How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scharnhorst43
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2023
    • Send PM

Build a WALL for Justin to work behind, and he will surgically dissect defenses, making even average WRs look good. Its going to be a run first team anyway, short yardage, TOP, wear down the D and quick short yardage passes to keep the chains moving. Justin got beat up last season and its in his psyche now. The wall is more important to build his internal confidence in the team again.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Scharnhorst43 View Post
      Build a WALL for Justin to work behind, and he will surgically dissect defenses, making even average WRs look good. Its going to be a run first team anyway, short yardage, TOP, wear down the D and quick short yardage passes to keep the chains moving. Justin got beat up last season and its in his psyche now. The wall is more important to build his internal confidence in the team again.
      Herbert had one WR who could get open consistently. Currently he has none. Being able to hold the ball longer will give him an opportunity to find a clean spot to throw it away without drawing a flag more often than not. He could use a #1.
      OL blocking in '23 was beyond bad. Shockingly so since the players were much better than that in '22. I blame it mainly on OC Moore.Guaranteed Slater, Johnson, Bozeman, Salyer, Pipkins will be better with coaches G-Ro, Brady and Devlin.
      If that's who they choose to start. I'm not worried about blocking. We have an offensive coaching staff that lives and breathes blocking, as opposed to the lame asses last year.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

sign some cheap veteran FA wide receivers after the draft to fill out the roster and roll with palmer and QJ as your top guys...
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
          sign some cheap veteran FA wide receivers after the draft to fill out the roster and roll with palmer and QJ as your top guys...
          Worst plan ever. I like those two, but c’mon, you really think we can win games - say playoff games - with them as starters? Down by three to the Chiefs, minute :28 left to play, 74 yards to go…really?

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
            Both of these guys can play a role, but neither Palmer nor Johnston are #1 WRs. The WR group needs one standout star like MHJ, with JP/QJ as WRs 2-3, the fill out the bottom.

Comment

• BigBad
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Worst plan ever. I like those two, but c’mon, you really think we can win games - say playoff games - with them as starters? Down by three to the Chiefs, minute :28 left to play, 74 yards to go…really?
              We play in the Chiefs division. Would you rather trade passing TDs and lose like the Bills did several times to the Chiefs or pound the rock and watch Mahomes pace the sideline as the clock ticks down?

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Herbert had one WR who could get open consistently. Currently he has none. Being able to hold the ball longer will give him an opportunity to find a clean spot to throw it away without drawing a flag more often than not. He could use a #1.
                OL blocking in '23 was beyond bad. Shockingly so since the players were much better than that in '22. I blame it mainly on OC Moore.Guaranteed Slater, Johnson, Bozeman, Salyer, Pipkins will be better with coaches G-Ro, Brady and Devlin.
                If that's who they choose to start. I'm not worried about blocking. We have an offensive coaching staff that lives and breathes blocking, as opposed to the lame asses last year.
                Bozeman wasn't a Charger last year. Zion Johnson was probably in a sophomore slump, we'll see if lives up to justify where he was drafted. Salyer isn't that good, he's overrated. Moore is better than Lombardi. The offense was just a mess. You can blame the coaching staff, but Telesco was the bigger problem. Thankfully he's not the Chargers' GM anymore.

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

We play in the Chiefs division. Would you rather trade passing TDs and lose like the Bills did several times to the Chiefs or pound the rock and watch Mahomes pace the sideline as the clock ticks down?
                Playing keep away? What's the point of that if you don't score touchdowns? Or let alone a field goal. Good offenses are going to score anyways. Especially given how rules and the way league ridiculously favors offenses now. All the teams who lost to KC turned the ball over in instances that could've helped them or didn't capitalize on a drive when they needed to. If you're thinking of beating them the same way Denver did, or how the Bengals play them tough, we don't have the pieces. At least not yet.

For those thinking we can't beat the Chiefs at their own game. We did in 2021. You also have to beat them in taking care of the ball better.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Bozeman wasn't a Charger last year. Zion Johnson was probably in a sophomore slump, we'll see if lives up to justify where he was drafted. Salyer isn't that good, he's overrated. Moore is better than Lombardi. The offense was just a mess. You can blame the coaching staff, but Telesco was the bigger problem. Thankfully he's not the Chargers' GM anymore.

Playing keep away? What's the point of that if you don't score touchdowns? Or let alone a field goal. Good offenses are going to score anyways. Especially given how rules and the way league ridiculously favors offenses now. All the teams who lost to KC turned the ball over in instances that could've helped them or didn't capitalize on a drive when they needed to. If you're thinking of beating them the same way Denver did, or how the Bengals play them tough, we don't have the pieces. At least not yet.

For those thinking we can't beat the Chiefs at their own game. We did in 2021. You also have to beat them in taking care of the ball better.
                  What about last year's Offense looked better to you than when Lombardi was OC?
                  Bozeman replaced Clapp. I was listing potential 2024 starting OL.
                  Salyer wasn't overrated when he replaced Slater in '22. He was shockingly good.
                  Granted the O was a mess in '23. Blocking schemes appeared to be every man for himself. It's up to the OC to install some kind of OL team concept they can execute. Moore had nothing to offer. Looks like McCarthy must have been carrying him in Dallas. No wonder Dal got better when Moore left.

Comment

• BigBad
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

I in no way want to take the ball out of Herbert's hands but fewer dropbacks and a REAL running game will make the passing game easier/better.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                      Chargers Hall of Fame
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Both of these guys can play a role, but neither Palmer nor Johnston are #1 WRs. The WR group needs one standout star like MHJ, with JP/QJ as WRs 2-3, the fill out the bottom.
                      So if we draft MHJ or Nabers with pick #5 (which I advocate, hell, I'd even take Bowers if I could...he's the one I want), how does it look on game day? If MHJ is WR#1, how do the others fall? Who is in the slot?

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

So if we draft MHJ or Nabers with pick #5 (which I advocate, hell, I'd even take Bowers if I could...he's the one I want), how does it look on game day? If MHJ is WR#1, how do the others fall? Who is in the slot?
                        MHJ, Nabers or Bowers are the #1 receiver (Bowers akin to Kelce or Gates).

#2-#3 depend on who steps up between Palmer and QJ. At this point I'd put Palmer at #2 over QJ.

#4-#5 DD and a WR to be figured out later. Could be a day 3 draft pick, could be a FA, could even be Guyton, who will have had a full year+ of recovery. I don't know if Guyton fits their mold though, he's useless as a blocker.

I don't think they will keep more than 5 WRs on the roster, especially if they draft Bowers, they aren't going to keep more than 5 WR on the roster.

Don't rule out signing a more higher quality veteran FA such as Tyler Boyd. Boyd would fill the void left by KA's departure. Boyd is not quite on KA's level, but he's a good route runner with reliable hands who knows how to get open. He would also bring a veteran presence to the WR room, which is missing right now. Boyd would compete for #2 or #3 if the Chargers go Bowers or WR at #5 (or even if they get Odunze in a trade down). It's also possible they could not draft a WR on day 1 or 2 and sign a veteran like Boyd after the draft, and it would be a three-way competition between said veteran FA, Palmer and QJ for the dominant WR. But with this draft being so loaded with 1st and 2nd round talent who could be week 1 starters, it makes more sense they will draft one on day 1 or early on day 2.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Palmer has played in the slot for us. Would imagine we will draft or sign another WR as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X