How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
    ...Draft Malik Nabers...
    Nitrous Oxide for our Offensive engine!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2022
      • White Rock, BC Canada
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

That would a giant leap forward.
      I get that Harbaugh builds through the lines, but he can do that every draft moving forward, and in other rounds this draft. If you stay at 5, take BPA, take the blue chip stud weapon for Herbert the next 8 years while you are in the rare posiion at 5 to get a game changer like that.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Trade no farther than 11 and take Bowers or the WR someone didn't take so as to get Bowers. And I'm sure Harbaugh has WRs he's scouted and likes clear into UDFAs.
        Or, Pick your favorite WR at 5.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
          Trade no farther than 11 and take Bowers or the WR someone didn't take so as to get Bowers. And I'm sure Harbaugh has WRs he's scouted and likes clear into UDFAs.
          Or, Pick your favorite WR at 5.
          Agreed!!!

Comment

• Chargers8491
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2022
            • Send PM

Draft Bowers and pick whatever receiver or two and call it a day. There are going to be some really good wrs that will go undrafted.
            1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
            2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
            2b- #37 Jenkins DT
            3a- #66 Puni OT
            3b- #69 Sainristill CB
            4a- #105 Rice WR
            4b- #110 Lloyd RB
            5- #140 Green CB
            6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

The bigger needs are RT, OC, DT, LB, CB, RB, and TE right now.
              Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I just cannot agree with you that WR is the 8th positional need on team after moving both starting WRs. Right now we have the worst skill positions in the NFL. WR, TE and RB is all pretty bad, Not a sngle reliable pass catcher on the whole offense except for Palmer who is a WR3 on any good offense.

Whether you want to run the ball or not you still have to have the element of a pssing game in the 2024 NFL. Are you going to pay the best arm in the NFL 52 million a year to just hand the ball off??
              If you want to run the ball and protect the QB... then OC and RT are your biggest needs.
              If you want to beat the Chiefs... then DT, LB, and CB are your biggest needs.
              Joshua Palmer and Quentin Johnson fit the Harbaugh/Roman offense. They'll get another good one in Round 2-4.

With the Vikings having pick #11 and pick #23... they have the capital to move to #5 (and the motivation).
              We have many needs... so a trade-back is logical. The Chargers will meet with LB Edgerrin Cooper (who DJ has ranked #23 overall)
              Do what you like @#11 (probably Fuaga or Bowers) but don't expect the 3 WR's to be there.

So the conversation about "how to fix the WR deficiencies" probably needs to start in the 2nd round.
              And there are some very good WR's there. Quite honestly, there will be some very good ones in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Chargers' receivers in 2023:

KA: 108 receptions
                GE: 51 receptions
                JP: 38 receptions
                QJ: 38 receptions

That's 235 receptions to replicate.
                Ravens run/pass ratio was 52/48 last year.
                Chargers run/pass ratio was 40/60 last year.
                I expect the Chargers to be about 45/55 next year. That's a 5% drop in attempts/receptions.
                So let's say you have to replicate 215 receptions.

Is it safe to say both JP and QJ can get 60 receptions next year...? 120 receptions between both...?
                The TE (Hurst + draft pick) probably get 50 receptions in Harbaugh/Roman offense...?
                So that leaves you with about 45 receptions to replicate. Shit 3rd rounder Tank Dell did that in 10 games.

I've got about 7-8 prospects that can do that (rounds 2-5).

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

The drafts two deepest positions this year - WR and OL.

That looks like a solution waiting on our problem.

Nabers and best OT available in 2nd.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                    Let's do this!
                    • Aug 2022
                    • Raleigh N. Carolina
                    • Send PM

While I understand all this talk about being competitive in 24, the harsh reality is that this team has too many holes to fill in a single off-season.

What TT did was borderline criminal and it's going to take a while to dig out.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                      Chargers' receivers in 2023:

KA: 108 receptions
                      GE: 51 receptions
                      JP: 38 receptions
                      QJ: 38 receptions

That's 235 receptions to replicate.
                      Ravens run/pass ratio was 52/48 last year.
                      Chargers run/pass ratio was 40/60 last year.
                      I expect the Chargers to be about 45/55 next year. That's a 5% drop in attempts/receptions.
                      So let's say you have to replicate 215 receptions.

Is it safe to say both JP and QJ can get 60 receptions next year...? 120 receptions between both...?
                      The TE (Hurst + draft pick) probably get 50 receptions in Harbaugh/Roman offense...?
                      So that leaves you with about 45 receptions to replicate. Shit 3rd rounder Tank Dell did that in 10 games.

I've got about 7-8 prospects that can do that (rounds 2-5).
                      I think Quentin Johnston is going to be a better player than most on this forum are willing to believe. A good pre-draft comparison to Johnston last year was Alshon Jeffery, who also struggled as a rookie but took off in his second season. I think 60 receptions for Johnston is a reasonable expectation, since he caught 38 in what was a disappointing rookie season filled with a ton of ridiculousness that culminated in the head coach's firing and the backup quarterback starting the final four games. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Johnston does better than 60 receptions and puts up a 1,000-yard season. And, like you said, there seem to be very capable receivers who will be selected after the first round in this draft.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I think Quentin Johnston is going to be a better player than most on this forum are willing to believe. A good pre-draft comparison to Johnston last year was Alshon Jeffery, who also struggled as a rookie but took off in his second season. I think 60 receptions for Johnston is a reasonable expectation, since he caught 38 in what was a disappointing rookie season filled with a ton of ridiculousness that culminated in the head coach's firing and the backup quarterback starting the final four games. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Johnston does better than 60 receptions and puts up a 1,000-yard season. And, like you said, there seem to be very capable receivers who will be selected after the first round in this draft.
                        If they pretty much stick to what they have now at wide receiver, getting close to 1,000 yards for him is doable, if he doesn't miss any games.
                        He'd still be a #3 type receiver.

Would that be a good thing?

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Yep. 60/60 should get it done. With a good running game, JP and QJ will be a force. JP has gone unnoticed in Keenan's shadow. QJ is the perfect WR for play-action... he'll get deep. He'll run drag routes (like he did against Michigan). He'll be used correctly.

In the end, this will no longer be a finesse team. We're going to smash you in the mouth with the run and burn you deep when you don't expect it.

The best way to beat KC is to harrass MaHommes and make him turn the ball over... not try to beat them at their own game (by passing). Bring Joey and Khalil... get a penetrating DT and monster LB that can blitz. The Chargers have met with (or are meeting with) Trevin Wallace and Edgerrin Cooper. No meeting with Junior Colson... JH knows him well enough.

This will be a tough, physical team. Kiss finesse goodbye. Draft accordingly.

Comment

Working...
                          X