• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
    It's everybody's job to get his team out of bad plays. By KNSD's "reasoning", we might as well blame everybody. Blame Rivers for not change out of Whiz's calls. Blame Gordon for not remind Rivers to get out of Whiz's calls. Gordon certainly has the authority to communicate and remind his teammate. There are no rules prevent him from doing that, lol.
    How far up Rivers' ass are you anyways? I think it's pretty reasonable for a "Hall of Fame" 13th year QB to audible out of bad plays. You may think he's a fucking robot.

But if he didn't have time to audible out of a bad play, then maybe he should have used one of the timeouts the team had. Or maybe he ought to run the bad play and lose the game instead.

Whatever. Lots of options a well coached team would have already figured out before they got into that situation. So yeah in the end it is coaching.
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Something to consider is that QB doesn't make judgments about what are "good" and "bad" plays. That puts the QB in a position to second guess the OC, which means you have the wrong OC running your offense. That is somewhere that no OC and QB want to go to.

NFL offenses audible in and out of specific plays to better plays. That means they see a defense that matches up against the play call, they switch to something that will work against THAT SPECIFIC defense. Rivers isn't going to start second guessing the OC just for the fun of it. That is NOT what audibles are for. But it also means if he didn't think that a given play called was a horrible mismatch, then he is going to run with it. So Rivers is thinking about routes, matchups, and leverage.

If you think a QB is going to just go up to the line, and call a goalline run out of the personnel group we had in there, you're kidding yourself. Rivers has all the freedom to change to something that has been discussed and mapped out during the week, but he doesn't just go out and second guess the OC. That would be as toxic a situation as you can have when the players start ignoring the coaching staff. And if he was doing that, why do you think he wouldn't do it in the huddle?

The flip side is that Rivers does have a lot of liberties about how an individual play is run. He can change the protection, maybe even change which receiver runs which route, depending on what he sees. That is technically not changing the play. But these are all things that he can do at the line, that fall short of completely changing the play.

Comment

• Steve
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • South Carolina
        • Meteorologist
        • Send PM

Matt Slauson expressed disappointment in the Chargers' play-calling against Denver -- 51 passes, 26 runs -- on a day the team had 123 rushing yards.

Chargers' commitment to run game
        10:24 PM ET
        Eric D. Williams
        ESPN Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO -- Against perhaps the best defense in the NFL, the San Diego Chargers were having their best day of the season running the football.

Yet, veteran center Matt Slauson was frustrated by these numbers at the end of his team’s 27-19 loss to the Denver Broncos on Sunday -- 51 passes and 26 runs on the day.

The Chargers totaled 123 rushing yards against the Broncos, with Melvin Gordon recording 100 yards on the ground for the second time this season.

In this conversation with The Mighty 1090 AM radio on Monday, Slauson questioned his team’s commitment to running the football.

“I could just feel it on every offensive lineman’s face,” Slauson said. “I could see with every pass that was called was more and more frustration -- even on [QB Philip Rivers'] face, there was frustration.

“We didn’t have time to really debate if we liked a call. Our job is to get the call and block the call. So it isn’t our decision what to do there. I would have loved to have said, ‘No, we’re not doing that. Do this.’ But I don’t have that authority, and we didn’t have the time for that.”

Slauson said he was disappointed that the Chargers did not call a single running play from the 2-yard line in four plays with a chance to tie the game late in the fourth quarter.

“It’s an extreme confidence boost when a coach puts it in on you as a big guy,” Slauson said. “It just makes us feel good, makes us feel the faith and confidence. Unfortunately, we didn’t get that opportunity.”

Slauson suggested the Chargers had trouble at times getting the calls in from the sideline in a timely manner, although he backed off that claim in a conversation with reporters later in the day.

Asked about any concerns getting calls in, Chargers coach Mike McCoy said his team had no such issues.

Slauson also clarified his statement about the frustration with the lack of running plays during a conversation with reporters in the locker room at Chargers Park on Monday.

“As an offensive lineman, I want to run the ball every play,” Slauson said. “If I had my way, it would be 75 plays of just running the ball. But the reality is I’m not in charge of calling plays. That’s [Ken] Whisenhunt’s job, and he’s a fabulous coordinator, and I’ve got all the confidence in the world in him.

“I want to run it all the time, but I don’t have time to be yelling at Phil, like, ‘Why aren’t we running it?’ I’m not going to do that. We’re there to block, score and win. And we didn’t get it done.”

Fellow offensive lineman Orlando Franklin agreed with Slauson, but also said it’s his job to execute whatever play is called.

“I get paid to block,” Franklin said. “I don’t get paid to call plays. I’m not a playcaller. I don’t sit in these meetings with these coaches as far as going over game plans right now today, and on Thursday night what we’re going to do on goal line and in the red zone.

“As an offensive lineman I definitely want to run the ball. And I want to run the ball more than we throw the ball. But the reality is you’re going to do whatever’s called.”

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think and I can be wrong I think McCoy may be the influencing factor, there is no reason why Gordon should of not got at least one touch running the ball or two. Whiz is a good and creative play caller, you really think he is not going to mix a run in to at least keep the defense off balance. Rivers has the ability to audible out of a call right sure he does. Is the directive from McCoy to Whiz don't run Gordon I don't want to lose on a potential fumble, also let Rivers know to stay with the play called it is on me.

McCoy just scared to go down swinging. If Whiz called those four pass plays and McCoy can override the OC, especially on 3rd down look they been coming at Rivers hard all day, so run a draw or quick trap and if they stop us call your best play on 4th. If Rivers knows it is a bad play and doesn't audible out of it it is all on Rivers, unless McCoy has made it clear in the last minutes and critical plays of the game go with what is called.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

It's been said and Slausen confirmed that Rivers didn't have time to change the plays. They were too slow getting plays in.

Comment

• KNSD
              Registered Charger Hater
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
              ...o run a draw ....
              If calling four straight passes was so bad.. Think about how bad it would be if the draw on the GL didn't work! This thread would be the best click-bait on the internet!
              Prediction:
              Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
              Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
              Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• vinabolt
                Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                • Feb 2015
                • Send PM

Now you're blaming him for not calling timeout? Lol, you're start to be worse and more painful than Yuba, if that even possible.

It's not about Rivers. It's about all QB. You're the one who ridiculously target Rivers for no reason.

The QB's job is NOT to second guess the coach. The coach's job is to call plays. The QB's job is to execute what was called, by the coach.

There are something extra that he could have done differently. But you don't blame him in this case. It's not his main responsibility. You should blame the whoever calling the stupid plays, instead of being stupid and blame the other guy, and look like an idiot in the process, lol.

It called common sense. Deep down inside you know you're wrong.

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                How far up Rivers' ass are you anyways? I think it's pretty reasonable for a "Hall of Fame" 13th year QB to audible out of bad plays. You may think he's a fucking robot.

But if he didn't have time to audible out of a bad play, then maybe he should have used one of the timeouts the team had. Or maybe he ought to run the bad play and lose the game instead.

Whatever. Lots of options a well coached team would have already figured out before they got into that situation. So yeah in the end it is coaching.
                Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  It's been said and Slausen confirmed that Rivers didn't have time to change the plays. They were too slow getting plays in.

I put it on McCoy the coach sets the atmosphere. It probably went down like this; McCoy is in communication with Whiz

1st Down:
                  Whiz I am dialing up run to Gordon.
                  McCoy no call something else
                  Whiz okay we can run this pass play

2nd Down:
                  Whiz I am going to run Gordon we been ramming the ball down their throat this quarter
                  McCoy no Gordon might fumble
                  Whiz we been killing them running the ball this quarter and if we don't make we got 3rd and 4th down
                  McCoy call a dam pass

3rd Down:
                  Whiz I guess you want me too pass it a gain
                  McCoy talking to himself (if Gordon fumbles we can lose the game, man I don't know if I can take that)
                  Whiz time is running down you want me to pass it again right
                  McCoy Hell yeah with 10 seconds left Whiz sends for the pass

4th Down:
                  McCoy do you think we catch them off guard with a run
                  Whiz you just caught me off guard you want to run it now
                  McCoy no that would be to risky you know we should of ran on 2nd or 3rd the more I think about it
                  Whiz talking to himself (McCoy is a dumb ass) okay coach sending in for the pass only 11 seconds on play clock
                  McCoy Hell yeah what is taking you so long to call a play

Rivers at the line 4 seconds left on play clock "Gosh darn I wish I had more time they did the same darn thing on 3rd down I don't have time to change the play"
                  Last edited by OhioBolt; 11-01-2016, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Boltergeist
                    Pesky apparition
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Baja Oklahoma
                    • Send PM

If I remember correctly, we only had a back in the backfield on one down and that play was from the shotgun. I would complain less about the four passes if there had been at least the threat of a run other than everyone's favorite draw and that only on one play. On every other play, we basically announced that we were going to pass against a team whose pass rush was killing our OL and whose DBs were shutting down our routes. No Talib? We were down to Gates and Inman as healthy options as pass catchers. But, yeah, Rivers should have audibled to a sneak. And, yes, he should have hit Gates on the throw to the left corner, so he gets blame, too, but it's the coaches' job to put a team in the best situation to succeed. If people don't see that, I'll agree to disagree with their wrong analysis of the situation.
                    Last edited by Boltergeist; 11-01-2016, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• vinabolt
                      Vietnamese Chargers' Fan
                      • Feb 2015
                      • Send PM

It doesn't matter if the play was late coming in or not. When the play call sucks, the coach got called out, not the QBs.

Who the hell in his/her right mind blame the players for bad playcalling? This is the first time I've ever heard it from any fan from any team, lol. When the playcalling are bad, fans point fingers at the coaches, the playcaller, whoever responsible for the playcall. We don't blame the QBs, the players for bad playcall, period.

The fact that the play was late coming in make the Rivers blaming sounds even more silly and ridiculous.

Follow me and my wife here: https://twitter.com/gossip_lady_se

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Doubt it

Comment

fender57
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM