How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cdn Bolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Ontario , Canada
    • Send PM

BAL really liked having 2 TEs. David Andrews was always a top target. I think if Bowers is there they snag him at 11.

I think they will add another WR in FA. Quentin Johnston got rushed into the starting lineup too early and he clearly wasn't ready. I don't think Harbaugh would be confident doing that again and relying on him to be our #1 this year. Maybe OBJ out of familiarity w BAL. Someone who can be an ok #1 until QJ is ready or anyone else they add this yr or next.

I think they will add another WR in the draft too.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I get that Harbaugh builds through the lines, but he can do that every draft moving forward, and in other rounds this draft. If you stay at 5, take BPA, take the blue chip stud weapon for Herbert the next 8 years while you are in the rare posiion at 5 to get a game changer like that.
      This is my plan. If you stay at 5 - get the blockbuster skilled talent

If you trade down - still might be able to get talent but you are also building up more of your roster

Like you said, there are other rounds to build "infrastructure" - they can get an elite player for Herbert

That said - I trust Hortiz will find a WR in free agency and probably will draft one or two.

I know it seems like a lot the Chargers are losing but if MW is not on the field, not losing that much

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
        The drafts two deepest positions this year - WR and OL.

That looks like a solution waiting on our problem.

Nabers and best OT available in 2nd.
        Don't forget RB.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

This is my plan. If you stay at 5 - get the blockbuster skilled talent

If you trade down - still might be able to get talent but you are also building up more of your roster

Like you said, there are other rounds to build "infrastructure" - they can get an elite player for Herbert

That said - I trust Hortiz will find a WR in free agency and probably will draft one or two.

I know it seems like a lot the Chargers are losing but if MW is not on the field, not losing that much
          All true, and I'm pretty much in agreement.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post
            David Andrews was always a top target.
            Mark?

I think they will add another WR in FA.
            Tyler Boyd can probably be had for a good price on a 2-3 year deal. He's pretty decent. Good route runner, good hands, savvy, experienced.

I think they will add another WR in the draft too.
            I think WR will be their fist pick.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Send PM

Would you trade for Ravens' Mark Andrews? He was injured most of last season. But he's only 28 and before his injury he was right up there with Travis Kelce and George Kittle in play-making ability. He was the Ravens' 3rd round pick in 2018, the same season they drafted Hayden Hurst with their first pick and Lamar Jackson with their second pick. Andrews turned out to be much better than Hurst, he has been Lamar's best receiver. The Ravens might want to move on from him because of the emergence of Isaiah Likely, the TE out of Coastal Carolina they got in the 4th round of the 2022 draft - a lesson to be learned there too, you can find quality TE prospects in the mid rounds.

Mark Andrews has been one of the best tight ends in football throughout his career, but recent injuries could leave his future clouded in Baltimore.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I get that Harbaugh builds through the lines, but he can do that every draft moving forward, and in other rounds this draft. If you stay at 5, take BPA, take the blue chip stud weapon for Herbert the next 8 years while you are in the rare posiion at 5 to get a game changer like that.
                Thinking the same.
                also, the Ravens organization historically has drafted every other position better than WR, so you can extrapolate that to Joe.
                assuming Joe is able to build lines with every offseason, why not use this unique opportunity to get a "slam dunk" wr that he can't screw up?
                Say it takes Joe 3 offseasons to have our Oline and Dline established without spending a top 5 pick in just this draft class, suddenly you have a prime Nabers running free downfield on any given play.
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

WTS I'm going to be stubborn and stick to what my amateur eyes see and I think Bowers is still a better overall weapon and fit for us even at 5.
                  it's getting awfully lonesome here but he's too versatile, too high a floor and ceiling to pass up for me.
                  Last edited by 21&500; 03-20-2024, 10:13 AM.
                  P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                  P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                  P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                  P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    WTS I'm going to be stubborn and stick to what my amateur eyes see and I think Bowers is still a better overall weapon and fit for us even at 5.
                    it's getting awfully lonesome here but he's too versatile, to high a floor and ceiling to pass up for me.
                    You may be right. But, for the first time in a long time, I have faith in Chargers' management to make the right decision, and I'm going to sit back, relax, and let them figure it out.

Honestly though, if they remain at 5, Bowers, MHII or Nabers would be a good fit for us. IMO, there is no wrong answer among those three.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Would you trade for Ravens' Mark Andrews? He was injured most of last season. But he's only 28 and before his injury he was right up there with Travis Kelce and George Kittle in play-making ability. He was the Ravens' 3rd round pick in 2018, the same season they drafted Hayden Hurst with their first pick and Lamar Jackson with their second pick. Andrews turned out to be much better than Hurst, he has been Lamar's best receiver. The Ravens might want to move on from him because of the emergence of Isaiah Likely, the TE out of Coastal Carolina they got in the 4th round of the 2022 draft - a lesson to be learned there too, you can find quality TE prospects in the mid rounds.

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/b...-release-draft
                      I don't think Andrews makes sense for two reasons: injury history and cost to acquire (both in terms of salary and draft capital)

I think Hortiz and Harbaugh are taking the build it up approach and build for the next 4-5 years - a strong run

Now, can I see Hortiz drafting a TE in R3 or R4 that reminds him of Andrews if he doesn't take Brock Bowers in R1 - most def!

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I don't think Andrews makes sense for two reasons: injury history and cost to acquire (both in terms of salary and draft capital)

I think Hortiz and Harbaugh are taking the build it up approach and build for the next 4-5 years - a strong run

Now, can I see Hortiz drafting a TE in R3 or R4 that reminds him of Andrews if he doesn't take Brock Bowers in R1 - most def!
                        I agree. It would be nice to acquire a TE with Andrews' pass catching prowess. But probably not a good fit. I brought it up because Hortiz knows Andrews well.

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Ontario , Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          Mark?

Tyler Boyd can probably be had for a good price on a 2-3 year deal. He's pretty decent. Good route runner, good hands, savvy, experienced.

I think WR will be their fist pick.
                          Yes. Boyd or maybe OBJ. The rest of the FA are really limited: too old, slot guys, speed guys or smurfs.

Comment

Working...
                          X