&S tires in good shape if we go slow.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
            Anybody have one of these? Ran into one in the wild for the first time - yesterday across the street from me. I thought they were all sold with the stainless steel finish. It is massive. They weigh almost 7,000 lbs fully loaded, 2-1/2 times my Prius.

429880009_7948636561832252_7480256698369669605_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=yPZLaevO6dMAX_6vAM3&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-1.fna&oh=00_AfAMmtPeV50uppbo5voVYF_vjU39xe9duvrS05LR-MkMbw&oe=65F13DCE.jpg
            Yes, i have one. That’s a black matte colored wrap and the color I would get if I do wrap it. Looks fantastic. Factory standard is stainless steel which withstands everything from shopping carts to bullets but not fingerprints. And since there’s no door handles, lots of fingerprints are inevitable. That’s why so many are getting wraps.

Someone else said it’s ugly. No question it’s polarizing but my experience is it gets mobbed everywhere, particularly by young people and they dig the futuristic look.

It’s got 4 wheel steer by wire that makes a shorter turning ration than my sedan. As fast as a 911 and has FSD. FSD is much closer than those that haven’t been following it closely think. The new 12 release is entirely based on the neural network and eliminated explicit coding. A simple explanation is prior versions would see an object and require an If…then…tree of possible actions. That’s been replaced by camera in, action out, based on what all the other cars did when they saw the same thing.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
              Let's do this!
              • Aug 2022
              • Raleigh N. Carolina
              • Send PM

AGREED . . . . . . . . . . .
              I can't drive around the block without tunes. Been that way for 40 years.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

I used chains on a RWD PU with a shell and a lot of tools in the back for several years but 4WD and AWD are easier. Though I did get good at chaining up.
                4WD need studs for glare ice but the AWD seems to manage fine with M&S tires in good shape if we go slow.
                I was an (uneducated) idiot who didn't have chains . . . . . . . . . . . . so now I have a Subaru, with chains, blankets, road flares, cell phone charger, emergency jump start battery, etc.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

I was an (uneducated) idiot who didn't have chains . . . . . . . . . . . . so now I have a Subaru, with chains, blankets, road flares, cell phone charger, emergency jump start battery, etc.
                  Good choices! You can't prepare for everything but getting the majority ups your odds considerably. And slow down. There are scars on big trees at the outside of corners going downhill from our place where people hit repeatedly. Going slow beats waiting for a tow truck.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Yes, i have one. That’s a black matte colored wrap and the color I would get if I do wrap it. Looks fantastic. Factory standard is stainless steel which withstands everything from shopping carts to bullets but not fingerprints. And since there’s no door handles, lots of fingerprints are inevitable. That’s why so many are getting wraps.

Someone else said it’s ugly. No question it’s polarizing but my experience is it gets mobbed everywhere, particularly by young people and they dig the futuristic look.

It’s got 4 wheel steer by wire that makes a shorter turning ration than my sedan. As fast as a 911 and has FSD. FSD is much closer than those that haven’t been following it closely think. The new 12 release is entirely based on the neural network and eliminated explicit coding. A simple explanation is prior versions would see an object and require an If…then…tree of possible actions. That’s been replaced by camera in, action out, based on what all the other cars did when they saw the same thing.
                    It’s fun having an incognito fast car. Driving around in my Durango and it can smoke all but the top super cars. It’s funny getting reactions from people when the unexpected happens.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

It’s fun having an incognito fast car. Driving around in my Durango and it can smoke all but the top super cars. It’s funny getting reactions from people when the unexpected happens.
                      A friend bought a Rivian RT1 PU. He says he hasn't put his accelerator foot on the floor but the book on it is 110.8, 11.6 sec in the 1/4 mi. That's muscle car numbers.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Here's one of the five Mustangs I owned in the 1970s-80s. This one was a '69 with a 302. This was 1973 or 74, that is me with the bandages on my hand, I was 16 or 17. I was a busboy at a local restaurant and was learning to be a line cook, when I burned my hands changing the oil in a deep fryer.

9-2-2013 12-9-4_001.jpg
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

A friend bought a Rivian RT1 PU. He says he hasn't put his accelerator foot on the floor but the book on it is 110.8, 11.6 sec in the 1/4 mi. That's muscle car numbers.
                          All electric vehicles are probably faster than my Challenger. Id get smoked by a Tesla model 3 but that's ok. Mine sounds better and I don't race it anyways.

Comment

Working...
                          X