Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

The MX-5/Miata is absolutely EVERYthing that those early 60's Triumphs, and Sunbeams, and Austin Healys, and MGs were trying to be, but with actual reliable electrical systems and all of these advantages of being built by a major manufacturer. Mazda did it right with this car in just about every way possible.

And I have had too many skin cancers on my hairline to do any daytime driving with the top down anymore.
    My '91 Miata handled better than any of those '60s British roadsters I had.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I had a '93 that I bought new, and it was my daily driver for *20* years. Of the first 50K miles I put on the car, I'm sure 45K of them were with the top down.

It definitely put all of the 60's British two-seaters to shame in about every way possible. Superior handling, and better power. Frequency of Repair is miniscule, compared to its forebears.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Well, you know how sneaky those Japanese are. LOL

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

I had a '93 that I bought new, and it was my daily driver for *20* years. Of the first 50K miles I put on the car, I'm sure 45K of them were with the top down.

It definitely put all of the 60's British two-seaters to shame in about every way possible. Superior handling, and better power. Frequency of Repair is miniscule, compared to its forebears.
          Do you have a hardtop, being that you don't drive top-down anymore?

The thing about those old British roadsters is that they were easy to work on. You could tear them down and put them back together in a day. One of roadsters was a '64 Triumph TR4. It had a mechanical fuel pump. It worked fine at sea level. But if I drove it into the mountains, above say 3,000 feet, the fuel line would vapor lock. I had to get out of the car, get on the ground and reach underneath to pull off the fuel line then suck on it to get the gas flowing again.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Well, you know how sneaky those Japanese are. LOL
            We live in an area with old windy blacktop, 4000 ft in the Sierras. I bough a Subaru Forester for my wife. Decent in all respects. The AWD is exceptional. Well worth having. I've had a lot of 4WDs and it's just not the same on snow and ice.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Do you have a hardtop, being that you don't drive top-down anymore?.
              Yep. I have a retractable hardtop. (like the one, below. Except, mine's gunmetal gray.) I go for the occasion top down drive at night.

image.png

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

We live in an area with old windy blacktop, 4000 ft in the Sierras. I bough a Subaru Forester for my wife. Decent in all respects. The AWD is exceptional. Well worth having. I've had a lot of 4WDs and it's just not the same on snow and ice.
                Do you live in Sonora? In my above post about my Triumph vapor-locking at elevation, it happened on summer trips up to Twain Harte in 1974. We had friends with a cabin there, and my 17-year-old self was trying to make it with a chica I met at the little lake where young people hung out in the summer there.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Send PM

This thread got me looking through some old photos. I had '65 Ford Galaxie 500 for a time, back when halter tops were everywhere.

Attached Files

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Anybody have one of these? Ran into one in the wild for the first time - yesterday across the street from me. I thought they were all sold with the stainless steel finish. It is massive. They weigh almost 7,000 lbs fully loaded, 2-1/2 times my Prius.

429880009_7948636561832252_7480256698369669605_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=yPZLaevO6dMAX_6vAM3&_nc_ht=scontent.fsac1-1.fna&oh=00_AfAMmtPeV50uppbo5voVYF_vjU39xe9duvrS05LR-MkMbw&oe=65F13DCE.jpg
                    Those are imo....very ugly. Im just not ready for an electric vehicle craze. May never buy one but you never know. Ive been intriqued by the self driving car but i think it will be years and years before those are perfected and its a regular thing. Ill likely be dead by then.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

This thread got me looking through some old photos. I had '65 Ford Galaxie 500 for a time, back when halter tops were everywhere.
                      Those things were Cabin Cruisers! Any friend who had one, we called it The Queen Mary. (Which isn't a Cabin Cruiser, but the whole boat thing applies.)

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Those are imo....very ugly. Im just not ready for an electric vehicle craze. May never buy one but you never know. Ive been intriqued by the self driving car but i think it will be years and years before those are perfected and its a regular thing. Ill likely be dead by then.
                        I like it! I'm a Batman and Sci-fi buff and would love to have it but I cannot afford it. Nothing like having a cyber truck blow away a Porsche in 0-100 MPH. People say it was modeled after a Lotus esprit but to me it looks like something Batman would drive especially with the Black Skin applied over the stainless. Also, it looks like something Harrison Ford would be driving in Blade Runner world. Psychological Affiliation for me... LOL!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Do you live in Sonora? In my above post about my Triumph vapor-locking at elevation, it happened on summer trips up to Twain Harte in 1974. We had friends with a cabin there, and my 17-year-old self was trying to make it with a chica I met at the little lake where young people hung out in the summer there.
                          Cedar Ridge specifically. We have a private lake, Stanislaus National Forest a few blocks away. Twain Harte is nearby.

Comment

Working...
                          X