How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by RTPbolt View Post
    I forget which video i was watching last week but it spoke about the balancing of the 5 pick for salary cap hit for 1 wr which tends to be a higher paid position than te or other roles. If we can trade back 3-6 spaces and pickup a stud TE like Bowers and another 1 or 2 and pay similar cap hit to the 1 player its got merit to building a talented team of players with better cap control. Bowers may not be a deep type threat but he would be that mismatch threat over the middle tha Allen was in a few ways. Sure id love a potential top WR (none are guaranteed to produce like Chase even though they appear to be as capable) but if i could get 2 positions of the best at their position the odds look better to me of actually hitting on a stud and maybe 2 to fill more than 1 hole. I wish we didnt have the cap issues but that has reallly been a factor in how Harb has to consider the overall picture for rebuilding. I favor a trade down but not too far and if the package is good…minnys 2 firsts id do in a heartbeat but others could also work.
    Pick 5 gets the same salary for whatever possition is drafted there. I see what they are sayng but really thats splitting hairs.

I doubt Jim Harbaugh gives a shit what Bowers is making. He is all for players getting paid and if he wants him and thinks he may lose him, he will draft him @ 5 and that goes for any possition.

Id assume Hortiz would be on board with it. Id seen some say on Twitter that at 5 Bowers will be one of the top paid TEs in the league which is bullshit and lazy research.....actually no research.

But sure , would be nice to get him later and save some cap space but again....if we go WR at 5, still a 5.9 mil cap hit. RT, still a 5.9 mil cap hit. @11, around a 3.6 mil cap hit per Sportrac. Sportrac and OTC differ on this for some reason. OTC is higher.

Maybe one of our Cap followers can explain why but it seems to me Sportrac looks more accurate .

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

https://overthecap.com/draft

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

If we get VIK’s two first round picks, adds up to the the same as the pick at 5 FWIW.

Comment

• Parcells
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Bolded is not true. And how you determine who is a top 5 WR during a season is dependent on what you're basing things on. A lot of WRs around the league think well of KA. Tyreek Hill named Allen a top 5 WR when asked to give his top 5 players at the position. Tyreek Hill who everyone acknowledges how good he is.

Keenan Allen is on par with Mike Evans. Who you think is better between them is a close call. Wes Welker was very good, but he wasn't elite. Same for Edleman, Godwin, and Hernandez. Antonio Brown won when he joined the Bucs in that 2020 season, but by that point he was no longer a number 1 guy.
        I start with the fact that he’s never been an all pro. All sorts of players make the Pro Bowl. It’s in part a fan vote and also related to availability (lots of guys get in after injured players can’t play). Then there’s the fact that there are the AFC and NFC rosters so way more players make the Pro Bowl. But the all pro list is done exclusively by writers who are pretty knowledgeable and you get two first team and two second team all pros. As good as Keenan has been, he’s never been an all pro.

Keenan has had great games and is an all time Charger. I’m not throwing shade on him. But remember the 2021 game against the Vikings in Sofi. Jefferson wrecked us. There was nothing we could do. Then there were games where Tyreek carved us up, first with the Chiefs and then last year in week 1 as a Dolphin. Those games were just more than Keenan has in him.

Again, my point is not to throw shade on Keenan. My point is to say that we have the chance to go grab an ELITE talent at WR. There’s a reason that after QBs, WR is the highest paid position in the NFL.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

I start with the fact that he’s never been an all pro. All sorts of players make the Pro Bowl. It’s in part a fan vote and also related to availability (lots of guys get in after injured players can’t play). Then there’s the fact that there are the AFC and NFC rosters so way more players make the Pro Bowl. But the all pro list is done exclusively by writers who are pretty knowledgeable and you get two first team and two second team all pros. As good as Keenan has been, he’s never been an all pro.

Keenan has had great games and is an all time Charger. I’m not throwing shade on him. But remember the 2021 game against the Vikings in Sofi. Jefferson wrecked us. There was nothing we could do. Then there were games where Tyreek carved us up, first with the Chiefs and then last year in week 1 as a Dolphin. Those games were just more than Keenan has in him.

Again, my point is not to throw shade on Keenan. My point is to say that we have the chance to go grab an ELITE talent at WR. There’s a reason that after QBs, WR is the highest paid position in the NFL.
          Disagree.

Remember how the Chargers took off his rookie year, once K.A. was inserted into the line up?

Remember the 2015 opener against the Chiefs?
          Keenan destroyed the Chief cbs in the first half (100 + yards) and the Chargers had a huge lead.

Then he blew out his knee, the Chiefs came back, and the season went straight down the toilet.

K.A. is not the player he once was, but still is pretty damn good.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Disagree.

Remember how the Chargers took off his rookie year, once K.A. was inserted into the line up?

Remember the 2015 opener against the Chiefs?
            Keenan destroyed the Chief cbs in the first half (100 + yards) and the Chargers had a huge lead.

Then he blew out his knee, the Chiefs came back, and the season went straight down the toilet.

K.A. is not the player he once was, but still is pretty damn good.
            I agree 100 percent, but why do you say he's not the player he once was? Last year was the best season of his career, his receiving yards per game was his best ever, his TD percentage was his best ever, his receptions per game was his best ever, his 72% completion percentage was the third best of his career. He showed no signs of slowing down, except for injuries, which is a detriment, but his play was his personal best and better than all but a few elite WRs in the NFL.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

I don't think Keenan has ever been an elite receiver. I've always had him in the second tier. That's not an insult. He's been very consistent in that second tier, but during his prime years he wasn't up there with the likes of Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Michael Thomas, and DeAndre Hopkins. In recent years Keenan hasn't been up there with Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Ceedee Lamb, and a few others.

Keenan will end up in our Hall of Fame, but I don't see him ever being seriously considered for Canton.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                I don't think Keenan has ever been an elite receiver. I've always had him in the second tier. That's not an insult. He's been very consistent in that second tier, but during his prime years he wasn't up there with the likes of Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Michael Thomas, and DeAndre Hopkins. In recent years Keenan hasn't been up there with Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Davante Adams, Stefon Diggs, Ceedee Lamb, and a few others.

Keenan will end up in our Hall of Fame, but I don't see him ever being seriously considered for Canton.
                Keenan is a different player than all those guys....except maybe Thomas who Imo isnt as good or consistent. . He just played with Brees who threw 650 to 700 passes a year. YPC not great.

Keenan was the fastest to 600 receptions, tied AB for fastest to 700 and fastest to 900 receptions in history.

He just isn't a deep threat.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

1st 4 picks look like QBs. MHJ at 5.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Keenan is a different player than all those guys....except maybe Thomas who Imo isnt as good or consistent. . He just played with Brees who threw 650 to 700 passes a year. YPC not great.

Keenan was the fastest to 600 receptions, tied AB for fastest to 700 and fastest to 900 receptions in history.

He just isn't a deep threat.
                    Keenan is a great possession receiver. I doubt any general manager or head coach would have taken him over any of the receivers I mentioned when they were all in their primes. You can include a few others, such as Mike Evans--who hasn't had the benefit of Philip Rivers and Justin Herbert throwing him the ball for most of his career (he had Brady for three seasons).

I think Keenan is slightly overrated on this forum. Getting shut down completely by Darelle Revis in a key loss to the Patriots in 2014, and disappearing after a long touchdown pass from Rivers in the 2018 playoff loss to New England, always stick out to me whenever someone tries to put Keenan into the elite category.

Comment

• blueman
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                      1st 4 picks look like QBs. MHJ at 5.
                      That’s just sick. 🤪

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I agree 100 percent, but why do you say he's not the player he once was? Last year was the best season of his career, his receiving yards per game was his best ever, his TD percentage was his best ever, his receptions per game was his best ever, his 72% completion percentage was the third best of his career. He showed no signs of slowing down, except for injuries, which is a detriment, but his play was his personal best and better than all but a few elite WRs in the NFL.
                        More big play abilities, much better yac guy.

KA was once a running back .... he's now just a possession receiver, having lost a few steps.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Keenan is a great possession receiver. I doubt any general manager or head coach would have taken him over any of the receivers I mentioned when they were all in their primes. You can include a few others, such as Mike Evans--who hasn't had the benefit of Philip Rivers and Justin Herbert throwing him the ball for most of his career (he had Brady for three seasons).

I think Keenan is slightly overrated on this forum. Getting shut down completely by Darelle Revis in a key loss to the Patriots in 2014, and disappearing after a long touchdown pass from Rivers in the 2018 playoff loss to New England, always stick out to me whenever someone tries to put Keenan into the elite category.
                          Darrell Revis shut down quite a few, even of the All Pro variety.

The 2018 playoff game was lost somewhere during the 2nd quarter - a total defensive collapse.
                          Charger offensive players didn't have a chance.

Comment

Working...
                          X