• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    His dead money hit after the season is $1.625M. He has a roster bonus of $1M next year. If he was to be on the team next year he would cost $5.125M against the cap. Our cap situation is not great next year so we have to think we will be dumping starters from this season with people like Hardwick, Clary, Royal and Freeney being among those who would save us the most.
    and you have to wonder why Rivers renegotiated.
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Still trying to gut the team??? Only two games in? Ok, but it seems like a long way to go about saying, "if we dont suck this year we will suck soon.". Doesnt it?
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
        and you have to wonder why Rivers renegotiated.
        He just moved some guaranteed money from this year over his last two years. It does make it more expensive to cut him next year but taken in context how much he makes it isn't that much if he has another bad season this year.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

You start with not keeping the players who were not performing well vs there piers... You know like Martin, Jamer, Phillips, and Cason...
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

So far Rivers is not in that Catagory...
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

He just moved some guaranteed money from this year over his last two years. It does make it more expensive to cut him next year but taken in context how much he makes it isn't that much if he has another bad season this year.
              What was the teams motivation?
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                Still trying to gut the team??? Only two games in? Ok, but it seems like a long way to go about saying, "if we dont suck this year we will suck soon.". Doesnt it?
                I am just pointing out that the 4 players I mention will account for about $23M of our cap space which is about 18.5%. If you add Rivers into that mix you are up to $40M and about 32% accounting for only 5 players. Royal is doing well right now but he has a history of injuries so I wonder if you keep him at $6M next year or let him walk for a savings of $4.5. Hardwick is not going to get an extension and I doubt that Clary does. So we either pay them the ~$12M between them or let them go. Freeney wasn't in our plans prior to the injury to Ingram and I view him as a rent-a-dude for a year. Honestly, I don't think he is as good as some on here think. I could add that Rinehart is on a one year deal as well.

Of course, I am also not one who thinks this is playoff contending team this year, much less a SB contender so I tend to look ahead.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

We were trying to trade for Trent Richardson...
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

The cap is swiss cheese...
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

What was the teams motivation?
                      They made room this year by converting guaranteed salary to a signing bonus which pushes some of his burden forward. I don't know what the motivation for it was other than to get more cap room this year. They still have about $1M in roster bonuses due to Hardwick and Clary to pay as well as whatever performance bonus will be due to Freeney (though at his current rate of 0.25 sacks/game would probably not cost us much if anything).

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

They made room this year by converting guaranteed salary to a signing bonus which pushes some of his burden forward. I don't know what the motivation for it was other than to get more cap room this year. They still have about $1M in roster bonuses due to Hardwick and Clary to pay as well as whatever performance bonus will be due to Freeney (though at his current rate of 0.25 sacks/game would probably not cost us much if anything).
                        Thats what I'm asking. What was their motivation?

I don't need to be told how it impacted the cap. I already know that.

Why did they do it?
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Thats what I'm asking. What was their motivation?

I don't need to be told how it impacted the cap. I already know that.

Why did they do it?
                          How the hell would I know why they did it? Like I said, they owe both Hardwick and Freeney another million for being on the roster until at some point this season. They also will owe Freeney some money should he get to certain thresholds of sacks (I would guess the first comes in at 5 but that is just a guess). They also will need to keep some money in reserve to sign players to replace those lost with injuries. Some here thing that it was done to extend Butler but I just don't see much being left after the above. Any money not spent can then be applied to next year's cap though I don't expect a great windfall.

Comment

Working...
                          X