How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Tyler Boyd would be a good addition for the Chargers. Currently the WR has little veteran leadership. Tyler Boyd would provide that, he's an accomplished WR who as a #1 WR had back to back 1,000+ yard seasons with Andy Dalton at QB. Doesn't preclude the Chargers from using their 1st or 2nd pick on a WR, and from drafting another WR later in the draft. The Chargers need a veteran in the WR room. Boyd is a good choice.

The Chargers have been a team tabbed to potentially get help in the free agent market since trading Keenan Allen.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post

We have multiple recent first round picks on the line. Do we really need more first round picks on the O-line or do we mostly need the better coaching?

Is it not harder to evaluate and hit on premium offensive lineman? I definitely recall guys like Tony Mandarich and Robert Gallery but I do not recall a WR that was hyped to the level of those guys that ended up busting as hard as they did. Sure there have been plenty of WR busts, but not absolute top of the draft generational prospects wide receivers that were total trash as pros......maybe some one can recall some example and call me out, please do. It would make me feel better if we actually do pass on the opportunity.
      Corey Davis comes to mind. He set all those records in college and was hampered by injuries in NFL.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

We have multiple recent first round picks on the line. Do we really need more first round picks on the O-line or do we mostly need the better coaching?

Is it not harder to evaluate and hit on premium offensive lineman? I definitely recall guys like Tony Mandarich and Robert Gallery but I do not recall a WR that was hyped to the level of those guys that ended up busting as hard as they did. Sure there have been plenty of WR busts, but not absolute top of the draft generational prospects wide receivers that were total trash as pros......maybe some one can recall some example and call me out, please do. It would make me feel better if we actually do pass on the opportunity.
        All these guys were top 10 picks. Only 1, MW was #10.

Davis as mentioned, Troy Williamson,Braylon Edwards, Kevin White, Mike Williams (USC) , Charles Rogers, John Ross, David Terrell, Sammy Watkins, Tavon Austin, Justin Blackmon, Darius Heyward-Bey.

There are some others I didn't include that weren't busts but for top 10 picks, they vastly underachieved. .....like Ted Ginn Jr. Pick #9. Long career, but a very below average career for his draft slot.
        Only had 50 or more receptions 3 times in 13 years.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

There have been a number of first round bust WRs. In 2017, Mike Williams was the #7 pick, right? He wasn't even the first WR off the board. The Titans drafted Corey Davis out of Western Michigan at #5. Complete and total bust. At #9, the Bengals drafted John Ross out of Washington. A complete and total bust. Both of these guys were total trash in the NFL. In the 2015 draft, the Bears, #7 overall, WR Kevin White out of West Virginia. Total trash in the NFL. 2013 draft, #8, the Rams, WR Tavon Austin also out of WV. Not total trash in the NFL, but close. 2012 draft, Justin Blackmon, WR out of Okie State, #5 overall to the Jags. Complete and total bust.

Being a "generational talent" WR who is drafted in the top 10 is no guarantee of success in the NFL. Do I think MHJ or Nabers will be disappointments? No I don't. I believe both are exceptional talents. But there have been players with similar accolades coming out of college who fell flat in the pros.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

All these guys were top 10 picks. Only 1, MW was #10.

Davis as mentioned, Troy Williamson,Braylon Edwards, Kevin White, Mike Williams (USC) , Charles Rogers, John Ross, David Terrell, Sammy Watkins, Tavon Austin, Justin Blackmon, Darius Heyward-Bey.

There are some others I didn't include that weren't busts but for top 10 picks, they vastly underachieved. .....like Ted Ginn Jr. Pick #9. Long career, but a very below average career for his draft slot.
            Only had 50 or more receptions 3 times in 13 years.
            I made a similar list. Sammy Watkins was not total trash in the NFL. John Ross, Justin Blackmon, Corey Davis, Kevin White - yes, complete and total busts. Tavon Austin was a major disappointment but not a total failure. Darius Heyward-Bey was way over-drafted by a senile Al Davis.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I made a similar list. Sammy Watkins was not total trash in the NFL. John Ross, Justin Blackmon, Corey Davis, Kevin White - yes, complete and total busts. Tavon Austin was a major disappointment but not a total failure. Darius Heyward-Bey was way over-drafted by a senile Al Davis.
              Austin imo was a bust. Total failure? No but he was a bust at #8. He only had two decent seasons with 50+ seasons.

9 seasons, 244 receptions.
              Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-03-2024, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Anytime you are drafted to 19, you need to be better than those guys. Austin imo was a bust. Total failure? No but he was a bust at #8. He only had two decent seasons with 50+ seasons.

9 seasons, 244 receptions.
                No, I agree. A bust, but not a total failure like some of these guys.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

There have been a number of first round bust WRs. In 2017, Mike Williams was the #7 pick, right? He wasn't even the first WR off the board. The Titans drafted Corey Davis out of Western Michigan at #5. Complete and total bust. At #9, the Bengals drafted John Ross out of Washington. A complete and total bust. Both of these guys were total trash in the NFL. In the 2015 draft, the Bears, #7 overall, WR Kevin White out of West Virginia. Total trash in the NFL. 2013 draft, #8, the Rams, WR Tavon Austin also out of WV. Not total trash in the NFL, but close. 2012 draft, Justin Blackmon, WR out of Okie State, #5 overall to the Jags. Complete and total bust.

Being a "generational talent" WR who is drafted in the top 10 is no guarantee of success in the NFL. Do I think MHJ or Nabers will be disappointments? No I don't. I believe both are exceptional talents. But there have been players with similar accolades coming out of college who fell flat in the pros.
                  LSU is WR U right now. They don't bust.

it's like SC was for RBs back in the day

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

I guess you never heard of Peter Warrick, the fourth overall pick out of Florida State in the 2000 NFL Draft, or Charles Rogers, the second overall pick out of Michigan State in the 2003 NFL Draft.

Desmond Howard was the fourth overall pick out of Michigan in 1992. If you took away his ability to return kicks and punts, he wouldn't have lasted three years in the NFL.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Tyler Boyd would be a good addition for the Chargers. Currently the WR has little veteran leadership. Tyler Boyd would provide that, he's an accomplished WR who as a #1 WR had back to back 1,000+ yard seasons with Andy Dalton at QB. Doesn't preclude the Chargers from using their 1st or 2nd pick on a WR, and from drafting another WR later in the draft. The Chargers need a veteran in the WR room. Boyd is a good choice.

https://chargerswire.usatoday.com/20...boyd-interest/
                      Looks like there's interest being shown.

The Chargers have a huge need at receiver after losing Keenan Allen and Mike Williams and at the right price former Bengal Tyler Boyd would be a great fit. W...

He would be an AFC North familiarity for Hortiz.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I guess you never heard of Peter Warrick, the fourth overall pick out of Florida State in the 2000 NFL Draft, or Charles Rogers, the second overall pick out of Michigan State in the 2003 NFL Draft.

Desmond Howard was the fourth overall pick out of Michigan in 1992. If you took away his ability to return kicks and punts, he wouldn't have lasted three years in the NFL.
                        There are good examples for and against. Not every WR from LSU will be good just because Chase and Jefferson were good

Harrison - he has the pedigree as they say. Nabers seems to be fantastic. I trust JH2

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Looks like there's interest being shown.

The Chargers have a huge need at receiver after losing Keenan Allen and Mike Williams and at the right price former Bengal Tyler Boyd would be a great fit. W...

He would be an AFC North familiarity for Hortiz.
                          After the draft - makes a lot of sense on a one year prove it deal for $5m or thereabouts. Maybe even add a voidable year to alleviate some of the cap for this year but he would still be a FA next year

Key thing - AFTER the draft

Comment

Working...
                          X