• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    How the hell would I know why they did it? Like I said, they owe both Hardwick and Freeney another million for being on the roster until at some point this season. They also will owe Freeney some money should he get to certain thresholds of sacks (I would guess the first comes in at 5 but that is just a guess). They also will need to keep some money in reserve to sign players to replace those lost with injuries. Some here thing that it was done to extend Butler but I just don't see much being left after the above. Any money not spent can then be applied to next year's cap though I don't expect a great windfall.
    So you think the signing of Freeney might've impacted their ability to sign Butler?
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
      So you think the signing of Freeney might've impacted their ability to sign Butler?
      You very well know that is the biggest reason why I didn't like the signing of Freeney. I have been pretty consistent in saying that I am looking about 3 years down the road - the epic win against the magnificent Eagles notwithstanding.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
        No Sir, I Dont Like It
        • Jun 2013
        • Section 457
        • Migrant Film Worker
        • Send PM

Rivers is not gonna have another crappy year, so........

Time to not worry your pretty little heads over it
        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
        sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Petty not pretty
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• oneinchpunch
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post

wasnt talking about rivers
            Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post

I made a remark that in the context of his total salary what money that was moved wouldn't be enough to preclude that Rivers wouldn't be cut if he had another bad year.

So far he hasn't been bad enough to warrant cutting him but it has been just two games (one of which he reverted back to his old self in the second half). Cutting him was always rather unlikely though it is funny to add that people on this board said we couldn't get much for him in trade prior to the year.

Comment

• TTK
                EX-Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • America's Finest City
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                We were trying to trade for Trent Richardson...
                Now that would be interesting news...

Comment

• Yubaking
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                  I know some posters and fans think the Chargers overpaid for a declining player. But I think this article (click link for the whole thing) sheds some light on the value Freeney is bringing to the team so far this young season (and off season).

TG

His 11 quarterback hurries are most among NFL linebackers, and he's also totaled three quarterback hits. He may not always be getting there for a sack, but he often is close enough to affect a passer's comfort in the pocket.
                  The hurries and hits mean almost nothing. We are yielding nearly 70% in opponent completion percentage and are dead last in passing yards allowed despite getting a hurry or hit on 43.8% of passing snaps. People are raving about Freeney, hugely overstating his impact, which has been minimal.

Comment

• Panama
                    パナマ
                    • Aug 2013
                    • London
                    • Opera singer and web developer.
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                    Of course, I am also not one who thinks this is playoff contending team this year, much less a SB contender so I tend to look ahead.
                    But, but, but... We were the Eagles home-opening opponent! Our championship is predestined!
                    Adipose

Comment

• thelightningwill
                      Go Aztecs and Pads
                      • Jul 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Yubaking View Post
                      The hurries and hits mean almost nothing. We are yielding nearly 70% in opponent completion percentage and are dead last in passing yards allowed despite getting a hurry or hit on 43.8% of passing snaps. People are raving about Freeney, hugely overstating his impact, which has been minimal.
                      Hurrying a QB means nothing? Really?
                      I didn't understand hiring Freeney when the entire theme of the offseason seemed to be to get rid of old players to force the coaches to give young players a chance to prove themselves.
                      But I can't complain about the way Freeney is playing.
                      Last edited by thelightningwill; 09-22-2013, 06:26 AM.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
                        Hurrying a QB means nothing? Really?
                        I didn't understand hiring Freeney when the entire theme of the offseason seemed to be to get rid of old players to force the coaches to give young players a chance to prove themselves.
                        But I can't complain about the way Freeney is playing.
                        When I read some of his posts, it's almost as if he doesn't even watch the games. Freeney seems to be about the only one on the entire team generating any kind of a pass rush. Liuget and Reyes have had virtually zero impact in the passing department and that more than anything has been killing us.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                          Go Aztecs and Pads
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          When I read some of his posts, it's almost as if he doesn't even watch the games. Freeney seems to be about the only one on the entire team generating any kind of a pass rush. Liuget and Reyes have had virtually zero impact in the passing department and that more than anything has been killing us.
                          Liuget and Reyes aren't so good without Franklin. We need a nose tackle.
                          Same thing happened to Castillo and Igor when Jamal Williams stopped being the best NT in the game.
                          Last edited by thelightningwill; 09-22-2013, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X