• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rugger05
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I believe Telesco is good at finding talent on the last round of training camp cuts (DL from the Lions Reid was a solid depth guy) and poaching Tommeer from the Faiders was a solid pick up also

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
      Well, he did steal Casey Hayward.
      Danny Woodhead wasn't bad either.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

FA is like the draft, most guys aren't all that. If they were we'd be watching supermen every weekend.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

WE've gotten a few good FA. Woodhead, Heyward, Mebane, Patrick Robinson...

A few bad ones Derek Cox, Fraklin, Jimmy Wilson, Jacoby Jones, ...

And a few in between. Mixed bag really.

If you look at FA signings, I don't think league wide, other teams do much better. FA you are banking on the player performing like they did before, but now that they feel like they have made it, they often don't play at the same level. That is why I think lower level signings like Woodhead or Heyward tend to do better. They are still playing for a big contract down the road.

Unless you are a team like NE or Denver, where you are playing for a SB, then guy tend to feel like they have made it. For Denver, their guys are motivated because it is SB or bust every year. Same with NE. The Chargers (and the other 30 teams) are not in the same boat, so their results vary somewhat.

I think the general strategy is that teams like to address problem areas with mid-level FA so that they are not forced to use top draft picks in areas of need. TOp draft picks are hit or miss anyway, but to force them to play too soon ruins the players confidence. It would have been nice to address OL with some mid-tier FA. Maybe next year. But at least this draft is not the kind of thing that is going to have us reaching for OL types too early. It's just not that kind of draft.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Chargers should make a run at Richard Sherman
            Posted by Mike Florio on April 9, 2017, 7:14 PM EDT

Getty Images
            As the trade talk involving Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman lingers, there’s one destination that makes too much sense to ever happen.

The Los Angeles Chargers.

Apart from the familiarity between Sherman and new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley, Sherman is a Compton, California native whose presence would instantly boost the newcomers to L.A. in their competition for the hearts, minds, and wallets of the citizens of the City of Angels. In a sport that remains at its core an entertainment business, a significant potential benefit would come from marketing a great player with a dynamic personality in a major market that has gone from zero to two NFL franchise in the last 15 months.

So what would it take to get Sherman? The Chargers hold the 38th overall pick in the draft, which perhaps would get Seattle’s attention — especially if the situation has gotten to the point at which the Seahawks will simply take the best offer they can get.

Sherman surely wants to play for a contender. But if the Chargers are willing to extend his contract and pay him accordingly for the money he’ll help them make in L.A., maybe he’d be willing to take his chances in the final years of the Philip Rivers era, especially with guys like Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram forming the foundation of the team’s pass rush.

The bottom line on this one would be the bottom line, however. The Chargers need to thrive financially in Los Angeles. Until they can develop superstars who will excite the local fan base naturally, it makes sense to find a way to import a superstar or two. Importing a superstar who grew up locally, who has as strong a following as any defensive player in the NFL, and who will make the team better will make him worth every penny and then some in the critical early years of the Rams vs. Chargers fight for L.A.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• chargerkdb
              Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Hotter than hell, Georgia
              • Send PM

If we went with a 2nd and maybe a late round or pick swap, I'd do it. Nothing more. He's a good player, his media hype and ego are through the roof but he would still be a big addition to our team.

Comment

• CTrout
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Not sure I'd want to give up our 2nd for him. I might consider swapping 2nds and 3rds with them (38 for 58 and 71 for 90)...but I doubt that would interest Seattle.

Plus if Hayward has another great year and Verrett stays healthy you'd almost have to eventually let one of them walk or pour a ton of $$$$ into the CB position.

Comment

• chargerkdb
                  Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by CTrout View Post
                  Not sure I'd want to give up our 2nd for him. I might consider swapping 2nds and 3rds with them (38 for 58 and 71 for 90)...but I doubt that would interest Seattle.

Plus if Hayward has another great year and Verrett stays healthy you'd almost have to eventually let one of them walk or pour a ton of $$$$ into the CB position.
                  We still need a 3rd corner though. We aren't going to draft one in the 1st and I don't see any in the 2nd that would play better over next 2-3 years than Sherman. A 2nd rounder has about a 30% chance of being a top quality starter, Sherman still has miles on him and would have a 100% chance of being a quality starter. My biggest concern with him would be if his attitude could become cancerous, Seattle shopping him for a reason. Playing-wise he is worth our 2nd straight up

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

A #2 for Sherman is a solid offer.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Mostly likely a 2nd round exchange for Sherman. We need players, and it gives a good deal of value to Seattle for a player with a HUGE salary. We would have to start cutting players in order to free up cap space to be able to sign our rookies. We have $13+ mill in free space, but our 1st round pick alone costs $3.5 million. (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-chargers/cap/)

Sherman costs about $10 million more per season than a 2nd round pick does. Sherman's base salary is $11.4 million and a 2nd rounder costs about $1.2 million.

That plus Sherman is an UFA in 2019, so there is likely a good deal of negotiations that would need to take place. Even then, Sherman is the kinda whiny, bitchy player who insists on being among the highest paid at his position, but then seems to complain when he falls behind because he got the long term deal. If guys like him want the big bonus, then they will fall behind their peers and that is all there is to it.

Richard Sherman contract and salary cap details, including signing bonus, guaranteed salary, dead money, roster bonuses, and contract history

Los Angeles Chargers salary cap, contracts, bonus money, dead money, and cap savings for every player

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Seattle wants a Good Player AND a good pick for Sherman. Swapping picks or a 2nd won't get him.
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• chargerkdb
                          Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                          Seattle wants a Good Player AND a good pick for Sherman. Swapping picks or a 2nd won't get him.
                          That's what they are asking now. We will see what he ends up moving for if he moves at all. I would consider our 2 straight up but no more

Comment

Working...
                          X